Red dwarfs and Earth-like planets

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Red dwarfs and Earth-like planets

Post by Cody »

Interesting article - there are oodles of red dwarfs (shouldn't that be dwarves?).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Red dwarfs and Earth-like planets

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

"Dwarfs" is the 'proper' plural (or dwerrow, even)... Tolkien popularized the word "Dwarves". http://grammarist.com/usage/dwarfs-dwarves/
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hmm... dwarfs does seem to be current for stellar objects. But I reckon it should be dwarves in normal usage.
Wasn't Tolkien a high-brow professor of English language, and something of an expert in the translation of Germanic words?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Perhaps Tolkien preferred dwarves since it follows the f => v pattern for plurals ending with f.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Arrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

You just reminded me of a time when I lost many moons to the research of singular to plural and back again. I don't ever want to see this page on Wikipedia again: [Wikipedia] Plural form of words ending in -us

:evil:
The plural of Elvis is Elvii
:wink:
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Tricky wrote:
... I lost many moons to the research ...
From testing a Death Star OXP? :lol: :twisted:
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
Arrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

You just reminded me of a time when I lost many moons to the research of singular to plural and back again. I don't ever want to see this page on Wikipedia again: [Wikipedia] Plural form of words ending in -us

:evil:
The plural of Elvis is Elvii
:wink:
:lol: the old -us ending :D.

We don't have cactuses here in the S.W., but we do have cacti :).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Red Dwarfs are extremely common in the universe. Whether they have habitable planets remains quite the debate.

Personally I'm hoping they will have, I've got a couple of books that depend upon that possibility. :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

drew wrote:
Red Dwarfs are extremely common in the universe. Whether they have habitable planets remains quite the debate.
If they do exist they will have to be close to the star to be warm enough and therefore likely to be tidally locked with one face constantly facing the sun. (like the Moon is to the Earth.) This then means there would be a twilight strip around the planet that is habital between the extreme heat of the Sun facing side and the deep freeze of the far side.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

PhantorGorth wrote:
If they do exist they will have to be close to the star to be warm enough and therefore likely to be tidally locked with one face constantly facing the sun. (like the Moon is to the Earth.) This then means there would be a twilight strip around the planet that is habital between the extreme heat of the Sun facing side and the deep freeze of the far side.
You're absolutely correct, sir! :)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

PhantorGorth wrote:
drew wrote:
This is my understanding as well, but I think we shouldn't forget the possibility of companion moons, which could alleviate the tidal locking problem :). (i.e., if two bodies were tidally locked to each other there would be day and night).
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

CommRLock78 wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
drew wrote:
This is my understanding as well, but I think we shouldn't forget the possibility of companion moons, which could alleviate the tidal locking problem :). (i.e., if two bodies were tidally locked to each other there would be day and night).
It all depends on what wins tidally. The moon would eventually move futher away and it's effect would reduce whereas the sun's effect would remain fairly constant so the sun would win in the long run.

Another point is you can have a system further out (even beyond the normally referred habital zone) and still be warm enough to support life by adding enough CO2 or other greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. Tidal locking would not be an issue for these types of planets.

GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Another point is you can have a system further out (even beyond the normally referred habital zone) and still be warm enough to support life by adding enough CO2 or other greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. Tidal locking would not be an issue for these types of planets.
You know what all this means, do you?? :shock: We are surrounded by hostile aliens who envy us for our powerful yellow sun!!! :? Most likely penguine-like beings capable of hacking computers with their bare feet!!! :shock: We need a Death Star to protect ourselves NOW!!! AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh....
*runs of in panic*
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

PhantorGorth wrote:
It all depends on what wins tidally. The moon would eventually move futher away and it's effect would reduce whereas the sun's effect would remain fairly constant so the sun would win in the long run.

Interesting point. It would be great to find the simulator like this one that Pleb mentioned months back, which included moons as well (the one I know of that I linked to is great, but the simulated planet lacks a moon).
GGShinobi wrote:
You know what all this means, do you?? :shock: We are surrounded by hostile aliens who envy us for our powerful yellow sun!!! :? Most likely penguine-like beings capable of hacking computers with their bare feet!!! :shock: We need a Death Star to protect ourselves NOW!!! AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh....
*runs of in panic*
:lol: :mrgreen: Penguins... :P

Edit: K-type stars have a lifetime over twice the lifetime of G-type star, and don't run the risk of having their Habitable Zone in range of the tidal locking zone.
Wikipedia: K-type main sequence star wrote:
Orange dwarfs are about three to four times as abundant as sun-like stars, making planet searches easier
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

A slight digression - here's a little plot of Planck's Law using four different typical stellar type temperatures from F,G,K, and M.
I have a hypothesis that plants on earth are green because that's where the peak intensity for the sun is, however, it will be a hard thing to prove or disprove until we have some other examples of plants from other sun types.