DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Reporting spam

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
Cmdr_Overscore wrote:
Hey Disembodied! (:|) |-<
Does this, my first post keep me off the spam random hit-list? I realise that I probably won't post often, reason being I feel too inadequate. BTW I don't drink coffee - it's too dangerous...
Your profile is enough, to be honest ... heck, even your profile name is pretty obviously the creation of a person who plays Oolite. You, sir, score very low on the spamometer, even without an introductory post. We spam assassins are ruthless, but (reasonably) careful! :wink:
True, even at my most whirling dervish, I only managed to deactivate an account of somebody who turned out the be a non-spammer, not actually delete them... :roll: :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
EDIT - Checked - Confirmed - sleeper agent - I'm working my way back through the inactive list - but we're getting about 20 to 40 a day - so they're joining faster than I can check and delete them...
Okay, now I'm confused.

VOTEadj (https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=3861) has a dozen hits on SFS. A quick google brings up heaps of recently joined boards - anything from ForEx trading to Truck pulling. But the join date is Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:17 pm, making it look like the acct was at some point deactivated and has now been reactivated. What gives?

Edit: The bottom link on page 1 of my google search was http://www.419legal.org/members/voteadj.html. I found that amusing.

Edit2: Yeah, definitely fishy: http://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/92.80.113.63

Edit3: Now this is hilarious. Someone with that username has actually gone ahead and posted spam on a Penis enlargement forum! http://www.mynewsize.com/forum/search.p ... chid=13954 :lol:
Last edited by CheeseRedux on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Thanks CR... I'll let it be for the moment, so DH or the M&C can look at it.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
EDIT - Checked - Confirmed - sleeper agent - I'm working my way back through the inactive list - but we're getting about 20 to 40 a day - so they're joining faster than I can check and delete them...
So does that mean we'll be seeing more of those backdated ones as you do your thing?
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

CheeseRedux wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
So does that mean we'll be seeing more of those backdated ones as you do your thing?
It means some of our 2000+ members or the 450 members who have joined since the forum was created on Jan 8th but remain inactive are spambots - but haven't done anything to attract suspicion (yet) - actually 99% of the inactive list that I've put into SFS have come back as spambots - so the temptation is of course - just to nuke them all (from orbit) - but it lacks a certain amount of finesse.

So, keep vigilante!

(I actually looked at VOTEadj the day 'it' joined but that that time there were not hits on SFS (so although my spammy sense was tingling I lacked the proof to wield the sword)
Selezen wrote:
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Okay, let me see if my feeble mind has grasped this.
The 'inactive list' are accounts that has been set up, but that hasn't done the final verification thing, thus being invisible to those of us without special powers.
Once activated, the account appears on the regular list, but with a join date matching the creation, not the activation, thus potentially avoiding the eagle eyes that forget to scan past the newest member.

That about right?
(Ooh, two three 'thus'es in one post!)
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Okay, let me see if my feeble mind has grasped this.
The 'inactive list' are accounts that has been set up, but that hasn't done the final verification thing, thus being invisible to those of us without special powers.
Once activated, the account appears on the regular list, but with a join date matching the creation, not the activation, thus potentially avoiding the eagle eyes that forget to scan past the newest member.

That about right?
(Ooh, two three 'thus'es in one post!)
Pretty much yes - the members I can see but you can't have a join date, but they're inactive because they haven't completed the activation process - I presume the standard modus operandi is either to not bother, or confirm at a later date - whether they then become the "newest member" I'm not sure - as I don't know what moves somebody on to that list, but I think it includes the activation... (so they won't necessarily slip by unnoticed!)

And of course "vigilante" was a Freudian slip - I meant vigilant!
Selezen wrote:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Crikey! I'm glad that I only have to 'dispatch' them.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
Crikey! I'm glad that I only have to 'dispatch' them.
Theoretically, me too, just trying to be a little pro-active where possible!

I have a very long list of particularly bad IPs to give to Giles at some point...
Selezen wrote:
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

--Dean C Engelhardt
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

gogz69 wrote:
Yeah, competition is fierce around these parts, even with the current plethora of spammers. 8)
--Dean C Engelhardt
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

What about this one? memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4056
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Anyone who's interested in downloading movies, should visit carflongran's (https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=4056) website. It promises High-Quality (sic) and has a lot of 'click here' signs, so it must be good.
--Dean C Engelhardt