Control System Damage

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Frantic
Competent
Competent

Control System Damage

Post by Frantic »

Just thinking about my harrowing escape from a graphically scrambled trip, and how much fun it was trying to fight with much of my control systems useless.

This would be a neat feature if you sustained severe damage. Visible signs of your ship being on the blink and in need of repair to an extent that the thing is becoming unflyable. Examples:

IFF failure on the scanner

Scanner only updates every few seconds

Sound for the benefit of the pilot stops working (only real sounds in the ship/cabin can be heard)

Attack/incoming missile alert goes off for no reason.

Speed gets stuck on maximum and docking computer refuses to engage :-)

Max speed reduced (possible to hide one engine trail or replace with smoke?)

Targetting recticule vanishes.

Dive/climb and/or left/right roll start to drift slightly (time to grab the mouse).

When fired, (all, or specific) lasers continue to fire until they overheat, preventing you from controlled firing.

Some form of general screen corruption.

Screen corruption linked to forward laser temperature :-)

Fuel leak.

Blind spot.

Countdown to main reactor breach, t minus 12 minutes and counting...

Some of these failures could be self correcting over time, as the systems recalibrate. Others would require servicing (mostly repairable at low tech systems unless it affects a higher tech piece of EQ).

This game is doing great, am pleased to see a project actually succeeding and staying alive. I should broaden my development skills away from business systems and try some games development so I can help out. What should I learn, and what tools will I need?
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

you like trouble, don't you?
Target lost
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Some good suggestions in there - some implemented already.

I think the next thing I should add is engine damage - restricting speed.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

have to say that sounds cool :)
edible poet? onna stick?
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Alluded to in "The Virtuous Misfortune" would be suffering temporary flashblinding if a missile detonates nearby in the view you are looking out of. (Perhaps a bit like in True Combat: Elite when you get a stun grenade go off close to you - the screen is whited out then the white fades back to what you should see - the duration of the white-out depends on how close the flashbang was when it went off).

Perhaps not just missiles - perhaps any large enough explosion that happens in your view and a bit too close.
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

winston wrote:
Alluded to in "The Virtuous Misfortune" would be suffering temporary flashblinding if a missile detonates nearby in the view you are looking out of. (Perhaps a bit like in True Combat: Elite when you get a stun grenade go off close to you - the screen is whited out then the white fades back to what you should see - the duration of the white-out depends on how close the flashbang was when it went off).

Perhaps not just missiles - perhaps any large enough explosion that happens in your view and a bit too close.
New EQ, "Pimp Cockpit Tinting"

Flashbang effect would be cool, that was always fun in TCE, shooting blind and occasionally surviving.