Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Joystick dead zone

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Ensa
Competent
Competent

Joystick dead zone

Post by Ensa »

Thought I'd post this here as it isn't exactly a new idea.

How about a configurable joystick dead-zone for people with highly sensitive (or just crap) analogue joysticks. They can then set up a percentage of (joystick) axis offset under which no control will be passed on to the ship. (and maybe this could not apply to the thrust axis... ;))
The joystick precision toggle doesn't stop slow drift when ones hand is not on the stick.
Just a thought...

E.

:)
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

I've added it to the feature request stack on the project page on berlios.de.

Is this just the central nullzone, or do you have a problem with 'joystick noise' as well? (I remember older sticks emitting a 'white noise' signal within around 20% of the actual position of the joystick)
Ensa
Competent
Competent

Post by Ensa »

Thanks.
winston wrote:
Is this just the central nullzone, or do you have a problem with 'joystick noise' as well? (I remember older sticks emitting a 'white noise' signal within around 20% of the actual position of the joystick)
For myself, It's just a central nullzone thing. I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo USB stick Which is a great controller and works fine with Oolite (Thanks for the joystick support!) I never thought I would be converted after 20 years of playing elite with the keyboard. But then the baddies fly loads better nowadays...
E.
Xander
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Xander »

I have the same issue with the deadzone, basically it's very difficult to center the joystick (as it always has a verry slight/small drift in one direction or another)

An option to have a deadzone (and possibly a option to set the % of area for dead zone)

as i would set mine 5 - 10% or something like that :)

Btw kudos for including joystick support, much appreciated
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

..and i'd like to see support for thrust control mode "increase/decrease" instead of direct setting by axis value - i happen to get gamepad with sticks cannot be unlocked to avoid returning to the middle position..