Fun star map

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Fun star map

Post by ffutures »

A fun star map generator which uses the data on stars in the near vicinity of our solar system to generate maps in various formats. One of which is "showing routes between systems of a maximum jump length" as in Traveller and Elite / Oolite etc. 7LY works quite well, though a few stars can't be reached, anything much less leaves a LOT of disconnected systems. There are several options including 3D (two images), centering the map on another solar system, etc. It's a little primitive in some ways, e.g. you have to generate a new map if you want to change anything, but works well.

http://hygmap.space/index.php
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Fun star map

Post by Cholmondely »

ffutures wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:16 pm
A fun star map generator which uses the data on stars in the near vicinity of our solar system to generate maps in various formats. One of which is "showing routes between systems of a maximum jump length" as in Traveller and Elite / Oolite etc. 7LY works quite well, though a few stars can't be reached, anything much less leaves a LOT of disconnected systems. There are several options including 3D (two images), centering the map on another solar system, etc. It's a little primitive in some ways, e.g. you have to generate a new map if you want to change anything, but works well.

http://hygmap.space/index.php
I wonder if this would be transmogrifiable in some way for Oolite? Cim managed to provide new maps for his SOTL. Is it very difficult to change the game maps? Then we really could explore for real!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:27 am
Is it very difficult to change the game maps? Then we really could explore for real!
Not difficult technically - you can change system coordinates, names, descriptions etc in planetinfo.plist. Just laborious. IMHO the most challenging part of work is to redefine system populator, AIs, ships, equipment etc to new lore.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

stranger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 am
Is it very difficult to change the game maps? Then we really could explore for real!
Not difficult technically - you can change system coordinates, names, descriptions etc in planetinfo.plist. Just laborious.
Oh my giddy Aunt...

I can do this strategically to exaggerate or minimise quirks of the procedural generation.

Beginners 'Paddling Pool' (© Disembodied)
  • Move Riedquat et al. just a little further away to reduce their influence on the Leesti-Diso route (or for thar matter, tweak their government types)
Hell holes
  • Keep some dangerous areas largely free of high tech level to limit repairs and availability of the most useful equipment
More bottlenecks
  • Shift that democracy just a tad to the left and... deathtrap
Artistic license
  • Areas of similarity e.g. inhabitant type tendencies ('sacrifice' a few colonials)
  • Areas of compatibility e.g. lobster worlds have smaller land fraction
  • Rare inhabitant types e.g. fully mechanised resource worlds
  • Edit descriptons accordingly, all the while providing material for condition script dependant oxps
  • etc.
Potentially lots of work or potentially very little, depending upon the scope of one's ambition. Can also be done one world at a time if so desired.

To the batcave!... but slowly, I've got lots to work on.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 pm
stranger wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 am
Not difficult technically - you can change system coordinates, names, descriptions etc in planetinfo.plist. Just laborious.
Oh my giddy Aunt...

I can do this strategically to exaggerate or minimise quirks of the procedural generation.

Beginners 'Paddling Pool' (© Disembodied)
  • Move Riedquat et al. just a little further away to reduce their influence on the Leesti-Diso route (or for that matter, tweak their government types)
Hell holes
  • Keep some dangerous areas largely free of high tech level to limit repairs and availability of the most useful equipment
More bottlenecks
  • Shift that democracy just a tad to the left and... deathtrap
Artistic license
  • Areas of similarity e.g. inhabitant type tendencies ('sacrifice' a few colonials)
  • Areas of compatibility e.g. lobster worlds have smaller land fraction
  • Rare inhabitant types e.g. fully mechanised resource worlds
  • Edit descriptions accordingly, all the while providing material for condition script dependent oxps
  • etc.
Potentially lots of work or potentially very little, depending upon the scope of one's ambition. Can also be done one world at a time if so desired.

If I understand your post you are talking of tweaking the existing map in order to sort out some issues with the current game.

But I'm wondering if
(i) maps could be generated randomly to encourage discovery (and then .oxp's could be generated to enhance this)
(ii) one could transpose FFutures' map above into Oolite - and then - for example - play in CJCherryh's Universe
etc.

Not being a programming type, I'm a tad befuddled as regards the relationship between a procedurally generated and a randomly generated Ooniverse.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Redspear wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 pm
DISCLAIMER

Acute affection to changing Oolite reality can harm your social life in real reality! :D
Sadly, life is too brief to realize all you dreams :(
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Is it very difficult to change the game maps?
You can see how the octants would look with different galaxy seeds in the Oolite Interactive Map (hit the Galaxy Seed button and select).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:49 pm
But I'm wondering if
(i) maps could be generated randomly to encourage discovery (and then .oxp's could be generated to enhance this)
Right. You can generate procedural maps and some of these maps will have interesting topology. Imagine three separated domains, connected with only narrow star bridges with bottlenecks. Ideal setting for exploration saga! You have vast regions of unknown space - with unknown dangers maybe.
Again, you need readjust vanilla populator, AIs and other settings to exploit these new scenario.
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:49 pm
(ii) one could transpose FFutures' map above into Oolite - and then - for example - play in CJCherryh's Universe
etc.
Technically speaking - yes. AFAIK we are still limited to default size of map (approx 100x50 LY) and exact 256 system in total, so you need to readjust original maps to match this criteria.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

stranger wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:52 pm
DISCLAIMER

Acute affection to changing Oolite reality can harm your social life in real reality! :D
Social life? What's that? :P

Oh I know. that's why I 'work' in short burst with Oolite: on what amuses me, when it's amusing me.
I typically feel little obligation to get stuff finished on any self-imagined schedule (as some here may have noticed :oops: - I'll get back to each project when the mood takes me).

stranger wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:52 pm
Sadly, life is too brief to realize all you dreams :(
But on the plus side, maybe that's not such a bad thing.
It makes them all the more special when you do :D