Medals and awards?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Medals and awards?

Post by Rogue7414 »

I was recently awarded in game the Bronze Medallion for defense of civilian lives and property, this got me to wondering, is it possible for a medal and awards page to be created so you can view them again after receiving them?
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Medals and awards?

Post by Fatleaf »

Rogue7414 wrote:
I was recently awarded in game the Bronze Medallion for defense of civilian lives and property, this got me to wondering, is it possible for a medal and awards page to be created so you can view them again after receiving them?
This is an OXP feature from Thargoid Wars.oxp. So it would be better to post a request in that thread.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It is possible to place text on the F5/F5 screen - I have done this for those who get a special award for visiting all the Pizzas in my Giant Space Pizza OXP.
This can be done by using 'mission.setInstructionsKey' in the relevant script, and having the Text (eg 'Commander Flash has been awarded a free Trumble for services to GalCop') in the missiontext.plist.

So in the script

Code: Select all

mission.setInstructionsKey ("trumbleAward");
and in missiontext.plist

Code: Select all

"trumbleAward" = "Commander [commander_name] has been awarded a free Trumble for services to GalCop.";
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Fatleaf wrote:
This is an OXP feature from Thargoid Wars.oxp. So it would be better to post a request in that thread.
While that's true, there are quite a few OXPs which award some sort of medal ... which never shows up in-game again. But if it did show up I wouldn't want four or five different interfaces to view medals from various OXP sources. Whether there should there be a general "Medals and Awards" OXP which other OXPs could use - or even a core game feature, if there was that much demand for it - seems a reasonable thing to discuss over here.
Smivs wrote:
It is possible to place text on the F5/F5 screen
F5 F5 starts to get tricky once you're awarding more than one medal from the same OXP and/or want to use its instruction key for actual instructions and/or want all your medal awards (the same could be said for reputations) from different OXPs grouped together.

So perhaps some enhancement to F5 F5's functionality is needed. Hmm... let me think about this one a bit.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

cim wrote:
Whether there should there be a general "Medals and Awards" OXP which other OXPs could use - or even a core game feature, if there was that much demand for it - seems a reasonable thing to discuss over here.
I am fine with this as an OXP feature, but I disagree about making medals a core feature. If Oolite were a space navy simulator like Wing Commander then fine, but medals is out of context for an Elite remake for me.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

another_commander wrote:
cim wrote:
Whether there should there be a general "Medals and Awards" OXP which other OXPs could use - or even a core game feature, if there was that much demand for it - seems a reasonable thing to discuss over here.
I am fine with this as an OXP feature, but I disagree about making medals a core feature. If Oolite were a space navy simulator like Wing Commander then fine, but medals is out of context for an Elite remake for me.
That's my take on it also - and I don't think there's enough specific demand for it from existing OXPs anyway - but I'm having vague ideas about letting OXPs categorise the instruction text entries so that it's not so much "parcels", "passengers" and "cargo contracts" set apart as special categories, with everything else - including some OXP-led parcel or passenger deliveries - piled under "misc", and if I can think of a sensible way to get that to work then OXPs filing entries under a common "medals" heading would be possible without the core game actually having to define that heading.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Awards and Medals OXP sounds fine.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

A "display medals and awards" function via the interface screen (F4) seems doable.

Of course there would be a common format needed how OXPs represent their awards (a mission variable beginning with award_ and containing a text string to be displayed would do). Then a script could extract all these text strings from the save file and put them on a screen, reachable via F4.

On second thoughts, that's not a good implementation. A clearly named mission variable containing an array of text strings would be better. Each OXP that wants to store an award can simply push its text string into the array.
Orion
Poor
Poor

Post by Orion »

I would like to see "Medals&Awards" OXP too with pictures! I don't know how it's possible to realise and it would be great to have a model...to add some unique awards for example...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Orion. Kinda fitting that your name should appear immediately below Commander McLane's avatar - Spaceship Orion.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome Orion in this board!

There are a few OXP where you can gather something:
[wiki]Display_reputation_OXP[/wiki] - your level of trading special contracts,
Explorers'_Club_OXP - visited systems and famous parts of galaxies,
[wiki]Gallery[/wiki] - encountered ships and exhibitions,
[wiki]Trophy_Collector[/wiki] - defeated ships.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Orion, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Orion
Poor
Poor

Post by Orion »

Thank you, dear Commanders, for a warm welcome!
Norby, yes, I know about these excellent OXP, thank you :) Now I'm using "Display reputation" & "Explorer's Club" but I plan to add "Trophy Collector" & "Gallery" in next campaigns. And I know another else wonderful OXP with ranks: RRS Group

Cody,
it's curiously enough :)