Finding OXP's

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Finding OXP's

Post by dalek501 »

Right, from the start I don't want to make this sound like a criticism because its not. I know a lot of hard work goes into this place and the wiki, so please don't take this the wrong way. :)

Basically, I tend to get very confused about OXP's and their releases/updates. It seems there are 3 places where they can be found. Either here, the wiki or members own web pages. None of the ever seem to be synced up making tracking down oxp's a bit of a nightmare if you have been away for a while..

I was wondering if maybe it would be a good idea to have a sub forum specifically for links to new or updated oxp's that doesn't allow discussion? That continues in the Expansion pack area.

Each release or update has its own thread with a single link to the download (wherever that may be) and the thread title has to contain certain info. Maybe - name/type (ship, flavour etc etc)/version/date/oolite version required.

Maybe each new oxp/update gets stickied until its changed, then the old version is allowed to slip down with the latest being stickied again?

That way hopefully the OXP's can be better tracked for people like me! IE numpties! :wink:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I think this is historical simply from the Wiki being down for a while and then being hosted by Winston on his own kit and therefore read-only. I'm sure there will be a gentle propagation back to the Wiki being the definitive source for OXPs.

You can always shout and somebody will point you in the right direction - although nobody, sadly, was able to answer my plea for the Refugee Adder :(
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Thats fair enough then. :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And most OXP writers tend to announce new OXPs and/or new versions of existing ones in the OXP forum anyway. Yes if you're coming in to it cold it can be a bit of work to wade through the threads, but if you know which one(s) you're after and just want to know the latest version, then most all have a thread there you can find and check (ok so it may be on page 6, but the search button up-top can help there too).

DH's comments about the wiki are very true, although thankfully now it's been back with us for a while it's getting a lot better again. But actually hosting OXPs on the wiki (rather than sites like box.net) probably won't do the wiki's server size and bandwidth much good (plus you have to get a little creative with filing anyway, as it's not really designed as a file-host). Also places like Box make it simpler to track things like number of downloads, so you can see which of your OXPs are "popular" and what people seem to like. But having the wiki link directly to those is simple enough, even an alien like me can manage it ;)
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

I was going to post my own suggestion but to post here seems appropriate. How about a in game download section where the better campaigns, ships general addons can be downloaded directly into the game. Battle for Wesnoth uses this idea and it works very well.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Rustybolts wrote:
I was going to post my own suggestion but to post here seems appropriate. How about a in game download section where the better campaigns, ships general addons can be downloaded directly into the game.
Major new game features are out of the question at this time.