Changing Key mapping

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

FacePuncher
Poor
Poor

Changing Key mapping

Post by FacePuncher »

I was trying to change the shoot key to the space bar but when i put space in the "space " section is assigns it to the s key. what is the correct term to use??

Thanks
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Works for me. Can you please be a bit more specific? What version of Oolite are you using? Can you post your keyconfig.plist?
FacePuncher
Poor
Poor

Post by FacePuncher »

I am using the latest test/beta release (i just started playing by the way :) ).

Version 1.72.1

{
key_roll_left = 253; // left arrow
key_roll_right = 252; // right arrow
key_pitch_forward = 255; // up arrow
key_pitch_back = 254; // down arrow
key_yaw_left = ",";
key_yaw_right = ".";

key_increase_speed = "w";
key_decrease_speed = "s";
key_inject_fuel = "i";

key_fire_lasers = "space";
key_launch_missile = "m";
key_next_missile = "y";
key_ecm = "e";

key_target_missile = "t";
key_untarget_missile = "u";
key_ident_system = "r";

key_scanner_zoom = "z";
key_scanner_unzoom = "Z";

key_launch_escapepod = 27; // escape
key_energy_bomb = "\t"; // tab

key_galactic_hyperspace = "g";
key_hyperspace = "h";
key_jumpdrive = "j";

key_dump_cargo = "b";
key_rotate_cargo = "R";

key_autopilot = "c";
key_autopilot_target = "C";
key_autodock = "D";

key_snapshot = "*";
key_docking_music = "s";

key_advanced_nav_array = "^";
key_map_home = 302; // Home
key_map_info = "i";

key_pausebutton = "p";
key_show_fps = "F";
key_mouse_control = "M";

key_comms_log = "`";
key_next_compass_mode = "\\";

key_cloaking_device = "0";

key_contract_info = "?";

key_next_target = "+";
key_previous_target = "-";

key_custom_view = "v";

key_dump_target_state = "H";
}

Hope that helps...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

It certainly does. You must not type the word "space", you just need to type a whitespace in the quotes, like this:

Code: Select all

key_fire_lasers = " "; 
And that should do it.
FacePuncher
Poor
Poor

Post by FacePuncher »

Ha hahahahaha ha ha haaa haha

Thats hilarious - i'm such a doofus :D

Thanks mate i'll fix that up now
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

how do I assign keys to the numpad? I want the roll to be 7 (home) and 9 (page up)
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Well, I've been looking to redefine the keys back to their proper places (BBC Elite player here) and my key config file looks more like this:
<dict>
<key>key_roll_left</key>
<integer>253</integer>
<key>key_roll_right</key>
<integer>252</integer>
<key>key_pitch_forward</key>
<integer>255</integer>
<key>key_pitch_back</key>
<integer>254</integer>
<key>key_increase_speed</key>
<integer>119</integer>
<key>key_inject_fuel</key>
<integer>105</integer>
<key>key_decrease_speed</key>
<integer>115</integer>
<key>key_fire_lasers</key>
<integer>97</integer>
<key>key_target_missile</key>
<integer>116</integer>
<key>key_untarget_missile</key>
<integer>117</integer>
<key>key_launch_missile</key>
<integer>109</integer>
<key>key_next_missile</key>
<integer>121</integer>
<key>key_ident_system</key>
<integer>114</integer>
<key>key_ecm</key>
<integer>101</integer>
<key>key_launch_escapepod</key>
<integer>27</integer>
<key>key_energy_bomb</key>
<integer>9</integer>
<key>key_galactic_hyperspace</key>
<integer>103</integer>
<key>key_emergency_hyperdrive</key>
<integer>72</integer>
<key>key_hyperspace</key>
<integer>104</integer>
<key>key_jumpdrive</key>
<integer>106</integer>
<key>key_dump_cargo</key>
<integer>100</integer>
<key>key_rotate_cargo</key>
<integer>82</integer>
<key>key_autopilot</key>
<integer>99</integer>
<key>key_autodock</key>
<integer>68</integer>
<key>key_snapshot</key>
<integer>42</integer>
<key>key_docking_music</key>
<integer>115</integer>
<key>key_scanner_zoom</key>
<integer>122</integer>
<key>key_scanner_unzoom</key>
<integer>90</integer>
<key>key_map_dump</key>
<integer>33</integer>
<key>key_map_home</key>
<integer>302</integer>
<key>key_comms_log</key>
<integer>96</integer>
<key>key_next_compass_mode</key>
<integer>92</integer>
<key>key_next_target</key>
<integer>45</integer>
<key>key_previous_target</key>
<integer>43</integer>
<key>key_custom_view</key>
<string>v</string>
</dict>
</plist>
which is rather different to what Facepuncher posted. I first tried Oolite a couple of years ago and decided to leave it until the key bindings could be redefined in-game and I've recently managed to a: get a nice gaming rig and b: admit bindings will probably forever be consigned to editing a text file. So, questions are:

1: Can replacing the text in my file with that of Facepuncher's and then modifying the key listed as I wish get me the key bindings I want, or must I learn about integers and what value is what and so on?

