Paint Missiles

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Re: Paint Missiles

Post by Ngalo »

PaintMissiles OXZ is now sort of ready for testing. Have fun!
Huntress wrote:
Also, some days I just find space too dark.
If you want a brighter, more colourful Ooniverse I've noticed that Deep Horizons--Lights Down 1.0 OXP has an interesting effect on the nebulae in Oolite 1.82, although it might be a bit hard on the GPU judging by fan noise.
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

Thanks for all the tips, people! Great Kelvin joke, also! It's nice to see that there are intelligent life forms on this planet. :D I have no idea how to do coding or programming or whatnot, but occasionally I get these ideas that may be pure genius or utter ridiculousness...

Also, can't wait to try out the OXZ Ngalo made. That is, if I can find the start button on my computer...
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

Another suggestion here. A while ago (I mean a long while ago) I was browsing through the shop and noticed that there were like ten different types of mines, so why not suggest one more for the heck of it? I was thinking about a laser strafing mine, or something of the like. You'd deploy it, get out of range and trigger it, making it fire multiple laser shots in all directions. The only question is if you'd be able to do it, and how. Would you make varying strengths and ranges for the mines like lasers, or would you have one type with limited range but concentrated power? Would the mine last 5 seconds or 15? What if you varying mines of strength and have the time decrease with strength?
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Huntress wrote:
Another suggestion here. A while ago (I mean a long while ago) I was browsing through the shop and noticed that there were like ten different types of mines, so why not suggest one more for the heck of it?
Those would be from the Armoury OXP, I'd say.. one of a number of Thargoid's OXPs which are currently awaiting a new maintainer.

Interesting suggestion, btw! :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Ngalo »

Huntress wrote:
I was thinking about a laser strafing mine, or something of the like. You'd deploy it, get out of range and trigger it, making it fire multiple laser shots in all directions. The only question is if you'd be able to do it, and how.
Another interesting idea. The nice thing about NPC ship entities is they can have as many weapons as they like on subentities, which usually only means multiple front guns but I suspect I could have them point all over the place... (if I can get my head around the necessary quaternions, that is)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Ngalo wrote:
Another interesting idea. The nice thing about NPC ship entities is they can have as many weapons as they like on subentities, which usually only means multiple front guns but I suspect I could have them point all over the place... (if I can get my head around the necessary quaternions, that is)
They'll probably only fire them in the case that a conventional forward-facing weapon would hit, which perhaps limits their usefulness for most applications, but it should otherwise work.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Hey Ngalo, I've made a Toonify Missile based on your oxp :-)
So, thank you :-)

Ok, it's not yet working perfectly :-/
See more on topic https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17452
Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Ngalo »

cim wrote:
They'll probably only fire them in the case that a conventional forward-facing weapon would hit
Um, yes, hadn't quite thought about firing when I made that last post. In theory the workaround I did for that experimental multi-gun player Iguana for Vincentz might work, but it would be awkward. Unfortunately I think I'll have to make a request for a new scripting method applicable to both scenarios.
Day wrote:
You're welcome!
Your proposed 'cel shaded Ooniverse' OXP is something I might quite like to fly with if it ever becomes practical.
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Ngalo wrote:
Day wrote:
You're welcome!
Your proposed 'cel shaded Ooniverse' OXP is something I might quite like to fly with if it ever becomes practical.
Thank you. I'll post my progress. :)
Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Ngalo »

Have made some attempt at the Laser Strafing Mine but the results are not promising- I can only get it to fire 3 to 7 shots over about 8 seconds at best. Sorry Huntress :(
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Huntress »

Ngalo wrote:
Have made some attempt at the Laser Strafing Mine but the results are not promising- I can only get it to fire 3 to 7 shots over about 8 seconds at best. Sorry Huntress :(
Hey, no worries. Would've been cool if worked, but perhaps I could somehow incorporate it into my story.... Thanks for trying, though!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?