Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Looking ahead

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Looking ahead

Post by Zireael »

Some more requests:
1. Make the collision damage smaller (a Mussurana just ran smack dab into me, result - Press Space)
2. Gamma and/or contrast setting
3. Will flares be possible?

-------------------------------------
BTW I think we ought to make a sticky titled 'Feature requests for Oolite 2' and list them because even I myself am not sure if I haven't already asked for some of the things above...
I could start such a thread in a mo'...
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

3. Solar? Faked compound lens effect? IRCM?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

trousers?
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

'Flares' as in 'stuff that makes your viewscreen go temporarily lighter, i.e. makes things easier to spot'.

And what about making a list of features already requested?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ah. In that case... don't know. I'm not sure Ahruman was considering additional light sources - which is effectively what you're asking for - a flare is effectively an omnidirectional spotlight - and I'm pretty sure that request has already been turned down.

(Perhaps it could be faked? A combination of something like the firework OXP coupled with temporary increasing the ambient light for the system?)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

that request has already been turned down.
Yet another reason for a list of features requested... should I do it?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Ah. In that case... don't know. I'm not sure Ahruman was considering additional light sources - which is effectively what you're asking for - a flare is effectively an omnidirectional spotlight - and I'm pretty sure that request has already been turned down.
An omni light source is quite different from a spotlight, and could probably be integrated quite easily. But are we really taking about a portable light source that illuminates everything within 20 km brighter than the sun does? That seems a bit hard to motivate.

On the other hand, I think the new lighting model will make it somewhat easier to spot other ships automatically… except in interstellar space, since no sun = no bright specular highlights most of the time.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I made a list of features already requested - https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10150. Quite a lot of them...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

About recolouring the ship, it's already possible to do so via javascript! ( setMaterials() & setShaders() ) ... the butterflies from one of Thargoid's oxps used one of these commands to change wings colours on a ship by ship basis...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Kaks wrote:
About recolouring the ship, it's already possible to do so via javascript! ( setMaterials() & setShaders() ) ... the butterflies from one of Thargoid's oxps used one of these commands to change wings colours on a ship by ship basis...
Hmm. it should be possible to do it as an OXP now then, possibly by some sort of mission screen or OXPConfig... Maybe one day I'll sit down and have a look at Thargoids OXP to see how he did it and if it can be done to modify player ships.
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I saw on the list that there would be more types of lasers. Could the twin plasma cannon concept be revisited, maybe? I think they would work well as a dog-fighting weapon, with each projectile having low damage and a high speed with the cannons having a low over-heat rate and high energy drain, sort of like a modern auto-cannon on a fighter jet. I see two uses for this weapon, first, it would provide an alternate weapon to the pulse and beam laser variants, instead of a weapon which hits instantly, the new twin particle cannon would be a weapon which would require the pilot to stay on to and lead on the target, requiring more skill, but allowing the pilot to destroy hostile ships quickly (provided all the shots hit, which is by no means a guarantee) and to fire longer than a beam or military laser. However, it would only have the range of a civilian beam laser, not allowing sniping, and not being instantaneous, any hostiles armed with a laser would be able to strike before the pilot could retaliate. Secondly, it would be useful for a fighter ship which has only one forward laser/other weapon mounting, because it would not have the high over-heat rate that a military or civilian beam laser has, allowing it to fire longer. Of course, this would require a updated of the AIs, so they would fight well using the weapon and not treat it as a laser.

p.s. I realize I might have proposed this before on this topic, but I proposed it on another topic post, so I think that is why it seems I have said this before. Sorry if I already brought this up.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Staer9 wrote:
Zireael wrote:
ADCK wrote:
New suggestion: Respray!

I think the ability to recolour a ship in-game (Eg, being able to choose the colour of a ship when purchasing and perhaps an 'equipment' item that allows you to respray) would be a good idea. (Like the Specular key in materials in plists, but with an in-game colour picker)

Also perhaps the ability to choose alternate textures and/or decals?
Seconded.
Thirded
Actually, I'm not sure I agree with this suggestion. There are already plenty of tools available for customising and importing a ship into Oolite. Is it really fair that we burden the developers with a task that is essentially reinventing the wheel?
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

To some degree we can already do this. It would just depend on the ship design and texture as to how good or bad it may look.

It'd just be a variant on the code I used in the butterflies demo, but applied to the player ship.
Merceray
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Merceray »

Excuse me!
I have a few suggestions about the game:

1. can equipment starts to damage not on the start of damaging energy banks.
in Elite equipment damaged only when the energy was low, I can fight with 3 or 4 small ships without the shields, only on energy banks. but now it's impossible. so I mast buy something like the Imperial Courier to fight with the Thargoids (I like Asp)

2. the seeking and destroying thargoid warships in space (like "pause" + "F" in ZX-Spectrum "Elite"), can it be added to the game?
thargoid wars & thargoid threats - it's lottery, you can find the enemy or not... but in thargoid seeking mode you always can find them.
don't kick me!
I'v learned eanglish just in school!!!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Merceray wrote:
2. the seeking and destroying thargoid warships in space (like "pause" + "F" in ZX-Spectrum "Elite"), can it be added to the game?
thargoid wars & thargoid threats - it's lottery, you can find the enemy or not... but in thargoid seeking mode you always can find them.
If you want to meet Thargoids, try a forced misjump: pitch back all the way just as you jump (just as the countdown reaches 0) and you should find plenty of them. You'll be between star systems, so make sure you have enough fuel to jump on to your destination – it's best if you do this jumping between two systems that are very near to each other.

Some OXPs will add other ships to the mix, too.