Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bangbangduck wrote:
I am surprised this classic hasn't been requested..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberator_ ... e%27s_7%29
The Liberator can be found in Random Hits, although it's not available as a standalone OXP, so far as I'm aware.
Bangbangduck wrote:
EDIT: Your going to tell me there is a Liberator aren't you....
Your psychic powers are amazing.. :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

spud42 wrote:
wow i cant believe nobody even commented on this request.........lets hope someone gives it a go.... lol
:D I'm well pleased to see the Eagle coming to Oolite! Another source of ship models might be the old pen-and-paper Traveller RPG. It was one of the inspirations behind the original Elite ... the Suleiman-class Scout, in particular, is very Elite-y (turrets excepted) ... the Beowulf-class trader could be adapted, as well.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Bangbangduck wrote:

The Liberator can be found in Random Hits, although it's not available as a standalone OXP, so far as I'm aware.
It was so outdated that I removed it from the latest RH and replaced with the Imperial Trader by ADCK. Liberator can be found from RH version 1.4.18.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Disembodied wrote:
spud42 wrote:
wow i cant believe nobody even commented on this request.........lets hope someone gives it a go.... lol
:D I'm well pleased to see the Eagle coming to Oolite! Another source of ship models might be the old pen-and-paper Traveller RPG. It was one of the inspirations behind the original Elite ... the Suleiman-class Scout, in particular, is very Elite-y (turrets excepted) ... the Beowulf-class trader could be adapted, as well.
just did a quick google of traveller rpg images and wow... there are a few ships that are very elite'y as you said....... Golden Age Starships book would be good to get... plans of 5 ships i think it said..

first things first long weekend coming for us in Aust so i will try to get in some more work on the transporter.
any ideas on speed turn rates etc? i dont want to make this an uber ship but it aint no sissy either.. lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Disembodied wrote:
spud42 wrote:
Import the classic Python into Blender or Wings and one could easily make it over into the Suleiman-class Scout.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Bangbangduck wrote:

Bangbangduck wrote:
EDIT: Your going to tell me there is a Liberator aren't you....
Your psychic powers are amazing.. :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
They are aren't they. I think it hassomething to do with being married a long time :mrgreen:

BBD

And I have had random hits installed a while. No sign of DSV2 yet though. I'm looking forward to it though......... Now I know :roll:
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Bangbangduck wrote:
I think it has something to do with being married a long time
I'll bet you're good a dodging low-flying vases as well :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Indeed! The force is strong with this one :lol:

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CaptSolo wrote:
Import the classic Python into Blender or Wings and one could easily make it over into the Suleiman-class Scout.
Eh? I though B&B essentially created the Viper by just lopping the turrets off a Suleiman-class Scout?

A Beowulf-class trader would be cool..

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bangbangduck wrote:
And I have had random hits installed a while. No sign of DSV2 yet though. I'm looking forward to it though......... Now I know :roll:
Except that it's not in RH anymore, apparently..
spara wrote:
It was so outdated that I removed it from the latest RH and replaced with the Imperial Trader by ADCK. Liberator can be found from RH version 1.4.18.
It would be nice to have it released as a standalone OXP then..
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spud42 wrote:
first things first long weekend coming for us in Aust so i will try to get in some more work on the transporter.
any ideas on speed turn rates etc? i dont want to make this an uber ship but it aint no sissy either.. lol
Considering the cargo capacity, somewhere around halfway between a Cobra MkIII and a Boa, perhaps?
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Diziet Sma wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Eh? I though B&B essentially created the Viper by just lopping the turrets off a Suleiman-class Scout?

A Beowulf-class trader would be cool..

Indeed, that ship there looks quite like a viper. There are several variations that I've seen.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've been reading around some more on the subject, and apparently it's unclear whether the Viper was inspired by the look of the Scout, or the look of the Scout was inspired by the Viper.. the exact date of the first appearance of artwork of the Scout is not known. However, there's no doubt that there is a connection, and that the Traveller RPG was part of the inspiration for Elite..
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

had a look on the interwebs last night and found a Thunderbird 2 3d model on a site called ShareCG. model is available for download and has " unrestricted use- you may use the work or file for any purpose. You are not required to credit the Author, although doing so would still likely be appreciated."

it was done 5 years ago , but i will try to contact the author to ask permission to use it anyway. it might be too complex ie too many faces. still worth a look...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply