Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Show and Tell (new ships/ ships in progress)

Post by Gimi »

With so many excellent ship designers coming on-line lately, I'm going to bold (if not right out rude when suggesting others do the work) and suggest that a team is formed who can update and modernise the ships in some of the older flavour OXP's. Dr Nil's Commies comes to mind, and he for one has given permission to do so here. Would be great to se Art Deco style space stations and Ships. (The Chronicle's Of Riddick comes to mind). Good or bad idea?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Nice ship. Looks like it would be quite a hauler. What role do you envision for it?
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Gimi wrote:
With so many excellent ship designers coming on-line lately, I'm going to bold (if not right out rude when suggesting others do the work) and suggest that a team is formed who can update and modernise the ships in some of the older flavour OXP's. Dr Nil's Commies comes to mind, and he for one has given permission to do so here. Would be great to se Art Deco style space stations and Ships. (The Chronicle's Of Riddick comes to mind). Good or bad idea?
I like that idea I have myself a redesign of the dragon on the drawing boards at the moment, utilising ablative sub-entities. First seen in the "halo" build for the kirin.

I think it would be cool to better honour some of the more spartan designs (nothing wrong with spartan) with at least a detailed texture. Tricky though, one doesn't want to tread on anyone's toes.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

ClymAngus wrote:
Gimi wrote:
I like that idea I have myself a redesign of the dragon on the drawing boards at the moment, utilising ablative sub-entities. First seen in the "halo" build for the kirin.

I think it would be cool to better honour some of the more spartan designs (nothing wrong with spartan) with at least a detailed texture. Tricky though, one doesn't want to tread on anyone's toes.
I mentioned Commies because Dr Nil himself mentions the need for better models. It might be a good one to start with, as he has encouraged it.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Gimi wrote:
Funny - in the last days I was working on a helper tool to find the right settings for the shipdata materials keys, because creating them is often a tedious task and I wanted a tool that works directly in the game. Some pieces are not done yet (most of the texture specifiers, e.g anisotropy), but the main thing is already working. The tool writes the settings to Latest.log and this can be simply copied to shipdata.plist. Additionally a test launch mode creates this entity in front of the station and applies the settings with a custom AI and script. The pics are showing the starting point and after applying the settings.

Image Image
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Svengali,

That looks brilliant.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Svengali wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Funny - in the last days I was working on a helper tool to find the right settings for the shipdata materials keys, because creating them is often a tedious task and I wanted a tool that works directly in the game. Some pieces are not done yet (most of the texture specifiers, e.g anisotropy), but the main thing is already working. The tool writes the settings to Latest.log and this can be simply copied to shipdata.plist. Additionally a test launch mode creates this entity in front of the station and applies the settings with a custom AI and script. The pics are showing the starting point and after applying the settings.

Image Image
Will look forward to seeing that Svengali, good job! :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Awesome idea, Svengali, well done!
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Skorpion Fighter

This is a mission NPC ship which will be on your side, but if you make a mistake to attack her, you won't even have time to use your escape pod.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Okti,

That looks like a very interesting ship.

Ironfist
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ironfist wrote:
Oh, it's a very 'interesting' ship alright... don't mess with the KSF, as they say!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

It does look very cool, like a heavy fighter or a gunship... what it does not resemble is a scorpion, though.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
It does look very cool, like a heavy fighter or a gunship... what it does not resemble is a scorpion, though.
How does a Cobra Mark III resemble a cobra? Ships don't have to resemble their namesake...
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

El Viejo wrote:
Ironfist wrote:
Oh, it's a very 'interesting' ship alright... don't mess with the KSF, as they say!
The KSF! Now where have I heard that before... Hmm....

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
But it doesn't have to look like one to act like one though and this does have a surprise. And like the animal... Do Not Disturb!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

From the look I think it will have a real nasty STING!