Battle chatter?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Battle chatter?

Post by Rogue7414 »

After reading the things to do in the spacelanes when you're mass locked thread, and part of the topic of conversation was hearing random chatter between ships, I had a thought. Probably not an original one again but nothing ventured nothing gained, so here goes.

When you're doing a reserve mission for the Navy some of your fellow reservists will often call out for help, tell you they've got a bad guy on their tale, that sort of thing. These messages are done for me by the ships onboard voice and I know there's a few OXP's out there that can change the ships onboard voice but what I was wondering was, could we use real voice recordings for these combat messages?

For example, we could have a mix of different people saying the same thing, such as "I'm taking fire!" Both in male and female voices.

Is this possible? Is this something that has already been suggested and tried and found not to be much cop?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Battle chatter?

Post by Diziet Sma »

Excellent idea! Except that I'd like to see it extended to any combat where more than two ships are involved. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

And even have a different set of voice messages for the different roles I.e. pirate, trader etc.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Post by Rogue7414 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Excellent idea! Except that I'd like to see it extended to any combat where more than two ships are involved. 8)

:shock: :shock: Hell's teeth, you're telling me this is an original idea and one of my own!!

I didn't expand further as I thought there would have been a good chance that this may have already been done/suggested.

If this is doable, and I must emphasize the IF here as I've no idea what it will take for something like this to come about and be made into an OXP, I have one thought and I think it's a decent one. Members of the forum, especially the senior ones should be the voice talents for the messages. Looking at the boards we should have a rich talent of voice sets to choose from as well as accents from different regions and countries.

One thing that may present a small problem is the female voice element, do we have enough active female members to contribute or are we looking to draft in our suffering other half's? :?
Last edited by Rogue7414 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

This is an excellent idea.

One if the things that I loved about playing Lunar Flight recently was the background radio chatter. Added loads to the immersion.

I'm sure if we ask nicely, some of our other halves wouldn't mind contributing some dialogue. Firstly though I think we need to come up with a script of some description for various scenarios.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Me this thing like, too. :mrgreen: We probably could get some voices with heavy accents from all over the world... 8) Or even different languages - but accents would probably more in tone with the fictional Ooniverse. :wink:
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent

Post by Rogue7414 »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
Me this thing like, too. :mrgreen: We probably could get some voices with heavy accents from all over the world... 8) Or even different languages - but accents would probably more in tone with the fictional Ooniverse. :wink:
I think most people default back to their native tongue when they swear, which can be quite entertaining and colourful in certain circumstances. :lol:

On a serious note, if this can be done, which I am really hoping it can be now, who would be up for putting their vocal talents forward?

I'm game, well can't very well suggest it and then get everyone else to do it can I!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Rogue7414 wrote:
One thing that may present a small problem is the female voice element, do we have enough active female members to contribute or are we looking to draft in our suffering other half's? :?
We might be able to sweet-talk Geraldine into helping.. and whatever happened to Becca the Hermit-Slayer?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

I'm up for supplying a voice. Gonna try and pursuade a few family members.

Also I think it would be great if we try and take as many characters from the various fiction and give them a voice. Rebecca, Hersperus, Coyote, Vellisa to name just a few.

!m!
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

This would lead to a famous characters OXP.

!m!
Thermonuklear
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Thermonuklear »

I could supply my clunky Fingrish rally driver accent, something like this :D
Also, I know some people from a local amateur theatre who might help...
[ELITE: Station Run]
Selezen's excellent boardgame needs playtesters!
---
My youtube channel: Oolite, old games and underground metal music!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

V'yy tynqyl yraq zl Havirefny Genafyngbe :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent

Post by Rogue7414 »

Smivs wrote:
Say what now? :? :?
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Rogue7414 wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Say what now? :? :?
Ur'f hfvat Ebg13, n fvzcyl pelcgbtencul zrgubq... :twisted: :wink: *

*look here
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent

Post by Rogue7414 »

Nuu V frr fnvq gur oyvaq, fhqqrayl nyy orpbzr pyrne. :mrgreen: