where's the federation & Empire from E2 Frontier?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

sonicresolution
Above Average
Above Average

Post by sonicresolution »

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: where's the federation & Empire from E2 Frontier?

Post by Selezen »

Quick answer: the Federation is about 60 light years north east of the Galaxy 1 systems. The Empire is located in the upper right quadrant of galaxy 1: Achenar is somewhere near Enonla in G1.

Of course, Elite was a completely separate game to Frontier, so the true answer is that the Federation and Empire don't physically exist in Elite. Only in the "expanded universe" do they co-exist.

Long answer: http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/unlocking_the_frontier.asp

;-)
sonicresolution
Above Average
Above Average

Yes thanks, I was aware of this point re: Elite v Frontier, but am curious to know if there might be an OXP that provides Federation and Imperial sectors for the ooniverse? Maybe under development perhaps, as I can't see anything in the OXP list, although some of the ships refer to an imperial/federation expansion!

Anyone got any ideas?

Now I must continue my track across G1 and deliver my passengers en route to G2...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It's not really doable via OXP, because you cannot add more systems to a galaxy.

Of course you could rename some of the existing systems to "Earth" and "Aronar", but then you would lose those systems from your GalCop map.

Also, by definition all systems belong to GalCop. Therefore there is not much room to introduce federal or imperial space.

In short, I can't imagine a satisfying way to introduce the two non-Elite factions to Oolite. Whatever you would do, it would look horribly patched-up.
sonicresolution
Above Average
Above Average

I take your point, but it could be interesting to see a sector or two break off and evolve into powerful communities to challenge the status quo, this is after all one of the key differences, as far as I see it, between oOlite & Elite mk 1 - the ability to adapt and expand!

Be interesting to see what others think, but perhaps it's just not appropriate to the appeal of the game.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

The same old statement applies here, I suppose...

Oolite is a recreation of Elite, not Frontier.

Frontier remakes have their own communities, especially the awesome GLFrontier.

If you want Frontier, then they're your people. :-)

The only thing that has happened regarding Frontier and Elite crossovers is that there are some OXPs that add Frontier style ships to Oolite. There are Imperial Couriers, Imperial Traders and Eagles and I think there's a Panther and a Long Range Cruiser out there. Check out the Wiki for those babies.
sonicresolution
Above Average
Above Average

yes I do see your point, but i'm certainly more of an Elite kinda guy! Frontier was always just too clunky for me, but I did like the presence of an Empire & Federation.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well, rest assured that they're there - somewhere...

Install my Courier and Eagle OXPs (or the other REALLY GOOD Eagle OXP) and let your imagination do the rest...

;-)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

What happened to the Cylon kitty?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

shouldn't that be "threat level"? :-/

i like your icon too - Dr Evil's new weapon : birds w/ fricking katanas!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

sonicresolution wrote:
I take your point, but it could be interesting to see a sector or two break off and evolve into powerful communities to challenge the status quo, this is after all one of the key differences, as far as I see it, between oOlite & Elite mk 1 - the ability to adapt and expand!

Be interesting to see what others think, but perhaps it's just not appropriate to the appeal of the game.
If anything is challenging the status quo around here I want it caught and shot now... :lol:

My view (shared by Selezen I believe) is that Oolite is a 'few years on' from Elite, but 'before' Frontier and FFE. Thus the federation and empire do exist but Galcop flight computers 'hide' those systems from Elite/Oolite pilots due to the politics.

The 'frontier and 'ffe' ships that appear in Oolite due to the magic of OXPs are the prototypes and early design versions that form the mainstay of the later games.

Galcop falls apart post-Oolite and pre-Frontier.

Would be fun to see additional planets on the chart via OXP, but sadly not possible at this stage.

Random rationalisation complete, returning you to normal service...

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

IMHO the timelines of ELITE - Oolite and Frontier - FFE are completely separate entities, one might call them parallel universes.
The occasional similarities in system names, ship designs etc. are just astounding coincidences (= game design).

So, ELITE can well start 3205 AD and Oolite some 30-50 years later in the same timeline. Just as Frontier starts 3200 AD and FFE starts 3250 AD in their timeline.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That’s how I see it… there’s no relation between Elite/Oolite and FE2/FFE, and I wouldn’t want to see either federation or empire in Oolite… but ‘vive la différence’!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

There is one aspect of the combined timeline which fascinates me, and which is the main reason why I am cool with assuming that Oolite takes place between Elite and Frontier. This aspect is the knowledge that in the not-too-far future GalCop is doomed. Of course, in-game nobody has that knowledge, including my own character. But it gives me a certain thrill to know somewhere in the back of my head that the seemingly well-working Ooniverse isn't going to last.

And of course I feel immensely challenged as a scripter to make something of this part of the backstory. The main problem with that is that a player first has to bring eight game years behind himself to witness the story unfolding, and it takes another 25 years to come to an end. Even my own veteran commander is still a long way from that eight-year-mark, not even to think about something that spans 25 years after that mark.

But still, I find the perspective extremely fascinating.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

And I find the idea of GalCop being doomed in such a short time span immensely depressing :) . So I'd rather keep things simple, the timelines separated and the (more or less inevitable) fall of GalCop in distant future.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM