plist Editor Pro for Windows

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

plist Editor Pro for Windows

Post by Diziet Sma »

Having seen numerous references here over the years by various Mac users, to plist Editor and plist Editor Pro, I decided to go looking for equivalent programs on Windows and Linux.

I'm not having a great deal of luck with Linux so far, but did find a couple of versions for Windows, so here they are.

Plist Editor Pro for Windows (free trial available) and the free plist Editor Lite are available at: http://www.icopybot.com/plist-editor.htm

The freeware plist Editor for Windows is available from: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programmin ... dows.shtml
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average

plist Editor Pro for Linux

Post by psuamier »

Hi,

It's a bit difficult to search for, but so far I found two Editors:

1) https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/propertylisteditor - Me doesn't like it, but it works somewhat
2) gnustep development environment

Regards
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: plist Editor Pro for Windows

Post by JazHaz »

Is it worth downloading any of these? Do they have syntax checking? Or should I just continue to use Notepad++?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: plist Editor Pro for Linux

Post by Diziet Sma »

psuamier wrote:
1) https://bitbucket.org/ivucica/propertylisteditor - Me doesn't like it, but it works somewhat
Yeah.. I'd be more inclined to go with jedit and some XML plugins.
psuamier wrote:
2) gnustep development environment
Hmm.. hadn't considered that. I've just installed it to take a look-see. Kind of overkill, just to get an editor, though.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Who let the penguins loose in here?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Is it worth downloading any of these? Do they have syntax checking? Or should I just continue to use Notepad++?
plist Editor Pro has syntax checking.. the website is less clear about the Lite version.

plist Editor for Windows checks syntax before saving.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I'm actually surprised that Notepad++ doesn't yet have a plist plugin. There are over 100 plugins for it now.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

El Viejo wrote:
Who let the penguins loose in here?
Feel free to split those two posts off into a new thread in the relevant area.. :lol:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Plist Editor Pro for Windows (free trial available) and the free plist Editor Lite are available at: http://www.icopybot.com/plist-editor.htm

The freeware plist Editor for Windows is available from: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programmin ... dows.shtml
Having done some more checking, it turns out the softpedia freeware plist Editor is, in fact, the same plist Editor Lite that's available at icopybot.

The other news, the lite version runs fine on Linux under WINE. Sadly, it can only open one file at a time.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Last time I searched for and tested alternatives for a Windows plist editor, including some of those mentioned above, they would only handle XML plist files. Since the preferred format for Oolite is GNU-Step or Open-step (not actually sure what it's called) they were not very useful. Has that changed?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I was looking for an OpenStep file to test them with but hadn't found one. I've now tried a couple of examples, and the answer is.. no.

The editors can open them fine, but it displays them as XML or in Apple's List format, (depending on which tab you use in the Pro version) but it can't save them properly. (running under WINE, at least, it only creates an empty file)

Agreed. Not very useful at all.
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

I use the free JavaScript Editor. Does everything, as far as I can tell, I only used it for .plists and .js. EDIT: for Windows 7. EDIT2: OK, should have read the firat post. It opens plists, but not in XML. :oops:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
plist Editor Pro has syntax checking.. .
I don't know why it is called pro. On the mac there is no syntax checking for the plist editors as you can only enter valid structures by the setup :)

You never see the "<xx> </xx>" tags themselves. For a windows pro version I would expect something similar. :?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
You never see the "<xx> </xx>" tags themselves. For a windows pro version I would expect something similar. :?
Yes, I would expect the same, but I doubt that it works this way .-)

Personally I don't see a need for a plist editor at all. [wiki]Oolite_Converters[/wiki] has a nice Python script to convert XML plists to NextStep. I'm converting all XML plists in all used OXPs this way.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
plist Editor Pro has syntax checking.. .
I don't know why it is called pro. On the mac there is no syntax checking for the plist editors as you can only enter valid structures by the setup :)

The latter is not entirely true. For me the beauty of PlistEdit Pro is that it shows both. In the top half of its window you get it in the never-changing plist syntax, and the bottom half shows the same thing as a plain text file, which I find very convenient for copying and pasting code to and from the boards, for instance. For me that's where the "Pro" part lies.