Longhaul Outpost (LHO) - a freeport in a controlled universe

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

rabidvixen
Above Average
Above Average

Longhaul Outpost (LHO) - a freeport in a controlled universe

Post by rabidvixen »

Some of you might be familiar with the Coriolis Class station renamed to Longhaul Outpost (LHO), a sort of babylon 5 in the FEU scene since 1998. I was wondering if it would be possible to put LHO into Oolite for the PC? The station differs from existing stations in the FEU in that practically anything is legal, crimes are ignored for the most part, and located out on the edge of the Diso System, rather than close in around one of the planets or the primary, it is a unique stopping off and trading point for all manner of unsavory characters.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that in any universe which is as uniform as the FEU is, there will be "independant operations" that players will come across from time to time which have shall we say, rather unique, provisions for all comers. Further information on LHO is available upon request.
Berihn Shipping: We get it there ... eventually.
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Only if it has a Rick's Cafe Americain with some black dude singing 'It had to be you'.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
rabidvixen
Above Average
Above Average

From Koffee Houses to Religious Nutters

Post by rabidvixen »

No problem there! Heck, we could probably even produce a in-game guide to the best places to go and see ... cheap fuel, best prices for all things both legal and otherwise, not to mention girls, girls, girls! I suspect that such a facility would have to serve Ultra-koffee though, at the very least.

Hey, while we're at it, lets not forget religious tolerance. I understand that LHO is the current center of the Heston Movement, those looney tunes with far too much firepower who belong to the Brotherhood of Bedlam, a group of pseudo-monks who believe that their god is called Heston, and who are led by Father Patrick Arsekicker, combateer and priest. Rumor has it that they fly around in anything they can get their hands on, and attempt to "convert" sinners or blow them away for Heston's benefit if they're not interested in co-operating.
Berihn Shipping: We get it there ... eventually.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

It'd be fairly easy to add as an expansion pack that should work cross-platform (on the Mac version - the forthcoming PC version, and on any Linux version based on either code-base).

Requires:-

A small custom model for the welcome to Longhaul Outpost sign attached to the outside of the station. And texture artwork for the same. Possibly custom textures for the station itself.

A custom script / planetinfo.plist entry to add the station to Diso system.

Possibly a custom market (set of prices and how they vary) for the Outpost, varying slightly from the 'official' Diso market.

Any scripts for missions based from LHO.

Scripts would have to be initially compatible with the v1.30 codebase.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Bump.

Is this still in the plans by someone?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Oh yes. It's still in the works.

I need Rabidvixen to draw the graphics for texturing the Coriolis. The work on the website is sort of taking precedence at the moment though.

Basically, the concept for Oolite is simple enough, it's just a Coriolis station in Diso orbitspace. I'll be creating a custom Coriolis model for it, and maybe a few custom ships and missions.

It'll very much be an expanding project. At the moment thought, the focus is on the web site, which is Jannah's big baby.