2: I'm 'rocking' a quad core vista beast on my desktop for oolite but on night shifts I'm on an Eee901 with Ubuntu - can I copy my config to the little netbook and just crack on? Also, will the same work for my saves, regardless of what add-ons I've got? I'm assuming they are some kind of monkey-patch and will make no difference?

3: How do I get rid of Star Wars vehicles? They're preventing me from becoming immersed!

Also, hello, I'm Governmentyard! You look nice...p
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

1. Well, I'm not VERY experienced (yet ;-) ) but you should be fine with both file types, though I think FacePuncher's one will be easier for you to handle. So you don't have to learn anything, maybe only if for personal interest :-)

2. This should not pose any difference, because AFAIK Oolite is designed in the way that you don't have to worry about machine or OS when it comes down to game settings (though I saw some OXPs having different folders for MAC and other machines).

3. Simply delete corresponding OXP(s).

And hello to you too ;-)

EDIT:
mis-spelled FacePuncher's name :roll: and AND :D
Last edited by radcapricorn on Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Alien greetings :twisted:

To make some attempts to answer some of the questions:

1) Which version of Oolite are you running? Your file looks like an earlier version (1.65 if I guess) as it's in XML rather than openstep (The earlier quoted one from v1.72.1). You're probably best using the latest test version (v1.72.2 at the moment, with v1.73 due sometime soon) as you'll get a lot more OXPs, a much more stable (and better) game and access to all the OXPs. If you're using that then yes, you can use Facepuncher's file (or something similar) and remap the keys to your hearts content.

2) Yes, presuming you're running the same version and you're not using keys on one keyboard that doesn't exist on the other or anything daft like that.

3) They come from OXPs. I'm guessing you've got Realistic Shipyards installed (or else you've added an OXP for the Star Wars ships!) and they're one of the ship types in there. To get rid of them you need to make some changes within the OXP itself, specifically the shipdata.plist file in its config folder. It's just a text file, with one directory of keys per ship (look in it and you'll see what I mean).

But if you can confirm you're running RS and what ships you want to remove, then I'm sure Lestradae will offer you some guidance as to which entries you need to change/remove. Or else one of us could advise in detail.
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Hi, thankyou both, woo, etc.

1: 1.72.2 though I might have some shite left over from 1.65. So, yay :)

2: Woo yay the second!

3: Yup, got realistic shipyards - I must confess to grabbing about ten that looked interesting, as opposed to researching each one exhaustively. I'm more than happy to dig about in a file and prune the millenium falcon, etc. Guess I'm a victim of my own impatience!

Righto then, now apparently these big squares I keep seeing aren't supposed to be that, they are nebulae - off to poke aboput the other threads and my ATI control panel for testings...
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

ATI :-)
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Aye, ATI. For some reason my catalyst control centre simply will not open now. More prodding required...
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

By just spelling 'ATI' I meant it's 'pronounced'. I mean, its' OpenGL support, its' Linux drivers (not to mention its' FreeBSD drivers) and so on...

I must say that until recently I had an AMD Duron 750MHz + Radeon 9250 (yes, it almost beats DaddyHoggy's Win98 laptop) that used to run Oolite pretty good (not to mention lags with too many installed OXPs, but those are predictable). But even then, examining OpenGL capabilities lead me to shock (vertex programs + texture combiners support, but no fragment shaders and so on, strange glitches in OpenGL apps...). And even today, ATI's drivers and support are rather strange...

Well, I went pretty much off-topic already to deserve severe punishment (to moderators: no Trumble-feeding, PLEASE!), so I'm silencing now :-)
Governmentyard
Competent
Competent

Post by Governmentyard »

Sounds about right. Giles at Llamasoft has similarly incredulous moments when porting their titles from 360 to PC.

/edit righto then, I'm off to bed in a mo, my to do list is huge:

1: Resolve big purple and green squares issue, possibly by waiting until the next version of Oolite.

2: Research the OXPs and figure out my best, most stable and immersive Ooniverse

3: Get keys sorted

4: See if I can't get all my joystick buttons doing something. I fancy changing views using my hat switch.

5: See if I can't contribute somehow.

6: Imbibe something relaxing and take a weekend out to pwn the Ooniverse.

7: Go for a nice walk.

I'll deal with each issue in the appropriate or a new thread. Thanks for all the help and the warm welcome...
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

HELP!!

Post by JazHaz »

Hi all,

Yet another original BBC Elite player here (also on Spectrum, ST) and FE2 on ST. Only today have I downloaded Oolite, previously have been playing Chris Pinder's E:TNK on my Vista laptop.

Having trouble changing the key assignments. I would like to change the main controls for flying the ship to the classic S, X, <, and > keys. At the moment the game is defaulting to the arrow keys which is a complete pain in the bottom LOL.

Have tried editting the keyconfig.plist file (and saving it in ../Addons/Config/) but every time I run the game it defaults back to the arrow keys.

Whilst I am here, can I also ask how do I find out what version I am running (I think I have v1.65 but not sure lol).

Cheers,

James
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!