Temperatures etc after witchspace jump

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Temperatures etc after witchspace jump

Post by myst.RAVEN »

OK, so seeing as a typical witch-space jump takes several hours of in-game time, shouldn't cabin and laser temps be reset to normal at the end of a jump? There may be other such variables that should take into account the passage of time (though I would exclude Fuel Collectors from this - call it that you can't collect fuel while in witchspace, maybe.)

Of course, it may be that a witch-space jump is actually instantaneous to the traveller, and it's only the rest of the universe that "ages" in that time, in which case passage of time would be suspended in the ship, and temperatures would remain as they were at start of jump...

(Not sure of the canonical lore here, so not sure which of the above alternatives applies)
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Full throttle and fuel injectors - now THAT's the way to park!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Several game hours, but those hours do not occur within normal space, so there is no reason to think normal physics apply.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Temperatures etc after witchspace jump

Post by Eric Walch »

myst.RAVEN wrote:
OK, so seeing as a typical witch-space jump takes several hours of in-game time, shouldn't cabin and laser temps be reset to normal at the end of a jump?
I am not fully aware of the physics during hyper jumping, but on order to cool down the ship must radiate heat. Probably radiation is immediately reflected back during a jump. At least the temperature not decreasing suggests that.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Interesting for temperature sensitive things, like our furry friends.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Only if you could get your hull cabin temperature up by other means than flying close to a sun, IIRC being close to a sun, planet, ship, rock or in Eagis prevents hyperspace jumps.

Accordingly to the fictional story that came with the first editions of Elite, hyperspace is a wormhole and time does pass. Not sure how much, though certainly more than the several seconds of of gametime.
edit: I think it was the The Dark Wheel
Riding the Rocket!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

You can heat the ship up by injecting through the planet's atmosphere...

From the Dark Wheel:
The ship drifted in 'WitchLight', in the non-place in space and time. It was crossing the void between stars in seconds, but for those seconds it was in a twilight world whose existence was beyond imagination.
(which means Oolite sort of contradicts it with time advancement - unless you accept that this "in seconds" is actually perceived passage - both for you and your ship and therefore the laws of thermodynamics and entropy)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Wasnt there a passage about them twisting and turning through the wormhole and following beacons ?

IIRc the commander was with his young son, telling stories of Raxxla etc.
Maybe I'm thinkning of another story...
Riding the Rocket!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Wasnt there a passage about them twisting and turning through the wormhole and following beacons ?

IIRc the commander was with his young son, telling stories of Raxxla etc.
Maybe I'm thinkning of another story...
No, you're sort of right.
Robert Holdstock in The Dark Wheel wrote:
You're going to cover maybe seven light years in a few minutes, and you might think that's a lot of space to get lost in, but that isn't how it works. Faraway is a tunnel, like any other tunnel. Inside that tunnel is the realm called Witch-Space, a magic place, a place where the normal rules of the Universe don't necessarily work. And every few thousand parsecs along the Witch-Space tunnel there are monitoring satellites, and branch lines, and stop points, and rescue stations; and passing by all of these are perhaps a hundred channels, a hundred 'lines' for ships to travel, each one protected against the two big dangers of hyperspace travel: atomic reorganisation, and time displacement.
Selezen wrote:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
. And every few thousand parsecs along the Witch-Space tunnel
[heresy]This is pure nonsense.[/heresy]
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
. And every few thousand parsecs along the Witch-Space tunnel
[heresy]This is pure nonsense.[/heresy]
Parsec: a unit of astronomical length based on the distance from Earth at which stellar parallax is 1 second of arc; equivalent to 3.262 light years
I suspect, Rob H, like George L, didn't actually know what a Parsec was...
Selezen wrote:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I suspect, Rob H, like George L, didn't actually know what a Parsec was...
Still, at least he was using it as a measure of distance, and not (like George L) of time ...

Personally speaking, I think that time passes in Witchspace. A 36-hour jump takes 36 hours (it's elided in-game, of course) – otherwise we'd hardly spend any time on our ships. A journey from one station to another could be over in a few minutes. That feels wrong, to me!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Exactly… Oolite (the game) tells me that a hyperspace jump of 3.2 lights has an ‘estimated travel time’ of 10.2 hours.
That’s my commander’s downtime… sleep, eat, shower etc and he’s ready for the next system.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

It is not made clear by the game if this is the amount of time perceived by the pilot (you have 10.2 hours, thats enough time to make dinner), or the time that passes in real space before you arrive back (you might not be able to make your delivery deadline).

Personally I think life would b easiest all around if we assume there are now weird relativistic or different-physics-in-witchspace effects and that time passes the same in both. However I dont think this is clear at all.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

It's definitely not clear ... that's the beauty of it, though! It makes no difference to the actual game, there's ample room for handwaving and we can squash it around as much as we like to fit with our own personal canons.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr James wrote:
It is not made clear by the game if this is the amount of time perceived by the pilot (you have 10.2 hours, thats enough time to make dinner), or the time that passes in real space before you arrive back (you might not be able to make your delivery deadline).
It’s very clearly the latter, as seen by the adjusting clock on the bottom of the screen. That’s the universal calendar by which delivery deadlines are reckoned.