Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The wiki-documentation on [url=http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Planetinfo.plist]planetinfo.plist[/url] wrote:
Some options can be applied to the entire universe, such as ambient lighting levels, eg.

<key>universal</key>
<dict>
</dict>

Universal options can be overriden by specifying the same option for a specific system or location in interstellar space. Obviously, not all options make sense to apply to the whole universe.
I would just try whether sky_n_blurs and sky_n_stars can be set here, like ambient_level.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Thanks, I'll check that. Still, I don't think this is exactly what I want. If I set universal values for sky_n_blurs and sky_n_stars, then each and every system will have this exact number of stars and blurs. What I had in mind was more like taking the amount of stars and nebulae that appear normally in a system and multiply them by a constant. This way, systems with low star population will seem somewhat more populated, and systems with many stars will be star-flooded.

Anyway, I will revise the implementation to see if there is an easier or more consistent way of achieving this. No need reinventing the wheel if it's already been done, right?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

another_commander wrote:
Thanks, I'll check that. Still, I don't think this is exactly what I want. If I set universal values for sky_n_blurs and sky_n_stars, then each and every system will have this exact number of stars and blurs. What I had in mind was more like taking the amount of stars and nebulae that appear normally in a system and multiply them by a constant. This way, systems with low star population will seem somewhat more populated, and systems with many stars will be star-flooded.
This seems a reasonable thing to do… for 1.72, not 1.71.2. :-)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Agreed, this is definitely 1.72 stuff.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Sorry to pimp my stuff in a most uncool way, 3 screenshots showing an attack on an already damaged coriolis.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

:shock:
Guh!
Goddammit
<goes to change trousers>

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Looking gorgeous! :shock:

Keep up the good work

L
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Griffs upcoming ICO-station 'vanilla version' in the new Standard stations update. With my 'Parsec Tuning' Cobra MK1 skin
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Wow!

Oolite surely has gone a long way since its inception...

8) 8)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

It would be really useful if the screenshots posted at BerliOS Developer: Screenshots were associated with the related OXP(s) links as well as the Oolite version used.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

The length of the comments accompanying screenshots on Berlios has to be reasonable. This rules out extensive descriptions of what OXPs are used, version numbers etc. Also, the purpose of the screenshots section at Berlios, from my point of view, is to attract the attention of newcomers or people browsing for Elite related games and want to have a quick look at what Oolite is about. This is why impressive screenshots are needed. If anyone wants to get a closer look, they can always come here and learn about OXPs and what's used to take the shots they've seen.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It has to be said - well done to the people involved in the new shader stuff - it's making this game look like a serious commercial venture, but for free!

Elite IV is going to have to be something very special visually to beat Oolite.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

another_commander wrote:
The length of the comments accompanying screenshots on Berlios has to be reasonable. This rules out extensive descriptions of what OXPs are used, version numbers etc.
Simple links to the relevant OXP(s) would suffice, man! If this is not possible, could we add these screenshots to the wiki under the OXP section (pm me on this, plz)? :idea:
another_commander wrote:
If anyone wants to get a closer look, they can always come here and learn about OXPs and what's used to take the shots they've seen.
The majority of gamers are not interested in what's behind the scenes of Oolite, before playing. Furthermore, it's not so easy for newcomers to find their way in forums (I still find it difficult to decypher some of the jargon here, but I am getting to it). Well placed hyperlinks will lead gamers to enjoy the latest Oolite faster (fyi the Ubuntu linux forum users still discuss on v1.65!!! Don't worry, though, I am working on it.:wink:). "RTFM" is a well known expression because nobody does it!

Concluding, it is really admirable what is being performed here. Why not make it easily available to a broader public?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Concluding, it is really admirable what is being performed here. Why not make it easily available to a broader public?
Hear, hear!

I see a hornet`s nest upcoming ... just saying. :?

8)

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Getafix wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree that Oolite and its expansion packs should be as easily available as possible to a broader public. All I am saying is that the Berlios screenshots page is probably not the right place to put links in.

Maybe the best thing would be to update the project home page linked to by Berlios. At least a link to the Oolite wiki should be there. Or, alternatively (and maybe even better), the entire Berlios Oolite homepage could be switched to point to wiki.alioth.net. This should redirect newcomers straight to where the information is.