Force-Feedback Joystick Support?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Force-Feedback Joystick Support?

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

First off -
***** THANK YOU!!!! *****
I'm an old Elite commander from the C64 & Apple IIc/e days. I'd heard about Oolite a few years ago, but when I looked into it back then, for some reason I didn't pick it up. I don't remember why.... Anyways, I got a need to blast something last week. So, I checked out the various commercial games, and an open source title I currently contribute on (Shameless Plug - UFO: Alien Invasion). They just weren't filling the need. And I ran into a post on the UFO forums where one of the other contributors mentioned Oolite. What the hell... I'll check it out.... Spectacular! All the enjoyment of the original source material, but without the "lack of purpose" that I occasionally felt. I was able to download a bunch of OXP's before the wiki went down. I have to say, I love the expansions you all have been able to add. There's still a few I need to get, and then I want to see about removing some (I have like 50+) and get it to a good "working set".

Anyways, I'm buying a new joy/flight-stick this weekend just to play Oolite. I don't know if you guys have added force-feedback support, so if you have, please ignore this. If you haven't - PLEASE!!!! I know absolutely NOTHING about coding, or I'd offer to help (and may learn just so I can :P).

Umm... Don't know what else to say, so...
***** THANK YOU AGAIN!!!! *****
Ensa
Competent
Competent

Re: Force-Feedback Joystick Support?

Post by Ensa »

Cmd. Cheyd Vlos'Olplyn wrote:
First off -
***** THANK YOU!!!! *****
I will second that. The developers and OXP-ers have done and are doing really amazing stuff.
I don't say thanks much because it would just be gratitude-spam and sound weird, but I feel like saying thanks lots, so I can quote you!

BTW. welcome Cmd. Cheyd Vlos'Olplyn :D
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Cmd. Cheyd Vlos'Olplyn wrote:
Anyways, I'm buying a new joy/flight-stick this weekend just to play Oolite. I don't know if you guys have added force-feedback support, so if you have, please ignore this. If you haven't - PLEASE!!!! I know absolutely NOTHING about coding, or I'd offer to help (and may learn just so I can :P).
I am using a force-feedback joystick....and the force feedback is only used in order to make it center perfectly ;)

Indeed it's a micrsoft stick...and they don't support joysticks anymore, for some years now. Thus, most games do not allow usage of a joystick, there are no working drivers to set up the stick, but only basic ones which do not allow to set up the forces.

On very old windows systems there were drivers available, however they were so buggy that it was not possible to set the forces properly.

I have yet to encounter ANY game where the force feedback is working in a way that it would enhance playability. Really, it's a good thing for auto-centering as all other PC sticks I encountered so far were not precise enough to do that...but about having "effects" on the stick, better forget it. Concerning oolite, I cannot even think up of anything where it would be useful. When you crash while docking, you're dead anyway.

My neighbour has been a pilot until burnout and now all he is allowed to do is use Flight Simulator...he believes that all those sticks are not precise enough anyway and has a custom set built out of F16s flight control equipment. They do handle MUCH better, but I never dared to ask him about the cost...

Screet
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Screet wrote:

My neighbour has been a pilot until burnout and now all he is allowed to do is use Flight Simulator...he believes that all those sticks are not precise enough anyway and has a custom set built out of F16s flight control equipment. They do handle MUCH better, but I never dared to ask him about the cost...

Screet
They make those here some 30 km away, at TERMA Lystrup Denmark, i used to date a woman that works at that company.. The cost: he probably got outdated ones cheap at an army surplus shop or something..

You could always ask him if he got those there, depending on his answer you should be able to tell if he got it legally ;-).. There really should be no hurt in asking.. Humans are curios, its when humans get too inquisitive its annoying...

It sounds very cool though....
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Frame wrote:
They make those here some 30 km away, at TERMA Lystrup Denmark, i used to date a woman that works at that company.. The cost: he probably got outdated ones cheap at an army surplus shop or something..

You could always ask him if he got those there, depending on his answer you should be able to tell if he got it legally ;-).. There really should be no hurt in asking.. Humans are curios, its when humans get too inquisitive its annoying...

It sounds very cool though....
That equipment definitely is cool...maybe I really should ask ;) Too bad that you write "used to" and not that youre still together with her, or I might even ask you now ;)

I thought he might have got them through a relative, as he was living quite some time in the US (had flown his first craft at the age of 14, wasn't allowed to take-off or land, though, at that age, and one of his relatives is/was flying for the Blue Angels after doing some "secret" missions before.

The sad part is, that he's himself just not allowed to return to flight status after having a burnout, for "security" reasons. Guess it's better that I never did more than flying simulators, as I really can imagine how much I'd miss such a thing otherwise.

Screet, who is unable to go for a skiing holiday for some years now after severe knee injuries (without knowing what caused those injuries)...and has original racing ski (not those which are sold at the shops!) waiting for him to recover...
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Trying to work on this feature request (issue #265), I've reached a dead-end having no access to any force-feedback gamepad/joystick to test a proof of concept that I have prepared.
My Thrustmater Dual Trigger 3-in-1 Rumble Force is not detected as force feedback device by Windows 7 or 10 (i.e. missing "Test Force Feedback" tab in Control Panel), and Thrustmaster Support communicated to me that it has no force feedback.

I don't want to end up buying something that will not be detected as having force feedback by Windows 7 or 10.
Can anyone, help, with a lead on how to get a supported one from Europe and for under 50euro (price + P&P)?
Last edited by Getafix on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I think you've got the issue #256 link mixed up.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Fixed. The issue number was wrong too! :oops:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Getafix wrote:
I don't want to end up buying something that will not be detected as having force feedback by Windows 7 or 10.
Can anyone, help, with a lead on how to get a supported one from Europe and for under 50euro (price + P&P)?
This Speedlink HOTAS is quite inexpensive and has force feedback. I don't own it myself (I ended up getting a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X in promotion, but it lacks vibrations) but the reviews are quite positive and I am sure it would work with the current versions of Windows. Might be worth a shot.
Cody

Post by Cody »

This one, from lower on the above linked page, is even cheaper.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

@gsagostinho and @Cody
I managed to find them both in the Greek market. Thank you both. :!: 8)

Considering the lightning speed of your feedback and the time I spent with no results, I have to accept that my internet searching skills are getting weak. :)

I initially rushed into ordering the stick. Given a second thought, and some reviews I read, I cancelled and ordered the HOTAS.
After the force feedback feature attempts are completed, I will give it to a friend. He will make more use than I ever will.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

@Getafix I am glad those links were helpful! I've spend many hours researching inexpensive sticks and HOTAS when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, so I am happy to be able to help! I've also read many reviews of the Speedlink HOTAS and people seem quite happy with it (particularly when considering the value for the price). That would have been my choice had I not received that promotion with the T-Flight Hotas X, which has more buttons and a twist stick but no force feedback unfortunately.

Enjoy the joystick!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Getafix wrote:
Getafix wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 am
...Considering...the time I spent with no results, I have to accept that my internet searching skills are getting weak. :) ...
gsagostinho wrote:
gsagostinho wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 am
...I've spend many hours researching inexpensive sticks and HOTAS when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago...
That makes me feel a bit better. :)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Following a cancelled order, due to a misunderstanding (facepalm), the joystick was no longer available in the store (double facepalm).
I placed a new ordered at a UK store this time. Now waiting for the delivery; ETA is for end of next week. (taping fingers... ehm, feathers on the table)

I hope that the next update will be posted in github with test results.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Sorry to hear about the problems, Getafix!