Chatty passengers

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Chatty passengers

Post by Erai »

This may have been brought up earlier (but I searched first through the oxp's and the forum, really :wink: )

But: passengers generating texts would only marginally add to the game of course, but might still be a "nice to have"

I could imagine snooty nobles making silly demands, tourists talking about all the sights they saw, diplomats divulging what they réally think about Bemaera- and in the best case they might make for an amusing plot hook or clue.

Maybe it would also be nice if having certain passengers on board would generate extra opportunities for trade or buying equipment, you know, the usual "knowing people who know people who know... etc" thing.

As an extra extra, I could imagine luxury passenger space being for sale, or even re-enforced passenger space for prisoner transport. Or environmentally adapted passenger space for aliens. Or maybe even low-budget passenger space that would only take up 2 or 3 TC but would attract none but the most miserly, destitute or desperate of creatures (thinking about cryo-tubes/low berths)
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

good ideas :) might make passenger carrying more profitable too...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I support (almost) everything that brings more interaction, so I say: Good idea! (BTW: A variety in passenger cabins has been suggested before, I think in one of the "spend your money" threads.)

If you like, go ahead. :)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I thougt of this idea too. Depending on the space you buy you could get certain missions:

Some examples:

----------------------------------------------
Sort of space: Normal Passenger berth
Capacity: 1 person
Mission oppertunities: Taxi, Refugee
Example mission description

TAXI Mission-example:

Xeeze Quantono is a yellow felline zero-G cricket player who wants to visit his aunt on the planet Azaqu and play some cricket in spare time. He will pay you ($$$) in advance and ($$$) on arrival

Risk profile:
The risk of this mission is low. Quantono is not a high ranked player in the zero-G competition

REFUGEE Mission example:

Ver Fexaxos is a big fat frog wo wants to begin a new life on the planet of Onrira and is seeking passage on any ship who could take him there. ($$$) will be transferred at your bank account when you get there

Risk profile:
The Commi 'most wanted' list makes no reference of Fexaxos. However rumours say he's made not many friends. Some resitance can be expected..

---------------------------------------------
Sort of space: VIP Passenger berth
Capacity:: 1 person, 1 unit of cargo
Mission oppertunities: Company executive, VIP, Pop-star
make up your own examples
*VIP may require you to buy food and luxuries just for himself
and make more demands
Sort of space: Group passenger berth
Capacity:: 5 persons and 3 units of cargo
Mission oppertunities: Planet tour, conference/ meeting

Some waypoints/ stations/planets or suns must be vistited
Group demands onboard- service.
---------------------------------------------------
It would be nice if you can go up to buying your own Space Cruiseliner to organise luxury cruises (with multiple stops) etc. etc.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

pagroove wrote:
I thougt of this idea too. Depending on the space you buy you could get certain missions:

Some examples:

Sort of space: Normal Passenger berth
Capacity: 1 person
Mission oppertunities: Taxi, Refugee
Example mission description

TAXI Mission-example:

Xeeze Quantono is a yellow felline zero-G cricket player who wants to visit his aunt on the planet Azaqu and play some cricket in spare time. He will pay you ($$$) in advance and ($$$) on arrival

Risk profile:
The risk of this mission is low. Quantono is not a high ranked player in the zero-G competition

REFUGEE Mission example:

Ver Fexaxos is a big fat frog wo wants to begin a new life on the planet of Onrira and is seeking passage on any ship who could take him there. ($$$) will be transferred at your bank account when you get there

Risk profile:
The Commi 'most wanted' list makes no reference of Fexaxos. However rumours say he's made not many friends. Some resitance can be expected..

Sort of space: VIP Passenger berth
Capacity:: 1 person, 1 unit of cargo
Mission oppertunities: Company executive, VIP, Pop-star
make up your own examples
*VIP may require you to buy food and luxuries just for himself
and make more demands
Sort of space: Group passenger berth
Capacity:: 5 persons and 3 units of cargo
Mission oppertunities: Planet tour, conference/ meeting

Some waypoints/ stations/planets or suns must be vistited
Group demands onboard- service.
---------------------------------------------------
It would be nice if you can go up to buying your own Space Cruiseliner to organise luxury cruises (with multiple stops) etc. etc.

That would be awesome. Mabey you could get offers to sell your passengers as slaves, or an option to maroon them in an escape capsel in witch space. :twisted:.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

That would be awesome. Mabey you could get offers to sell your passengers as slaves, or an option to maroon them in an escape capsel in witch space.
Ha, that would create even new play-options! 8)
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Chatty passengers

Post by Sendraks »

pagroove - awesome ideas here, I really like the idea of the passengers chatting to their pilots and also the variable risks attached to each contract.

Would it be possible to have a group of passengers chat with each other as well? I'm thinking of a worst case scenario for the weary space captain, where they are transporting a family to a new home and the kids just won't stop being nuisances....... :twisted:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thread necromancy alert!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I blame pa for pointing me to this thread from the other thread on passengers started today!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Sendraks wrote:
I blame pa for pointing me to this thread from the other thread on passengers started today!
<chuckles>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I feel not blamed at all :D

Anyway. This could be expanded in such a way that only Python, PCC, Monitors I and II, Boa and Boa Clippers and Anaconda's could install special passenger expansions so that they are converted in a mini liner. We have NPC Anaconda liners already so why not player liners. But in that case transporting groups have to be more adventurous and chatty. Otherwise it is just another sort of contract.
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

I like it too. I thought luxury berth would be a cool idea, a lagre 'tip' could be depend on fulfilling requests made by passenger ("Would you please pick up 1 TC of megaweed/goat soup/gargle blasters?") I also like the idea of possible trade tip info, with maybe a variable chance of reliability. ("You might want to pick up a few extra TC if you've got room in your hold.")
uua90
Competent
Competent

Post by uua90 »

A "Suspicious Passengers" OXP would be interesting. Passengers on the run from the law, willing to pay big bucks, and the player has Fugitive legal status until the passenger is dropped off.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

uua90 wrote:
A "Suspicious Passengers" OXP would be interesting. Passengers on the run from the law, willing to pay big bucks, and the player has Fugitive legal status until the passenger is dropped off.
I like this idea, I think someone should get on this right away! :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Zark Montor
Competent
Competent

Post by Zark Montor »

Would probably need the random hits oxp or anarchies oxp, going near main stations as a "fuge" is nigh on suicide.

The chatty passengers could be extended to captured escape pods. A captured "fuge" pleads and begs, threatens and generally spews vemon over your intercom. Perhaps you take pity, or fall for a line of absolute BS about a cheap cloak, etc.
Various consequences now come into play. Hounded by his gang?

Thats what i like about Oolite, its OXP sets make it Elite+++, it improves itself depending on each players own particular vision of how Elite could have improved.

I myself do not put as much hope in Elite: Dangerous, as Frontier failed to deliver the promise expected. Sometimes its kind of difficult to improve on something as packed as Elite was, (remember it was an 8 bit program delivered on C64 within a 38k package)
I believe Oolite might be the natural progression.

Regards
I have returned! Less annoying and still enjoying the mighty Oo!
1.86 on self reconned dell studio xps thru Pep 8/64. Runs very well.
Nice to see its still well supported. Oo, Suits you, Sir!