Help with docking

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Help with docking

Post by Disembodied »

There have been a couple of OXPs made which aim to offer new players the functionality of a docking computer without having to buy one – in large part because docking is, and always has been, a barrier to new players enjoying the game. However, there might be an option which assists new players, not by allowing them to skip docking, but to learn how to do it right. It might also add a bit to the game's atmosphere. I suggest this, of course, without having the requisite skills or inclination to code it myself ... ;)

Would it be possible to create an OXP which:

1. slows the rotation of all the main stations. This not only makes docking easier, it makes the stations seem larger and more impressive. Personally, I'd suggest this as a change to the core game, but that's not up to me!
2. runs a corridor of flashers from the dock to the station buoy, to give new pilots something to line up on and follow (this could be restricted to stations in systems above a certain tech level, to provide a bit more system-by-system variation). The flashers could also change from green to red if an NPC ship was about to launch.

Worth considering?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Help with docking

Post by Thargoid »

Both would be quite easy - indeed I think the first one already exists somewhere?

I'll write the second one when I get chance this week. The flasher colour bit would be slightly more tricky, but do-able with a second entity.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Thargoid wrote:
Both would be quite easy - indeed I think the first one already exists somewhere?
You're right – it's the [wiki]Delightful Docking[/wiki] OXP. I had thought there was something out there but was looking under the "Mechanics" section, but it does make more sense to file it under "Ambience"!
Thargoid wrote:
I'll write the second one when I get chance this week. The flasher colour bit would be slightly more tricky, but do-able with a second entity.
:D 8)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The second one also already exists for Buoy Repair stations.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

And the ELS system in the original version of dertien's system stations, and in cim's RRS stations.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And now in [EliteWiki] Docklights OXP too. Including the switch to red on launching.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

You can say what you like about these alien flesh-eating bug invaders from beyond, but you can't fault them for service! :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
And now in [EliteWiki] Docklights OXP too. Including the switch to red on launching.
After seeing them at the GRS station, I always thought it would be cool if main stations had them too.. think I'll install this for the sheer coolness factor, even though I don't need them! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Diziet Sma wrote:
After seeing them at the GRS station, I always thought it would be cool if main stations had them too.. think I'll install this for the sheer coolness factor, even though I don't need them! 8)
Me too. And just to prove that the read-me sometimes is, there's a reference there to a dependency on the big ships oxp, which I guess is a c&p leftover.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes, umm, oops :oops: It was a test to see if you were awake (or at least more awake than me) ;)

Thanks for the heads-up - fixed now.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Disembodied wrote:
Would it be possible to create an OXP which:

1. slows the rotation of all the main stations. This not only makes docking easier, it makes the stations seem larger and more impressive. Personally, I'd suggest this as a change to the core game, but that's not up to me!
[EliteWiki] Smiv's Delightful Docking OXP.