We are losing our collective memory

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

We are losing our collective memory

Post by Commander McLane »

I just noticed that - at least in some forums - old threads are getting deleted. I noticed when I was searching in the Expansion Pack-forum for Arexack_Heretic's original thread about Cargo_wrecks_teaser. It's no longer there, along with everything that has had its last post before Jan 17, 2006. In total there are only nine pages of threads. For comparison: the Discussion-forum has a total of 23 pages of threads, the oldest dating back to June 28, 2004.

So it seems in the Expansion Pack-forum there is a setting activated which automatically deletes older threads, whereas this setting in the Discussion-forum seems to be deactivated.

I don't know how richly we are blessed with webspace for these forums, but I would vote for as little automatic deletion as possible, because we are going to lose our collective memories here on the board, together with the old posts and threads.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:shock:

I guess the great Ahruman may need to answer that one... (I hope that they're tucked away somewhere safe...)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The Expansion pack forum was set to delete threads after 180 days of inactivity. Now it isn’t.

The Outworld forum is still set to delete threads after 720 days.

My understanding is that the only problem with the forum is bandwidth; if space is an issue, I guess Giles will have to turn pruning back on.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thanks!