(NEW RELEASE)(UPDATE)ShieldEqualizer+Capacitorv1.3.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

(NEW RELEASE)(UPDATE)ShieldEqualizer+Capacitorv1.3.oxp

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

EDIT:UPDATE Available July 03,2011.

ShieldEqualizer+Capacitorv1.3.oxp is now available.

Download here:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Shield ... citors_OXP

Changes:

-bugfix for UK_Eliter's problem.
-added toggles to allow player to turn off the sounds and messages.(requested feature)
-removed the missionVariables as they are not really needed.

Now if you don't like the sounds or messages simply go into the script and in the startUp function there are toggle variables. Set what you don't like to "OFF". The default is "ON". This feature will also now allow hud developers to remotely switch off these variables for the purpose of having a hud gauge instead.

END OF UPDATE-----------------------------------------------------------------

COMPATIBILITY UPDATE: Shield Equalizer + Capacitorsv1.2.oxp
Available may 17,2011.
Now compatible with Shield Cycler 0.20BETA(equipment.plist was changed so made this compatible).
Uses all same download links.

UPDATE: Shield Equalizer + Capacitorsv1.1.oxp(bugfix)
Available may 15, 2011.
Download links changed to this version.

NEW EDIT: As of may 14, 2011 I have released the wiki version of ShieldEqualizer+Capacitorv1.0.oxp. All download links have been changed to this version. Wiki page when I have the time. Enjoy this upgrade. :D

(Edit):AS OF MAY 8,2011 A BUGFIX WAS MADE. USE THE SAME DOWNLOAD LINKS. :)

(Edit):AS OF MAY 5,2011 BOTH DOWNLOAD LINKS IN THIS THREAD ARE WORKING. MEDIAFIRE'S SITE IS A LITTLE CONFUSING. JUST SCROLL AROUND AND YOU WILL FIND THE RIGHT DOWNLOAD ICON. WATCH OUT FOR ADVERTISING/MISCELLANEOUS ICONS. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. :roll: CommonSenseOTB :wink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beginning of original post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there!

This is my first post to the wiki and I would like to offer an oxp for download as I've finished playtesting it in my game for 2 months...however I have a slight problem. I just browsed this wiki and saw a nearly identical oxp just posted by Lone Wolf-shield cycler.
I'm shocked and amazed!
What should I do? I mean...it's obviously firstcome firstserved but I really just wanted to give back something to the oolite forum for providing me with the game I alwaays wanted.
Please help me out here...should I talk to Lone Wolf or someone else or just forget about it instead? :?:

CommonSenseOTB
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: (NEW RELEASE) Shield Equalizer and Capacitor OXP

Post by Cody »

Hi CSOTB and welcome... release your OXP, and damn the torpedoes!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

My oxp is still a WIP, and is now taking a direction ( 3 devices, energy transfer loss based on amount of energy transferred) i didn't expect at first.

Release your oxp, and if the 2 oxps are very close in concept / working we can talk about combining them later.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi CommonSenseOTB, and welcome.
I'd do as EV suggests and just release it anyway. Unless the two are identical there is probably room for both and as everybody wants something a bit different, I'm sure you'll find plenty of takers.
Good way to join the 'crew', that, with a new OXP. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Hello all. It's good to here positive from the veterans. thanx wolf we'll work something out. I'm waiting for box.net to give me my email so I can load the zip and post a link for a download.

On another note I have an equipment Hud package with 8 custom HUDS to post but the polish isn't quite dry and one step at a time! :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I'm back! IT LIVESSS!!!!! HAHAHAH! :lol:

Well, if box.net doesn't work for me AND if google docs doesn't work then I'll give you all a mediafire link.

THIS LINK WORKS!

Have fun with this. This is such a simple little code that I haven't had any problems. Activation of the equipment is completely automatic and foolproof. No distraction in combat. K.I.S.S(Keep it simple stupid)APPROVED!!! :P
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
Cody

Post by Cody »

I don't think that link is working... I click on the d/l option, but nothing comes through.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

mmmm, worked for me. :?

Edit:- Just had a quick look - very impressive. One recommendation though is to release this under an appropriate licence. Have a look at the thread here as it's full of good advice, and plenty of warnings about the potential problems of not releasing an OXP with a relevant licence.
Last edited by Smivs on Wed May 04, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

And at the fourth attempt, it just worked for me.
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

I've taken a quick look at the code and the conceptual differences between our oxps are bigger then it may look at the surface.

You store aft / forward shield energy that is not needed to recharge and apply it when that side of the shield is hit.
I use existing shield energy , and transfer that to the side where the pilot feels it is needed most.
In essence you add an extra layer of protection, while i change the way the existing protection is used.

Another difference is that your device (looking at prices) appears to be aimed at improving iron ass ships, whereas mine is intended to be useful for all ships / pilots , including new jamesons.

2 comments :

- timers are often slow to respond, i suggest you look into using the shipTakingDamage event handler .

