For new pilots - pay per auto dock

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

For new pilots - pay per auto dock

Post by Bugbear »

Just a quick suggestion before I turn in for the night...

I saw this on the iPhone version of Elite. It's an experience to have to get used to manually docking again with unfamiliar controls...just like a new Oolite pilot.

It was a nice touch that I could engage the docking computer even though I hadn't actually bought it yet - I think the fee was something like 5cr per use.

This would make life much easier for all the Jamesons out there, and make the docking learning curve a little less steep...

Ok, time to sleep...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: For new pilots - pay per auto dock

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Cost 50cr from Elite A. :)

Edit: ArcElite actually. :roll: I get these mixed up sometimes. :P
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Not easy to implement. If you have no docking computer installed, hitting C or SHIFT-C won't do anything.

You could use a primeable equipment instead, but what's the difference between buying a primeable equipment and buying a proper docking computer? Using the primeable equipment would temporarily award a docking computer, so you'd be able to press C once (and pay a fee). Immediately after docking the temporarily awarded docking computer would be removed, until you use the primeable equipment again.

That sounds all a little awkward, and it would most probably be.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

If the EquipmentInfo key isVisible was read/write a script could make the Docking Computer non visible equipment, award it on the fly when entering the main station Aegis, and remove it again after docking. If it's purchased normally the script would make it a visible equipment item again, and ignore the code that does the above.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Sounds simple to me, I think McLane and Murphy are both over-complicating it. I know how I would implement it in an OXP if I thought it were a good idea, but is there any call for it?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Given someone asked for it, and it was in an earlier version of Elite - apparently yes. Albeit not a call from you.

But it could be done with a temporarily awarded docking computer that is removed on docking or leaving the aegis (and by that restricting it to the main station, although something could be coded to monitor distance from another station). The only question would be how to elegantly handle the discussion for offer and acceptance of it.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Good start.

2 problems - I would still override the core docking computer equipment.plist entry to make the docking computer invisible, and make the certificate 'look' like you are buying the normal docking computer.

Secondly the handler this.playerStartedAutoPilot doesn't fire for instant dock so you don't get charged. Not sure of the top of my head how to get around that with the simple approach.
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
I would still override the core docking computer equipment.plist entry to make the docking computer invisible, and make the certificate 'look' like you are buying the normal docking computer.
Why? That's the sort of over-complication that isn't needed, because it would raise more questions than it answers. If the new Jameson apparently doesn't have a docking computer, how is he performing pay-per-use automatic docking? If he does have one, why would he purchase "another"?
Capt. Murphy wrote:
Secondly the handler this.playerStartedAutoPilot doesn't fire for instant dock so you don't get charged. Not sure off the top of my head how to get around that with the simple approach.
I think I know how to do it, but given that it's a one player game, and you're only "cheating" yourself, I'm in two minds whether to add more unnecessary script, or document that cheat behaviour as a feature. I've always thought of instant dock as just another cheat button, myself.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Wildeblood wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:
I would still override the core docking computer equipment.plist entry to make the docking computer invisible, and make the certificate 'look' like you are buying the normal docking computer.
Why? That's the sort of over-complication that isn't needed, because it would raise more questions than it answers. If the new Jameson apparently doesn't have a docking computer, how is he performing pay-per-use automatic docking? If he does have one, why would he purchase "another"?
That's the behaviour from the versions of Elite that had the feature that is trying to be emulated. You could use the docking computer key without a docking computer fitted for a small fee. The hand-wavium was that the station's in house docking computer was taking remote control of your ship. IIRC it's availability was tech level limited as-well.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
You could use the docking computer key without a docking computer fitted for a small fee. The hand-wavium was that the station's in house docking computer was taking remote control of your ship. IIRC it's availability was tech level limited as-well.
To be blunt, I like my hand-wavium better, to wit:-
Docking Computers OXP ver. 1.0
Date: June 2nd, 2012
Author: Wildeblood

After a request by Bugbear. https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12004

Installation and use:

Place the Docking Computers OXP into your "AddOns" folder. This OXP alters the game mechanics so that, when starting a new game, commanders can use the docking computer function immediately. However, each time they do so they will be charged a docking fee of 50 credits for contacting a station with an uncertified docking computer.

Needless to say, commanders who don't have 50 credits will need to perform manual docking.

To avoid docking fees, head to a planet of technical level 10 or above where, for a one-time fee of 1500 credits, you can have GalCop-trained engineers examine your Docking Computers and certify that they meet GalCop Standard GS40034 - Behaviour of Docking Computer AIs. After certification, you will never have to pay docking fees again.

TO-DO:

Add code to prevent, or document, instant dock cheat.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CSOTB has released an OXP for this too.. :)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Autodockv0.2 is now available for download. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs