Headlights?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Vibrator
Average
Average

Headlights?

Post by Vibrator »

Enjoying the Deep Horizons Lights Down Mod and while docking on the dark side of a Coriolis got to thinking "wouldn't flood lights be cool?". Or an aimable spotlight or something...

On that note, what about switchable "false colour" filters? This would switch off the kind of flashy-but-naive nebulae type backdrops that wouldn't be visible at optical wavelengths, leaving a clean black sky. Plus maybe there could be some use for scanning at different wavelengths, dunno (heat/jump trails?)... opens up possibilities tho while keeping space black.. (ahem, sorry i know this ain't an E4 wishlist)
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Headlights?

Post by Bugbear »

Something similar has been previously suggested...Spotlights

{edit}Oh and welcome to the friendliest board this site of Reidquat!!!!
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The appearance of the sky can be altered by editing planetinfo.plist. For instance, if you don't like the nebulae, you can turn them off completely.

The plist resides in Oolite.app/Contents/Resources/Config. It's not recommended to edit files inside the Oolite distribution, though. Better c&p the whole planetinfo.plist to your AddOns-folder and edit the copy. It will override the original.
Vibrator
Average
Average

Post by Vibrator »

Cheers guys, no worries about the spotlights, no big deal (fingers x'ed mebe V2 will add this), and ditto the nebulae - they're not too gaudy i guess, still might have a poke round my planetinfo.plist later..
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Agreed! Watching your spotlights sweep over rock hermits and stations would be very cool.
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

A set of salvage lights that came on automatically when a scoopable was within 2 or 3 km would make for nice cinema if you're on the dark side. :x
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

On one of my computers that doesn't have shader support, Oolite is VERY dark and hard to see anything.
How do I set the gamma/contrast/brightness levels to overcome that?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Spotlights couldn't be done with the current Oolite, maybe Oolite 2? Please ? :P

<EDIT> Once tried to fake spotlights on one of my ships. By using fake transparency, I managed to make one as a subentity... Then took it out flying and realised that people could shoot the beam of light and it would ram into things when docking.