- built-in + shield booster + Mil shields gives a shield strength of 384 per side.
storing 64 energy means you can replenish 1/6 of total shield strength, that seems a bit low for the cost of the equalizer + capacitor.
Maybe add a 2nd capacitor version with more storage capability ?

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

One little bit of advice I would give if you have two pieces of similar equipment is check if they will be compatible and play together nicely or not (I guess LW will have to do that if his OXP is in WIP still). If not then make the two incompatible via their equipment.plist set-ups, to save any "interesting" interplays if both OXPs are installed.

Or indeed as noted it may be that one can build off the other, but in this case I think the two would more likely clash than be friends.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Hey Lone Wolf, thanx for having a looksee at my project.

Here is exactly what my oxp does:

The shield equalizer works independantly of the shield capacitor(s)(both forward and aft are available)and there are no dependancies between the 3.

The equalizer transfers shield energy from the stronger shield to the weaker shield. The speed of this transfer is deliberately slower with a more analogue feel to simulate a control system that is working to prevent problems that may occur when energy is transferred too quickly.

The shield capacitors store shield energy when the shield the capacitor is connected to is fully charged. When the shield drops below the level of energy in the capacitor it discharges directly into the shield. Because there is a direct connection between them this discharge can be both rapid and safe and that is why it is simulated as such.

The scripting however is done totally with a timer because one is needed to charge the capacitors and it fits with a slower reactionary type of system in the equalizer that I was trying for.

In my view I felt that losses or inefficiancy that you are trying to simulate are counterproductive. First, because one wouldn't install a device that actually causes him to lose some of that shielding or energy in the process of equalizing. Second, inefficiancy means HEAT, LOTS OF IT, would be generated, perhaps enough to endanger or destroy the ship.

Price, I deliberately set high and capacitor storage limit low. In testing I found that the combination of the 3 was just short of unbalancing gameplay too far towards the player.

Another thing I found was that new player strategy evolved. Charge everything up for when hell breaks loose but still be able to stick in a dogfight longer because shields are balanced automatically. HEAD ON ATTACKS ARE COOL NOW!!! There are still minuses to the system(on purpose) but it's good enough to let you tackle what used to be lopsided/hopeless battles...just. If I had twice as much capacitor storage I could just park the ship for awhile as the cops shoot me and hardly make a dent. Seriously, it's a fine balance.

I would be cautious about underpricing this technology as I find one still needs a shield booster to have enough shields to transfer anyway. A jameson might get himself in trouble otherwise.
In fact I had my teenage niece evaluate the equipment and she thought the price I had was too low for what it does. She convinced me and I have game balance.

But by far the best thing I did with this particular equipment was to keep it simple and automatic. Nothing kills you quicker in combat than distraction. I was tempted to use the equipment activation button but I think that down the road it will be way too crowded on the menu so perhaps anything that doesn't need to be manually activated shouldn't be.I even had a crude super version that would bias the shield in the targets direction but I found it would routinely leave one side vulnerable to stray shots.

Lone Wolf, Thargoid...I will test out if both sets of equipment will coexist. I suspect yes, and almost certain my capacitors would work with your shield cycler.

Smivs...thanx for the licence heads up. I tried to put a full copy into my oxp but it wouldn't zip for some reason. If you have a solution let me know. otherwise I'll put in a few extra sentences in the readme. There is a blurb at the top of my javascript but perhaps it's not enough.

Any comments just post here please. RL is distracting but I'll get back when I can. :!:

CommonSenseOutsideTheBox :wink:

WIKI+OXPs
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

re the licence, generally an extra paragraph in the readme suffices.
For example:-
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0
Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-
nc-sa/3.0/'' or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San
Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thank you Smivs, just what I needed!

Update...License on the readme's and warning not to use this oxp with Lone Wolf's Shield Cycler as Strange shield behaviour will happen and the download link works properly...

OXP is ready to go now.
Leave any further comments on this thread...

Have fun!

CommonSenseOutsideTheBox
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WIKI+OXPs
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

I've made some changes in the code / concept after seeing your remarks ( v 0.13, not ready for download yet).
the main one i think is that shields now don't loose energy on cycling / equalizing, instead ship energy is reduced based on the quality of the device and the amount of energy transfered.
In my view this energy is needed because when transferring shield energy , some of the shield energy 'evaporates' (i know , wrong term) into space. That also seems to take care of any heat problems.

I've looked deeper into your code, and feel that the capacitors will work fine with my ShieldCycler .
I'll change the equipment list to conflict with your equalizer, as having 2 devices that try to maintain a certain configuration is asking for problems.

I do share the feeling that shift-N / N will be overused a lot in the future, but decided to use it because it seems to be the only way to allow user input for oxps.
Xwing is still 1 of my alltime favorite games, and it's user controlled shield cycling / power configuration options are among the things that brought it there. For me ShieldCycler brings oolite a bit closer to Xwing.

As for making things to easy : ever tried Random Hits medium diff missions ?
In those missions you have 3 -5 opponents, with mil lasers, rear lasers, mil shields.
Especially if there are also normal pirates around, you die very fast.