Elite - The New Kind

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Elite - The New Kind

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Downloaded it last night and played for the first time.

Six hours later, I've Iron Assed my Cobra MK. III, acquired Cr12K, died eight times and having just nailed the Constrictor, am now Dangerous.

Is it just me, or is Oolite harder than this?
I mean, I've rammed (and been rammed by) ships upto and including Pythons and have suffered no worse than losing my forward shields, and maybe one Energy bank. With Military Lasers Fore and Aft, I can turn most ships into a cloud of pixels with 2-3 bursts, not even taking the laser temperature above a quarter. I have a full rack of missiles, which I rarely use. I was able to kill Thargoid Warships with a single salvo of a Beam Laser. And I can dock at full speed without rolling.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Sounds pretty much like the original version to me, of which TNK was an accurate recreation (although I thought Thargoids were a little tougher than that).
Captain Hesperus

Helvellyn wrote:
Sounds pretty much like the original version to me, of which TNK was an accurate recreation (although I thought Thargoids were a little tougher than that).
I first played Elite on the Apple ][c and I had always found docking a hit or miss procedure, to the point that my first ship upgrade was the (then) oh-so-important Docking Computer. In E-TNK, I saved Cr1.5K by not actually having bought one.

And I've re-tested the Thargoid/beam laser thing with a new commander and a mis-jump. I can confirm that a salvo from a Beam Laser will do the job just before overheating.

Another thing I've found (dunno if it's just my relic of a 'puter), contacts on my scanner 'vanish' then reappear like blind spots in the scanner. And also, I got jumped by a pair of Vipers even though I was clean and had not been in combat.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

TNK gameplay is based on the original elite, and is very similar. Oolite on the other hand thjough is harder, there is obviously a lot more going on around you as well. One major difference is that you can uber your ship a lot more with hard hats and Qmines etc, but some of your opponents are a lot tougher too, so it balances out.

Don't know why you were jumped by vipers, TNK is basically very solid with no real bugs.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
...I got jumped by a pair of Vipers even though I was clean and had not been in combat.
Maybe they were just being efficient... perhaps your reputation precedes you! :D
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

after all, it's only common sense to stem an infestation of trumbles... at it's source. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Captain Hesperus

nijineko wrote:
after all, it's only common sense to stem an infestation of trumbles... at it's source. ^^
I've got my eye Multi-Targeting System on you, chum. :D

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

feel free to talk to my lawyers, if it bothers you....

*pats a four-pack of well-used military lasers, with the name "lawyer" stenciled on each.*

:D

(by the way, how does one tell how much hull damage one has? as in ship hit-points or integrity points or whatever is used in oolite. i have a feeling that i'm going to need to know. and pretty soon at that. ^^)
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

nijineko wrote:
(by the way, how does one tell how much hull damage one has? as in ship hit-points or integrity points or whatever is used in oolite. i have a feeling that i'm going to need to know. and pretty soon at that. ^^)
That's quite good point actually, in Oolite you don't know, In Xelite's targeting identification system, once you locked on to your target, it's speed, distance, and shield strength (as a percentage) were showed in the bottom LH corner of the view screen. This meant that you could see how much life was left in your victim, and how much damage you were inflicting.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

You don't get a read out, but when quite low on energy the engine flames flicker, lower still and globes of plasma start to spill out and near dead a lot of plasma starts venting. Many ships also start to plead at this point! :twisted:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The question was on the damage oneself has, if I understand right. And there is no way of knowing that except the drainage of your energy bars. If no energy is left, you're dead. :twisted:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

speaking of ship damage, i dunno if this should be in the suggestion box, but should damage to a ship be more realistically punishing to the craft? what i mean is, i've been in combat and had ships w/ flickering engines etc and they're still combatting and WFI-ing as normal. to me, if you're that damaged then i think your engines should be glitching, the damage to your hull should perhaps greatly decrease your manoueverability etc. had this in Hardwar and it made it a bit more fun, you'd get the crap shot outta you in battle and limp back to your hangar w/ your dashboard all SNAFu, and you'd be slow and sluggish due to the damage, added a bit tension as you'd be crawling back desperately hoping another hostile wouldn't appear on your scanner.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Usually NPCs with low energy (flickering engines) will flee. That's what I experience pretty much all the time, with very few exceptions. Sometimes it's even annoying: I've almost nailed the first of a group of attackers, and he runs away, depriving me of my kill, as I can't go after him while the others still are going after me. When I'm done with them, he's gone too far away, I don't find him anymore. :evil:

But to the idea of damage being more punishing to the player: I definitely like the idea of engines going only with a fraction of their max speed when damaged (like 25 or 30%), so you literally have to crawl to the next dock after a demanding fight. :twisted:

(And this is definitely something for the suggestions-forum.)
Captain Hesperus

Killer Wolf wrote:
had this in Hardwar and it made it a bit more fun, you'd get the crap shot outta you in battle and limp back to your hangar w/ your dashboard all SNAFu, and you'd be slow and sluggish due to the damage, added a bit tension as you'd be crawling back desperately hoping another hostile wouldn't appear on your scanner.
I think you mean FUBAR, not SNAFU.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

They'd both be appropriate :lol: