Rock Hermits, docked police and escape pods

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Rock Hermits, docked police and escape pods

Post by phkb »

It's always seemed a bit odd to me that (a) Rock Hermits have a "dockedPolice" value of 8 (which is the default you get because "max_police" is not set in shipdata.plist), and (b) even if you set the "max_police" value to 0 for Rock Hermits, if you dock with scooped escape pods that have a bounty they will still get processed, including police taking them away.

The suggestion I'd like to make is that, if a station has no docked police, then it is not able to process offender-type escape pods. Insurance ones would still be OK anywhere, but bounty ones should only be able to be processed where there is a definite police presence. And if this was linked to the dockedPolice value, then any OXP stations can apply the same logic easily.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Rock Hermits, docked police and escape pods

Post by phkb »

As a secondary part to this suggestion, if it was implemented and Rock Hermits got a "max_police" value of 0, I'd also suggest increasing the number of "max_defense_ships" for each of the different roles, maybe 6 for chaotic RH's and 10 for pirate ones.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

The first suggestion is something that made me wonder too. To make the game more variable, there should be as much differences as possible between rock hermits and stations, and this is one of the things I would change. Realistically, the player should be able to decide if he wants the insurance pay or sell the captured pilot(s) as slaves, but the price for slaves is usually too low to think about it, and it has no consequences in the game if the player frees a captured pilot or if he turns him over to the police.

PS: Something completely different: The wiki says "Rock Hermits do not rotate.". That's obviously wrong.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Fritz wrote:
Something completely different: The wiki says "Rock Hermits do not rotate.". That's obviously wrong.
It was correct - Griff introduced rotating rock hermits in his shipset, which kinda became the core shipset.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Fritz wrote:
PS: Something completely different: The wiki says "Rock Hermits do not rotate.". That's obviously wrong.
They never used to...
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Perhaps only some of them should rotate, at different speeds, and perhaps some clockwise and some anticlockwise. This would create more variability, but it would need to be pseudo-random so that a rock hermit remains the same on every visit.
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

phkb wrote:
The suggestion I'd like to make is that, if a station has no docked police, then it is not able to process offender-type escape pods. Insurance ones would still be OK anywhere, but bounty ones should only be able to be processed where there is a definite police presence.
Seconded (- or is it thirded)?

I feel guilty when an escapee gets take off me at a pirate cove, and I then blow up the pirate cove. For that escapee will still be aboard the hermit!