Cooking in space

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Cooking in space

Post by Makandal »

Apart from jelly bears, could you suggest chef recipes aboard a Cobra Mark III ?
This is my menu:

Goat Soup "a la Rilebeli" with fried banana side dish
Salad of marausian grub cooked-frozen in deep space with a hot lettuce salad
Emince of edible poet with Ouza tulips bulbs poached in milk
or
Shrew cutlet in their thyme crust barbecued on super nova radiations with Earth red beans

Reversed ice cream (Basically a molten hot vanilla and fresh fruit mixture exposed for 20 sec in deep space cold, the center will still be very hot but the outside crust is ice creamed)
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Cooking in space

Post by SandJ »

Makandal wrote:
Reversed ice cream (Basically a molten hot vanilla and fresh fruit mixture exposed for 20 sec in deep space cold, the center will still be very hot but the outside crust is ice creamed)
So that would be the opposite of a Baked Alaska, a Frosted Desert dessert perhaps?

Would exposing raw steak to deep space tenderise it?

Don't put the raw veg out there, though. My dad grew veg on his allotment and kept it in the shed until needed. One bad winter it was so cold the carrots produced button-like extrusions of ice from all up their sides. When they melted, the carrots were opened out and dry just ike pine cones.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

BBQ'd Trumbles of course! :D

Last edited by Smivs on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Laser flash-seared goujons of Riarribi sunfloater au jus.

Insoazaian wolf cutlets, served with shredded ding pickles on a bed of bidi rice, with a side order of Reerquian edible moth scratchings.

Frog in the Gravity Well.

Skwubble and Beak.

Chocolate Schwartzchild topped with fresh-squeezed Razaar honeydew.
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

Makandal wrote:
exposed for 20 sec in deep space cold
just one little problem: space isn't cold. for something to be cold, or hot, for that matters, there has to be ... something.
vacuum by itself has no temperature, as there is nothing that could have the temperature. exposing something to space has quite the opposite effect: it can dissipate heat by radiation only, and your icecream won't do that efficient at all.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Wyvern wrote:
just one little problem: space isn't cold. for something to be cold, or hot, for that matters, there has to be ... something.
vacuum by itself has no temperature, as there is nothing that could have the temperature. exposing something to space has quite the opposite effect: it can dissipate heat by radiation only, and your icecream won't do that efficient at all.
Space is about 4K and a very strong vacuum, so well below the triple point of water.

The water content near the surface of the ice-cream will, almost instanty, very rapidly boil off into the vacuum, and that will take latent heat of boiling from the remaining ice cream and chill it very quickly. Any part of the water content of the ice-cream that cannot access the vacuum (such as inside the fruit) will freeze solid.

I suspect the desert would explode into molecular ice and bits of frozen fat and fruit, unless the pressure was released from the airlock very slowly.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wyvern wrote:
Makandal wrote:
The lack of pressure would mean the mixture would boil ... the evaporation should carry away the surface heat pretty quickly. It would be a race between boiling and freezing. A lot would depend on the surface area to volume ratio of the exposed material. Where's NASA when you need them?
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Disembodied wrote:
Where's NASA when you need them?
Eating freeze-dried ice-cream, apparently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze-dried_ice_cream

And at $4 for 21 grammes, ( http://www.thespaceshop.com/neopicecream.html ) it's no wonder they cannot afford to keep the space shuttle flying!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

:lol: Courtesy of this thread, I've had a right laugh researching answers.

Everyone knows about NASA spending squillions of dollars on a space-pen, whilst the Russians used pencils. But this page about NASA trying to do the impossible to reproduce processed food, while the Russians eat fresh food, tickled me enormously. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_food

And the details of the super-complex meal trays with clips and Velcro and magnets and pouches and hot-water for rehydration and thigh straps and ... meanwhile the Russians eat their food straight from the can with a fork. Priceless!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Smivs wrote:
BBQ'd Trumbles of course! :D

<Sniff><Sniff>

I smell chicken. Heh! :D

Smivs, that middle one is starting to burn, better flip it. :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

Disembodied wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Makandal wrote:
The lack of pressure would mean the mixture would boil ... the evaporation should carry away the surface heat pretty quickly. It would be a race between boiling and freezing. A lot would depend on the surface area to volume ratio of the exposed material. Where's NASA when you need them?
indeed, there might be some cooling through evaporation, but i doubt it would affect the mass left behind much.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

About my icecream, it does not come from empty head. There is a very now classic recipe of ice cream with liquid nitrogen. I understand the vacuum will probably cause some antagonist effects but I believe at the end that the cream which is an emulsion, will dehydrate on surface and create a crust avoiding the rest to go stay moist inside, a bit like when you stir fry meat before boiling it.
But inside, the ice cream will still stay hot. Whether or not it will explode is a good question... :twisted:
There is already a very easy way to make reversed "Baked Alaska" (Omelette Norvegienne in french): you prepare a dry meringue (whisked egg white with sugar cooked in oven, it becomes hard). Then you make a hole in the middle. You fill it with a mix of orange marmelade for example and Grand Marnier in equal quantity. Then you cover the top with black molten chocolate. You make a small hole on top that is kept open with a roll of paper. You put the whole to deep freezer.
Then, you put it in micro wave. The meringue and the chocolate will not absorb the microwaves. But the inside, because of the high alcool content and the sugar is not frozen and is making a very thick syrup. After about 20 sec, it will boil through the small hole.

I guess we should get the same with a hot molten ice cream exposed to space.

EDIT: About tenderizing meat with vaccum, I guess the result will be nil. Meat is basically made of fat and long protein fibers. When an animal is dying, the meat will be tender but then, some enzyms will be released and the fibers will contract and the meat will get hard like a muscle contracting. This is the aim of meat curing, leaving meat for 2-3 weeks in a freezer to get softer. I had a girlfriend some years ago who was making a PhD on using ultra high pressure to tenderize meat. And the conclusion was that it was innefficient. So I guess deep space will be the same, increasing or decreasing pressure will not change much.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Laser-fried pirate, yummy. :twisted:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Laser-fried pirate, yummy. :twisted:
specially children and females YUMM
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW