Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Free slaves

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bones0
Average
Average

Free slaves

Post by bones0 »

I sort of miss an option to free slaves. I know it's not original from Elite... but neverthless I hate it when you safe a guy out there in space shot by pirates and all you can do is selling him as a slave or kick him out to space again. For me that could be a feature for F4 while docked. Press F4 and get a list of the people abord (not the regular passengers ;) and decide if you want to sell them, set them free or bring them to the local police office.

Why bring them to the police? Well, simple: It opens the following possibilities:
- The person is a wanted criminal --> You get some money from the state
- The person is a rich wanted criminal --> You get more money if you set him free without the police ;-)
- The person is a normal guy without money --> You'll get many thanks either way :-) (well, if you prefer money you may get it by selling him as a slave)
- The person is rich --> You'll get some money either way; probably more than you'll get when selling as a slave

It opens possibilities, doesn't it?

Regards
Peter
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

If they are insured you already get paid by their insurance company. If they are a criminal you already get bounty.

The only area for improvement is a menu to allow you to chose what to do instead of oolite deciding for you. This was discussed a while ago, and although there was some talk of an OXP it never surfaced.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

At the moment you can't tell from script what cargo of specific type (e.g. how many slaves) you actually have in your hold. That's the showstopper.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

A not-totally-satisfying workaround would be to create a series of charitable "liberation stations" – dockable entities, inside the aegis of, perhaps, Democracies and Confederacies (maybe limited by TL and/or wealth) which only trade in, say, food, textiles (blankets), narcotics (medicines) and slaves. They don't have any of these for sale, and they only pay low prices for any you bring in. For slaves they only offer ₢0.1 – a legal nicety which transfers ownership of the slaves to the liberation station, which then sets them free and attempts to repatriate them where possible. It's not somewhere you go to to make a profit: you'd be selling any food, textiles or narcotics to them for pretty much a nominal fee.

Perhaps it could generate missions for the player to transport X tons of liberated slaves to their homeworlds. You wouldn't get any money for doing this – just a warm glow. There could even be a method of donating money to the cause, which might help ease the buildup of spare cash for more advanced players.
bones0
Average
Average

Post by bones0 »

Oh, well, I didn't know that there's already something to avoid automatic slavery for saved pilots. I was looking for threads about freeing slaves but didn't find anything... probably searched the wrong keywords ;)

Well, liberation stations... would be quite time consuming to travel there, dock etc... but neverthless a nice idea.

Regards
Peter
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Free slaves

Post by Eric Walch »

bones0 wrote:
I sort of miss an option to free slaves. I know it's not original from Elite... but neverthless I hate it when you safe a guy out there in space shot by pirates and all you can do is selling him as a slave or kick him out to space again.
Currently a script has no access to the slave inventory, but I know of two oxps that add pods wit special slaves. Those can be rescued and released. (ups-courier.oxp and vector.oxp) Although for both oxps this only becomes possible after a longer time of playing and doing other missions first.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hehe, yes. As Eric said. For the first Vectors 'slaves' you'll need >200 kills and goes a bit along the line - 'Free' the slavers. You don't have to do any mission before - the background mission is independent from that. And the more you're in this 'business' the more options you'll get - this takes a while, hehe.
bones0
Average
Average

Post by bones0 »

Cmdr James wrote:
If they are insured you already get paid by their insurance company. If they are a criminal you already get bounty.
I tried it out now. Before I dumped them when it said "Slaves" in my cargo repository since I expected to be arrested as a slave dealer right after docking.

Regards
Peter
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Bringing slaves in to a main system station isn't a crime; the only penalty you'll get for carrying certain types of cargo is if you launch from a main station with slaves, firearms or narcotics in your hold. You can buy these items in, say, a Convenience Store, launch, fly in to the planetary station and sell them there, all completely legal and above-board. The morality of such an action is a different matter ...
bones0
Average
Average

Post by bones0 »

Disembodied wrote:
Bringing slaves in to a main system station isn't a crime; the only penalty you'll get for carrying certain types of cargo is if you launch from a main station with slaves, firearms or narcotics in your hold.
Which means you have to sell the slaves if the captured/saved eject capsule passangers somehow aren't re-converted from slaves while docking. Which makes it a try and error thing ;) But it's only a game so I don't really worry.

Anyway law seems to be a bit funny in Oolite ;)

Regards
Peter
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

bones0 wrote:
Which means you have to sell the slaves if the captured/saved eject capsule passangers somehow aren't re-converted from slaves while docking. Which makes it a try and error thing ;) But it's only a game so I don't really worry.
Well, if you scoop an escape pod and it comes up "slaves", take them in to any station (including the main system station) and sell them there, all perfectly legal. OK, so whoever it is gets sold into slavery, but at least they're not drifting about in deep space inside a tin can ... it's overrated, let me tell you. :wink:
bones0 wrote:
Anyway law seems to be a bit funny in Oolite ;)

It's rough and ready, I'll grant you that. Basically it's stripped down to bare essentials, to incorporate a whole range of often contradictory local laws and customs. Lots of societies are perfectly happy with trade in firearms, slaves and narcotics; many others aren't. These goods aren't illegal throughout the Co-operative, they're just controlled. So you can bring them in to a main Co-op station, and everything is fine: but unless you've got a special licence from a local jurisdiction you can't bring them out again.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

I take abord my slaves till they can afford a new ship. Anyone who sells/trades slaves will not want to see a pcc

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"