Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

a few minor enhancements

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

harry747
Deadly
Deadly

a few minor enhancements

Post by harry747 »

a couple of things that i think would make things easier:

- Scanner display: if the display is zoomed in but there's nothing on it, it should zoom out to the next level. that would make things like combat and chasing cargo containers easier. when i've got the joystick to work (don't hold your breath!), i intend to have a crack at this one.

- advanced space compass: if the targetting system is locked on a target, the compass should automatically switch to target mode, kinda like when it switches into station mode when near the station. again, this would make combat easier.

- the yaw indicator (suggested in this forum) sounds like a good idea too.

comments? questions? ideas? discuss!
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: a few minor enhancements

Post by another_commander »

harry747 wrote:
a couple of things that i think would make things easier:

- Scanner display: if the display is zoomed in but there's nothing on it, it should zoom out to the next level. that would make things like combat and chasing cargo containers easier. when i've got the joystick to work (don't hold your breath!), i intend to have a crack at this one.
I would not agree with this for two reasons: 1) It can cause confusion because when I press zoom four times I expect to reach x5 zoom level, not x4 or x3 and 2) The way it is described it means that until something appears on the scanner on, say, x5 zoom level, I would not be able to go back to zoom level 1 (because as soon as I go from level 4 to level 5 it will be dropping immediately back to 4) unless I press zoom out four times. This can be not only confusing, but also annoying during combat.
- advanced space compass: if the targetting system is locked on a target, the compass should automatically switch to target mode, kinda like when it switches into station mode when near the station. again, this would make combat easier.
Again, this is too much automation in my opinion. Maybe the player has a reason to remain on e.g. planet or station or beacon mode on the compass and, besides, there is always the direction to target indicator on the hud to tell you which way to go in order to follow your target.
- the yaw indicator (suggested in this forum) sounds like a good idea too.
Yes, this is a good idea, so good in fact that it is already in the trunk version. ;-)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

harry747 wrote:
I find that mode completely obsolete, so it would be an annoyance for me that I cannot turn towards the planet, rock hermit or such where I was heading for.

In combat, I never used the target mode, as it's too far outside the focus. I use the HUD direction indicator instead, as I then can keep the eye where I need it when I can start shooting.

For me, the enhancement would be to remove target mode from the compass.

Screet
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

another_commander wrote:
Again, this is too much automation in my opinion. Maybe the player has a reason to remain on e.g. planet or station or beacon mode on the compass and, besides, there is always the direction to target indicator on the hud to tell you which way to go in order to follow your target.
ok, then how about this: if the compass is in target mode when the target is lost, go back to target mode when another target is acquired (but not if the player switches to another mode after the target is lost). does that sound better?

yes, the indicator tells me which direction to go, but not how far. target mode gives me a much better idea where the target actually is.

Yes, this is a good idea, so good in fact that it is already in the trunk version. ;-)
it is? well, i'll find out the next time i download...
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

harry747 wrote:
ok, then how about this: if the compass is in target mode when the target is lost, go back to target mode when another target is acquired (but not if the player switches to another mode after the target is lost). does that sound better?
Honestly, I prefer that the player be the one and only decision maker and not the computer. I don't know if you intend to create a patch for this, but if you do, I would suggest making the option a hud.plist key that can be set to true or false and in such case I would not mind having it in.