[WIP] CargoScanner.OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[WIP] CargoScanner.OXP

Post by Okti »

Hi All,

This is small OXP to scan targeted cargo containers and find out what it contains. It is a work in progress OXP, while I wrote trying to understand if I can find out what a cargo container contains. This equipment is available in TL 10+ systems. And once bought, can be removed in any system for 60% of the price and a small service fee.

The OXP can be downloaded from here

Enjoy.

PS Thanks for all the work you have done to add my OXP's to the wiki OXP list Maik. Sorry to cause you more work :shock:
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: [WIP] CargoScanner.OXP

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I hope it's not going to be perfect. I'd quite like slaves to occasionally be ID as food and the like - but I am curious other than to prove you can, what would be the background for such a device to exist? Can it somehow decode the encrypted manifest chip stored on each cargo pod?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I expect it's some sort of sensor. I mean in Star Trek they can detect a single life-form on a planet, so scanning the contents of a pod in Oolite shouldn't be that hard.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Also even todays technology has spectrum scans, so you never know what they developed in that time. :D
My OXP's
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Okti wrote:
PS Thanks for all the work you have done to add my OXP's to the wiki OXP list Maik. Sorry to cause you more work :shock:
:D
Adding new OXPs is the kind of work I like best, thanks for your effort!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I hope it's not going to be perfect. I'd quite like slaves to occasionally be ID as food and the like -
You know, that could be quite 'entertaining' if the market systems on the F8 screen got it wrong very occasionly… you hit the buy button on 35t of furs, launch, and find it’s actually 35t of narcotics that you’ve bought, and you are now a fugitive with Vipers on your tail.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

"Honest Guv, it's food. They eat Arzequarian Megaweed on Tianve"
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I think even in The Dark Wheel - there's a reference to Tobacco being legal in human colonial systems but illegal (deadly) elsewhere and therefore an illegal drug throughout Galcop.
Selezen wrote:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

But by that token, most things would be illegal. Aspirin is toxic to Feline species for example.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Okti wrote:
Also even todays technology has spectrum scans, so you never know what they developed in that time. :D
As somebody who used to work on multi-spectral sensor arrays I'd like to point out that such a sensor relies on two things - an ability to penetrate the thing you're trying to measure/scan/detect - that thing must generate a return that can be measured. (or if it's passive detect the effect it has on things passing through the object). Therefore I'd suggest a simple scanner capable of reading the pods embedded manifest would be easiest to explain away...

@Smivs - yup - which is why Moray medical ships need special permission to carry any kind of "medical" supplies because it's all Narcotics to something...
Selezen wrote:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In any case, not all cargo pods in-game can be scanned this way anyway. Especially with scripted OXP ones, in some cases what's in them only gets decided at the point where you scoop them (ie when the this.shipScooped event fires).

For example this OXP won't work on some of the cargo in Pods.oxp, as their contents are not foreknown.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Thargoid wrote:
In any case, not all cargo pods in-game can be scanned this way anyway. Especially with scripted OXP ones, in some cases what's in them only gets decided at the point where you scoop them (ie when the this.shipScooped event fires).

For example this OXP won't work on some of the cargo in Pods.oxp, as their contents are not foreknown.
That is right Thargoid, I only scan for a display name "Cargo container", so most of the ones spawned from other OXP's will not be scanned.

Also I will add a mechanism to disable the equipment in the next version which I have created the mechanism for OresratiChallenge to allow other OXP's to suspend the functionalty. But since it is an equipment removing the equipment will be fine enough.
My OXP's
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Okti wrote:
As somebody who used to work on multi-spectral sensor arrays I'd like to point out that such a sensor relies on two things - an ability to penetrate the thing you're trying to measure/scan/detect - that thing must generate a return that can be measured. (or if it's passive detect the effect it has on things passing through the object). Therefore I'd suggest a simple scanner capable of reading the pods embedded manifest would be easiest to explain away...

@Smivs - yup - which is why Moray medical ships need special permission to carry any kind of "medical" supplies because it's all Narcotics to something...
Galcop already has this technology to scan if you are carrying illegal items :evil:
My OXP's
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Okti wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Okti wrote:

Galcop already has this technology to scan if you are carrying illegal items :evil:
No they don't - you can carry in and sell illegal substances at a Galcop station with impunity, but they find it very easy to check your manifest as you depart and alter your status accordingly. (A shoplifter isn't a shoplifter until they leave the shop with the goods unpaid for, even if you've seen them stuff the item into their underwear - you're not committing an offence with Galcop until you leave the station carrying the illegal cargo...)
Selezen wrote:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Okti wrote:
Galcop already has this technology to scan if you are carrying illegal items
Not necessarily... that's probably just the station market systems feeding them the info.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!