Suggestion: Aquaspace aka H2Oolite

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Suggestion: Aquaspace aka H2Oolite

Post by pagroove »

Sometimes you have an idea in your head and you just have to trow it out.

I can remember in the days of the BBC you've had some Aquatic games that where just like an underwater Oolite:
(never played it though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ovqPMajr9A

That brings me into the idea to make an OXP that introduces a new space that only aquatic space ships (like the Moray) can jump to.

In Aquaspace you could have a transfer station (the station you end up when you jump from normal space to aqua space)
Different planets could have different Aquaspaces. The Moray could have a piece of equipment that let you scan a planet for it.

In Aquaspace you can then encounter whole new ships (submarines etc).
This is just an idea for a sort of total conversion.

My ideas about some possible content:
:

- Auqatic stations (trade posts)
- New resource collection (fishing, plankton hunting, undersea rock mining)
- Bubbles as eshaust plumes
- New ships and submarines with the ability to store your Moray
- Space would be colored (green or blue like or even pink (pink oceans))
- the galactic chart would display ocean sectors on long range/ short range
- The Aqua galaxy could have 250 stations (systems). These are systems where there are no planets.
- These systems could have different pressure levels that you could see in the chart. You have to buy appropriate shielding to enter such a system
- Trading could be the same but also some special aquatic goods could be created
- You could build a whole underwater carrier
- Aquaspace would be generated again and again when you jump out to normal space and back (basically this could work a bit like creating a new galaxy seed)

Maybe it's a stupid idea but like I said. I throw it out anyway so people can do whatever they like with it. :)
Last edited by pagroove on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Suggestion: Aquaspace

Post by Pleb »

Oolite underwater? I like the sound of it, it would add new areas to explore and possibilities for new mission types possibly. I know its definetely possible to have more than the 8 galaxies that come with Oolite/Elite (shameless promotion :D ), and you can make that equipment dependable which I have also tested and I assume you could also make it ship dependable but I haven't tested that - but whether you could have it so that while you were in that galaxy or galaxies the space was a different colour and whether or not you can make jumping to specific systems equipment dependable I'm not sure but I don't see why not. I think its certainly an interesting idea to explore! :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

>Fatleaf gently puts the idea down and slowly starts to back away!!!< :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I just want a pint of whatever the Groove's been drinking ;)

It's an interesting idea, but would be more a whole game reskin (including the environment) I think, and it'd probably no longer be Oolite/Elite.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Thargoid wrote:
a whole game reskin (including the environment) I think, and it'd probably no longer be Oolite/Elite.
Blueness outside instead of blackness?

Sounds like Frontier. :wink:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Along those lines yes. And probably with fish (and if you're mischievous the occasional toaster) flying past...
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

That's a great idea. The moray would be then good for smuggling and trading with water planets. One could do like the asteroids game and when the player with the moray gets to the point of a landing he is teleported way out somewhere and everything is set up for the underwater adventure. 8)

Is it still Elite/Oolite? There was a Moray Star Boat for water worlds with floodlock cabins good for 5500 fathoms and the missile tubes doubled as torpedo tubes. So, I'd say so. :wink:

One thing that would also be wanted is to fly around in an atmosphere in a better way than offered now and land as well. Perhaps these 2 things are flipsides of the same coin for how to accomplish them. :idea:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

I think its a great idea pagroove. :) And your right, Morays can swim according to the original Elite docs. Underwater Elite could be great. If you guys create a total conversion, I would play it as I love sub sims, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl3ETNbr7eA
Last edited by Geraldine on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

H
|
O lite
|
H

:)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Geraldine wrote:
If you guys create a total conversion, I would play it as I love sub sims
and there are NO submarine sims for Linux. :shock:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Thargoid wrote:
I just want a pint of whatever the Groove's been drinking ;)

It's an interesting idea, but would be more a whole game reskin (including the environment) I think, and it'd probably no longer be Oolite/Elite.
Just coffee :)

Well read about the Moray Starboat. And I imagine that some ships of your Aquatics.oxp (Baracuda etc) would be also be likely candidates.
Maybe use Aqualina as testing ground by setting up planetfall in combination with a new sort of space?

And yes fishing would be a valid activity :)
See the video of Deep (the german handheld game of Fishlabs) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6utIuT5gJE
the fishing is done by aiming a sort of tractor beam at the fish.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Actually, Mauiby de Squirrel suggested this possibility about a year ago, although he orphaned it with something like, "It's not something I'd actually play, I'm just sayin'," or words to that effect.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wildeblood wrote:
Actually, Mauiby de Squirrel suggested this possibility about a year ago, although he orphaned it with something like, "It's not something I'd actually play, I'm just sayin'," or words to that effect.

Well like I said. Just placing the idea in the open space for oxp's to do what they like with it (or not) :wink:
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

If I remember correctly, this idea was used in Star Trek Voyager.
They end up in aquatic space, can't remember how it happens or which episode, but it has been done.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

maaarcooose wrote:
If I remember correctly, this idea was used in Star Trek Voyager.
They end up in aquatic space, can't remember how it happens or which episode, but it has been done.

!m!
It was Fluidic Space, when they encounted Species 8472 (god I'm such a geek!). But in Star Trek Enterprise they had an Xindi Aquatic ship that was really cool, had water inside the the ship and the aliens swam around in it.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4