Oolite Community Suggestions for Beginner OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jblpz
Average
Average

Oolite Community Suggestions for Beginner OXPs

Post by jblpz »

Hi,

Just getting into Oolite, and was curious if there were any OXPs out there that are generally considered "recommended" by the Oolite communityl, which enhances the overall game-play or which implements some things within Oolite which really should be in the standard release.

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on anything, even as a beginner, that would make the overall Oolite experience more enjoyable.

Thanks!

jblpz
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

(Points to signature)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

This has been asked a few times before, take a look at https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7455
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

it kinda depends on how good your computer is. There are some OXPs that should be run only on very good computers, like Famous Planets or Griff's ships....and you might end up like me with 500 MB OXP folder.
jblpz
Average
Average

Post by jblpz »

Cmdr James wrote:
This has been asked a few times before, take a look at https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7455
Guess it's time to create a section specifically related to this question on the Oolite Wiki. Guess I'll get it started.. I'll send a PM to 'Winston' to have a Oolite wiki account created.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

There's some powerful oxp ships that can eat a starting commander's lunch in short order. It's best to avoid installing those till you have built up an iron ass and considerable combat skills.

Otherwise, easy Chart 1 mission packs, flavor packs, and equipment packs are highly recommended. :)

Happy trading, Commander.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

jblpz wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
Guess it's time to create a section specifically related to this question on the Oolite Wiki. Guess I'll get it started.. I'll send a PM to 'Winston' to have a Oolite wiki account created.
This has also been discussed :)

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7343&start=105
jblpz
Average
Average

Post by jblpz »

Cmdr James wrote:
jblpz wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:

Looks like someone was trying to do something.. they did a whole site with nice graphics, etc.. but I don't think they got around to doing the recommended OXPs part.

In any case, I think it's probably best to have that information on the Oolite Wiki itself. Concentrate on the content, and let the wiki handle the rest.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

BTW, welcome to the Friendliest Forum this side o' Reidquat! :D

Can I interest you in a fuzzy burger filling...err, ship's mascot? Only 30cr! :wink:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

jblpz wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
jblpz wrote:

Looks like someone was trying to do something.. they did a whole site with nice graphics, etc.. but I don't think they got around to doing the recommended OXPs part.

In any case, I think it's probably best to have that information on the Oolite Wiki itself. Concentrate on the content, and let the wiki handle the rest.
Did you read the first post on the link I posted?
Ahruman wrote:
Lucidor wrote:
But we could have a "recommended OXPs" page with a selection of the most popular.
No.
jblpz
Average
Average

Post by jblpz »

Cmdr James wrote:
jblpz wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:

Did you read the first post on the link I posted?
Ahruman wrote:
Lucidor wrote:
But we could have a "recommended OXPs" page with a selection of the most popular.
No.

Yeah, read that.. doesn't mean it can't be done.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It can be done, but from a personal point of view, I tend not to go against Ahrumans wishes. He is the guy running the whole show after all :)

EDIT: OK look, I might come across as negative about your ideas, I dont mean to. Its great that you are trying to contribute, but I think in this case its worth doing some background reading as a lot of this ground has been covered already. If you want to add to the discussion, then you might like to focus on the existing threads about OXP choices.
Last edited by Cmdr James on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jblpz
Average
Average

Post by jblpz »

Cmdr James wrote:
It can be done, but from a personal point of view, I tend not to go against Ahrumans wishes. He is the guy running the whole show after all :)
Haha.. okay, but it's not like we're taking anything away, or putting any extra burden on him. We're just talking about putting up a section on the Oolite wiki. I think the reason why he said "No." was that someone was asking for him to put up a "recommended OXPs.." section on the oolite.org website itself, which he would have to maintain. I don't see any reason why he would be against the community doing/maintaining something like that, as long as it doesn't put any extra work on his shoulders.

I'm new here, so if I'm missing something, my sincere apologies.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

OK, full quote, explaining why Ahruman doesn't want this. I think its pretty clear that this isn't just about workload. He also says how he would like to progress the idea.
Ahruman wrote:
Lucidor wrote:
No.

Firstly, that would require an “official” rating of OXPs, which gets political and messy and leads to an uneven playing field.

Secondly, it would have to be kept up to date, and I want a site that requires minimal maintenance and changes. (This is a major reason why there is no news section or blog on the current site.)

On the other hand, I have previously said that if there were a community-selected recommended starter pack (consisting of a bundle of separate OXPs for simplicity), I would be happy to advertise that on oolite.org.
As you are new, I guess a quick intro to the 2 key players might be in order.
There is one true creator of oolite, Giles (aegidian) and one guy who is now the lead developer and is single handedly responsible for most of what happens on the project, Ahruman. I guess neither of them is above criticism or debate, but I would certainly play it cautiously and not go directly against their wishes.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It is possible that I am misrepresenting Ahruman, on re-reading, this is a comment on most popular OXPs not strictly good beginner OXPs.