shields booster and extra energy unit? military lasers? pah

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

nemesis
Average
Average

shields booster and extra energy unit? military lasers? pah

Post by nemesis »

ok so I have a military laser up front, overheats the second you breathe on the trigger and has the killing power of a ping pong ball.

The extra energy unit does recharge faster for sure no arguement there

The Shield Boosters? Dont work too well at all. 4 ships charging towards me lost cargo and equipment is the result. The mil laser overheats and can't kill them fast enough even though I am actually hitting the blighters.

I'm on my 4th docking computer as I keep getting the shields downed and losing cargo / equipment. Help! any tweaks I can make to improve the power of the mil laser? (i can hit the targets, doen't seem to make much difference though :cry: )
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Military lasers heat up very quickly, but if you get all your shots on target they should pack a big enough punch to bring down most ships before overheating. If you fire blindly you'll overheat your lasers and get fragged. Mount a second one on the rear, then when your front one gets too hot, flip your ship 180 degreess and keep shooting.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Laser_tactics
nemesis
Average
Average

Post by nemesis »

lol, in all previous version on like acorn, c64 atari etc the laser temp applied to all lasers, overheat the front and the others were as well :lol: Didn't think to try this version for that little bug :roll:

I know in other versions I was able to 'hack' the power of the laser in the save file thus giving a greater punch. Is this possible on this port? I tried the save file but ended up having no laser at all. Doh :cry:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

No. But when you could get your hands on a Naval Energy Unit, Cloaking Device and Naval Shields, you'll find that your ships can take a lot more punishment. Fuel injectors are also handy. Oolite is more difficult than classic Elite. Somtimes the only thing to do is run away - terriblely fast.

You could also use a Beam Laser. The Military Laser is a good weapon, but you have to be very accurate. A beam does less damage, but is much more forgiving whilst you a getting you eye in!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
nemesis
Average
Average

Post by nemesis »

LittleBear wrote:
No. But when you could get your hands on a Naval Energy Unit, Cloaking Device and Naval Shields, you'll find that your ships can take a lot more punishment. Fuel injectors are also handy. Oolite is more difficult than classic Elite. Somtimes the only thing to do is run away - terriblely fast.

You could also use a Beam Laser. The Military Laser is a good weapon, but you have to be very accurate. A beam does less damage, but is much more forgiving whilst you a getting you eye in!
beam laser less power but dont heat up as quickly?? Mm I'll try that next methinks. The money will go towards repairing the shield boosters (again)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

LittleBear wrote:
No. But when you could get your hands on a Naval Energy Unit, Cloaking Device and Naval Shields,
Naval shields!!!!...........how does one acquire these little babies?
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

To get Naval Shields you need to be good buddies with the Navy. Don't call them, they'll call you.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

I personally prefer Beam lasers over Military anyday. Problem I get with Military lasers - lots of small ships buzzing around you and the Mil laser can only get a couple before you are a sitting duck.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I meant the Military Shield Enchanment!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
nemesis
Average
Average

Post by nemesis »

yeah I quickly changed back to military lasers cause beam lasers just aint got the punch. I'll keep playing cause its such a great game :D
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Military lasers my not be as effective when you have small ships buzzing around you, though if you get your shots on target then you can stop most of them getting close enough to be a problem.

Keep 'em at 20 km and pick 'em off with the rear laser as they try to chase you, then move in for the kill once you've taken out the Sidewinders. Asps usually flee before you can finish them off, but they don't carry cargo anyway.
nemesis
Average
Average

Post by nemesis »

i do need new tactics as i keep loosing equipment and cargo with the number of hits I take. 4 ships incoming and the front shield is gone before I can get close enough to hit them. Since the laser overheats that quick taking long range shots doesn't help since they are that small in the site.

I usually just do a head on pass and try to split them, then take them on one by one. Running away doesn't help. they can still hit me at longer ranges
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

I very rarely use equipment or cargo, so it sounds like your tactics need revising. Here are some tips of mine: From a distance, take single shots until you hear one hit its mark, then blast away and stop firing as soon as your lasers stop connecting. Attack the lighter ships first - you can take them out more quickly and have one or two fewer ships firing at you. Use your witch fuel injectors to get a few clicks away if they get to buzz around you. Leave the Python till last - even with a cold laser you'll overheat before you bring it down, which is the last thing you want with four ships on your tail.
nemesis
Average
Average

Post by nemesis »

um I just bought the target enhancer and I'm engaging targets at 300 metres! Whoops need to keep me distance I think.

I try taking out the bigger ships first cause their laser do the most damage but yeah overheat city.

I always have some music on so I didn't realise you get a sound of the lasers hitting! :roll: :oops: Time to turn the music off and concentrate. I usually charge right at them so they don't blast me from a distance but now I'll try hanging back and hitting them from afar.

As littlebear has said this version is really tough and keeps you honest and interested so time to change the tactics of old.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Military lasers heat up fast, but they have an incredible long range. Use the range to your advantage and snipe heavies (Thargoid assault cruisers, pirate Pythons, ect) from a safe distance. If neccessary, finish 'em with a missile. Don't bother with trying to snipe small fighters from long range, they're just too evasive.

In a close dogfight with fast fighters, stay on their tail, fire the laser in quick, short bursts, and try to make your shots count.

When charged by a pack of pirates, use the injectors to run past them, then hard turn and lock onto the nearest. This can break up their formation, and lessen their ability to concentrate their fire.

Some pirates ignite injectors when shot at. Let 'em run. Usually they'll eventually come back with their fuel exausted, and will be easier to kill.

I've seen pirate squadrons with two or more heavies, supported by close to a dozen fighters. In those cases, an e-bomb is your friend. Burn into the middle of the pack, and hit the bomb. Then finish off any survivors.

Hardened missiles are fortunately slower than standard missiles. Use the injectors to keep them at a distance. Eventually they'll run out of propellant and self destruct. And hope that Faulcon DeLacy markets chaff sometime soon.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor