Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Charging lasers OXP?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Charging lasers OXP?

Post by maaarcooose »

Had an idea for an OXP but wondered if it had been done before.

Was thinking about having lasers that work in the style of many old shoot em ups where you fire a single blast with a single pull of the trigger (this has been discussed before as kind of semi auto lasers) but also be able to hold down the trigger to charge the laser up. Releasing the trigger then releases the charge in a one shot super charge.

The energy usage would remain the same.

Anyone done anything like this before?

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Charging lasers OXP?

Post by Thargoid »

Laser functionality can't be changed by OXP.
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

Ah well.

It was a nice idea.

!m!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thargoid wrote:
Laser functionality can't be changed by OXP.
However I would like my oxp to be changed by the laser. Specifically, I would like to be able to read the JS of laser teperature so I can make custom gauges for HUDs that show the laser temperature. It's going to be really awkward to spend all the time and effort to make a hud with custom gauges that match and still be stuck with a stock bar gauge to show laser temperature. And when I start using images for gauges they really are going to be a mismatch to the stock laser temperature bar gauge.

Please help me devs...
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

maaarcooose wrote:
Was thinking about having lasers that work in the style of many old shoot em ups where you fire a single blast with a single pull of the trigger (this has been discussed before as kind of semi auto lasers) but also be able to hold down the trigger to charge the laser up. Releasing the trigger then releases the charge in a one shot super charge.
As Thargoid already said, laser functionality can't be changed by OXP.

However, holding the trigger down while staying on target fires a whole salvo, which—if all shots hit—has practically the same effect as a one shot super charge.
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

Commander McLane wrote:
maaarcooose wrote:
As Thargoid already said, laser functionality can't be changed by OXP.

However, holding the trigger down while staying on target fires a whole salvo, which—if all shots hit—has practically the same effect as a one shot super charge.
Indeed it does but that's not the point really.

Just think of R-type in terms of functionality.
I presume you could make an OXP that had a different weapon like the rail gun with this kind of functionality.

Also I suppose you could do a custom missile type that is effectively supper fast but has no guidance system. Practically imposibe to ECM but you've got to aim it.

!m!
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Heh - R Type! Great game and cool idea, shame it can't be employed usefully here.
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
However I would like my oxp to be changed by the laser. Specifically, I would like to be able to read the JS of laser teperature so I can make custom gauges for HUDs that show the laser temperature. It's going to be really awkward to spend all the time and effort to make a hud with custom gauges that match and still be stuck with a stock bar gauge to show laser temperature. And when I start using images for gauges they really are going to be a mismatch to the stock laser temperature bar gauge.

Please help me devs...
You got it. Check SVN r4891.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

another_commander wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:

Please help me devs...
You got it. Check SVN r4891.
:shock: :lol: :D

http://youtu.be/VoW9czgQBqE
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Allright, I got my trunk build working and I want to test the JS for the player's laser temperature. What is name of this variable or property? Is there a particular place one looks for this kind of information? Is it supposed to be listed in the build or on a separate link somewhere? Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to trunk builds. I looked but couldn't seem to find a list. :roll:

WIKI+OXPs
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Allright, I got my trunk build working and I want to test the JS for the player's laser temperature. What is name of this variable or property? Is there a particular place one looks for this kind of information?
Try 'laserHeatLevel' , this is from the commit message.

Code: Select all

#svn log -v -r 4891
r4891 | another_cmdr | 2012-04-29 04:04:27 +1000 (Sun, 29 Apr 2012) | 1 line
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/src/Core/Scripting/OOJSPlayerShip.m

Added JS PlayerShip read-only property laserHeatLevel.
Perhaps it could be in Wiki also.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Is there a particular place one looks for this kind of information? Is it supposed to be listed in the build or on a separate link somewhere? Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to trunk builds. I looked but couldn't seem to find a list. :roll:
Apart from the SVN commit messages ( web SVN interface link is http://svn.berlios.de/viewvc/oolite-linux/ ), the source code itself is where you can look for any of the JS methods. You need an editor with a Search In Files capability, which I'm confident you already have - Notepad++ does it just fine and you need to look into the src/Core/Scripting folder of the code. All the scripting classes are there and you can start by checking out the OOJSPlayerShip.m file, which contains all the methods and properties of the JSPlayerShip class.

Hope this helps. Just give a shout if it doesn't.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

It's on the wiki as-well (I think cim is keeping the wiki up to date).

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... rHeatLevel

CSTOB - the SVN log is a place to check often if you want to keep an eye on the what those crafty devs are up to.... :wink: :) (or just want to understand a little more of what is going on under the hood).
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thanks submersible, another_commander and Capt. Murphy. Those are exactly what I need. :D

WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

@maaarcooose: I'm going to investigate the possibility of the R-Type charging up a laser concept as I've had some recent ideas and inspiration. Great idea by the way. :D

WIKI+OXPs