Rare look inside a Russian Typhoon sub

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Rare look inside a Russian Typhoon sub

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ever wondered what it was like inside a Soviet 'boomer' submarine?

Heres a photo set from English Russia. A guided tour of the star of Hunt for Red October. Now you can see how close or not close Hollywood got in the speculations of what one looked like.

Only 3 of the 6 originally built are left. Now they sit, tied to a dock in Polyarny, quietly rotting away. Waiting in line to have the reactor cores taken out, and be broken up for scrap. Someday. There's a huge long line in front of them. Interesting to see that the reactor control board is still running, and that gauge in the reactor room is reading mid scale. The plants are still active even if shut down. Cooling water has to circulate even if they are just sitting there.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=2525
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thanks for the link - the vitriol in the comments section was quite amazing! (and sad)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

It seems a shame that such great vessels are in their current situation. Sad. They were, and still are, significant naval achievements.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Definitely, the ships that had over half the world scared for 20 years or more...
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CptnEcho wrote:
It seems a shame that such great vessels are in their current situation. Sad. They were, and still are, significant naval achievements.
Well, I don't share your admiration. First of all they are brutal and oversized weapons. And I definitely prefer to see them rot over having them used.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Now if only the other side would see the light and follow suit.. <heavy sigh>
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

CptnEcho wrote:
I think that Sea Shepherds should buy one and go hunting the Japanese and Icelandic whaling ships!! :twisted:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Judging by the video of the Ady Gil, Id say Sea Shephard should save their money.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

JazHaz wrote:
I think that Sea Shepherds should buy one and go hunting the Japanese and Icelandic whaling ships!! :twisted:
No thanks. They endanger the lives of too many people with the equipment they already have. If it were up to me, they would be put ashore permanently.

As for the sub, it's interesting to see just how much the equipment differ from that on an US sub - not a single XBox to be seen!
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CheeseRedux wrote:
As for the sub, it's interesting to see just how much the equipment differ from that on an US sub - not a single XBox to be seen!
They did have that arcade submarine game though! :lol:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Now if only the other side would see the light and follow suit.. <heavy sigh>
Oh, don’t worry. They’ll also be bankrupt in a few years. Well, more clearly bankrupt than now.
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Commander McLane wrote:
CptnEcho wrote:
Well, I don't share your admiration. First of all they are brutal and oversized weapons. And I definitely prefer to see them rot over having them used.
While they may not be operational now, I think their nuclear reactor specifications are capable of powering an entire city.

Imagine, a powerplant that can be sailed to disaster zones to aid with relief efforts. If that isn't practical, how about an oceanic research vessel?
Or an oceanic pirate hunter?

As for their being weapons platforms. A weapon that deterred both sides from going to war seems to have served its purpose, in my opinion.
The Mutually Assured Destruction idea may not have universal support, but it did work. So, if it's "stupid" but still works, it's not "stupid" according to Murphy's Laws.

The ships are now old and rusting. If it were cost-effective to revitalize them, update their equipment and give them new missions, I'd encourage doing so.

Imagine, a Typhoon class Luxury Yacht. 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Commander McLane wrote:
CptnEcho wrote:
I sympathise with both of you.

Clearly they were machines built to be able to inflict terrifying carnage upon a political foe, and nuclear missiles are amongst the most indiscriminate and horrifying weapons mankind has ever unleashed, much to our shame...

...However, there is a poignancy in seeing a vessel, through no fault of its own, slowly being allowed to decay. Though it is nothing more than a collection of bolts, panels and wiring, somehow they are more than just the sum of their parts. We have a tendency to imprint our emotions on ships, planes, cars. It is us that defines their purpose, not them.

If we find them horrifying, it's only a mirror to mankind itself.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

drew wrote:

...However, there is a poignancy in seeing a vessel, through no fault of its own, slowly being allowed to decay. Though it is nothing more than a collection of bolts, panels and wiring, somehow they are more than just the sum of their parts. We have a tendency to imprint our emotions on ships, planes, cars. It is us that defines their purpose, not them.
Drew.
Well said.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It's a sad fact that most of the technological advances in our modern world are primarily due to the efforts of people trying to find more interesting ways of killing each other and stopping the enemy doing the same back.

Like I said somewhere before, I'm a child of the Cold War, brought up through my formative years with the ever present threat of nuclear annihilation. I look back on the terror and uncertainty of waking up to a mushroom cloud with a very strange romantic nostalgia. Why? Because I'm also a big fan of military technology, no matter what its purpose was.

Without wars there would be no airliners, computers, fast cars, land rovers, humvees, digital watches (hee hee) etc. True, there would be less guns, killing and so on and much fewer boxes being shipped back from Afghanistan.

The technophobe in me loves all the technology. The Cold War bred the F-16, F-14, SR-71 (ooh), MiG-29, SU-27, MiG-25, Tu-95, B-52, M1-A1, AH-64A, Tornado, Mi-24 Hind and, yes, the Typhoon class. All pinnacles of their particular design philosophy.

I think it's sad to see these great machines rotting in a graveyard. Nothing makes me sadder than the aircraft graveyard in Tucson, Arizona. F-14s and B-52s (amongst others) lying slowly rusting to nothing. Never again to soar majestically into the sunset...

:cry: