Core game improvements (OXP code worth inclusion)

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Core game improvements (OXP code worth inclusion)

Post by Zireael »

Since at least one idea which has originated in an OXP (Equipment Aide's time to install display) has been integrated into core, I suggest the following.

1) Integrate [wiki]Randomshipnames_OXP[/wiki] with the core game :arrow: better immersion
2) Take out the basic shields code from [wiki]Custom Shields[/wiki]; minus the things that generate more fuel and debris :arrow: get rid of the FIXME:Add shields note in code :P
3) Integrate [wiki]Display_reputation_OXP[/wiki] :arrow: ease-of-use addon which has no effect on gameplay
4) Integrate [wiki]Delightful Docking[/wiki] or [wiki]NeoDockLights[/wiki] or [wiki]Dock_Assist_System_OXP[/wiki] :arrow: make docking easier for newbies
5) Integrate [wiki]Better Screens[/wiki] :arrow: better looking screens which don't affect performance negatively
6) Integrate a better buoy texture - I suggest Smivs' Better Buoys :arrow: DH are even better, but use shaders IIRC
7) Integrate [wiki]Famous Planets[/wiki] :arrow: better immersion
8) Integrate Sunskimmers OXP :arrow: better immersion
9) Integrate [wiki]Distant Suns[/wiki] :arrow: it's universally acknowledged that default suns are too close

Others I'm not as sure about:
1) Integrate the Anarchies fixes to legal ratings :arrow: I believe cim has called the current situation
an 8-bit simplification
2) [wiki]Market Observer[/wiki] :arrow: let's make ship interfaces 21st century and not 1980!
3) [wiki]Naval_Grid_OXP[/wiki], [wiki]Military_Fuel_Injectors_OXP[/wiki] :arrow: more money sinks which don't affect game balance
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Core game improvements (OXP code worth inclusion)

Post by another_commander »

It's a no to all from my side. Sorry.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

another_commander wrote:
It's a no to all from my side. Sorry.
Any explanations? What's the problem with Random Ship Names, for example? Better Screens? Display reputation? They are purely cosmetic...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

"No" to most of that list I can understand.. but not updating the bouy texture, to at least fit in better with the recent ship and station upgrades? Seems a bit strange, if you don't mind my saying..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

The best thing about Oolite is the ability to customise the Ooverse to personal tastes through the OXP/OXZ system. Introducing these into core would destroy this.
I would not like to see any of these introduced (even the ones I use) as I don't believe they are in any way core, and they are easy to implement through the OXP/OXZ system.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Zireael wrote:
Since at least one idea which has originated in an OXP (Equipment Aide's time to install display) has been integrated into core,
Bad example. To the best of my knowledge both the OXP and the core feature were based on my requesting the feature. Also they do completely different things - the OXP provides a look-up table, the player still has to make an estimation based on the price. The core feature shows the actual time to install for each item which in some cases might not be based on the price.

That aside I think you'll find a lot of people will have different ideas on what does or doesn't "affect the game"...

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Zireael wrote:
Any explanations? What's the problem with Random Ship Names, for example? Better Screens? Display reputation? They are purely cosmetic...
No problems at all. Whoever wants them, they can install them as OXPs. I don't want any of them in my installation / universe.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Diziet Sma wrote:
"No" to most of that list I can understand.. but not updating the bouy texture, to at least fit in better with the recent ship and station upgrades? Seems a bit strange, if you don't mind my saying..
Seconding the question about the buoy texture.

@a_c: Why shouldn't we improve Oolite instead of being stuck in the 1990s? (i.e. improving the game's looks and playability instead of slavishly adhering to the canon of Elite) Why don't you want Better Screens or Random Ship Names?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Zireael wrote:
@a_c: Why shouldn't we improve Oolite instead of being stuck in the 1990s? (i.e. improving the game's looks and playability instead of slavishly adhering to the canon of Elite) Why don't you want Better Screens or Random Ship Names?
Do I really have to explain everything Zireael? I just don't feel good with them in my game, is that good enough excuse?

And I am really sorry that you think we are not improving Oolite.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Venator Dha wrote:
The best thing about Oolite is the ability to customise the Ooverse to personal tastes through the OXP/OXZ system. Introducing these into core would destroy this.
I would not like to see any of these introduced (even the ones I use) as I don't believe they are in any way core, and they are easy to implement through the OXP/OXZ system.
I think this sums-up nicely the current thinking (well, not just current it has always been the case) and there is a truth here which cannot be avoided. It has always been the case that the core game is fairly basic, and that the improvements are available via OXP and are at the users discretion.
This is a tricky subject for me to discuss objectively for a couple of reasons. Many of the suggested inclusions are my OXPs. I am flattered that they are regarded so highly, and would be chuffed to bits if any of my work was ever included in the core game. But my view is that additions to core should be extremly rare and only made if they are deemed necessary rather than desirable. And having said that...
another_commander wrote:
Whoever wants them, they can install them as OXPs. I don't want any of them in my installation / universe.
I am on record as stating that I didn't want the ships upgrade but I got it anyway! even though the originals could always be replaced via OXP if anybody wanted something different.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

another_commander wrote:
Zireael wrote:
Do I really have to explain everything Zireael?
I guess not, topic closed, except for a final question: will the buoy be upgraded to match better-looking planets & ships & stations in 1.80?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Zireael wrote:
will the buoy be upgraded to match better-looking planets & ships & stations in 1.80?
Probably not for 1.80.x, as this would count as a new feature. I guess we could try to see what we can do about it for the next stable (1.82 if all goes well).
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

On the plus side, the new oxz system almost allows you to create your own 'core' to suit your personal tastes anyway (at the cost of a few extra minutes of download) in that you can chose such 'settings' within the game.

Besides, having things available as oxp rather than core makes them easier to tinker with :P
another_commander wrote:
And I am really sorry that you think we are not improving Oolite.
I think(/hope) we all appreciate the long hours of unpaid work that the likes of yourself have put into looking after and improving this game.

If that goes unspoken sometimes then I don't think that's a true reflection of our feeling.

Sincere thanks.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Redspear wrote:
Sincere thanks.
This ^

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Sincere thanks.
^^ This. If I sound a bit demanding, that's because I want Oolite to look and play the best it can!