Rock Hermit Buoys

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JD
Deadly
Deadly

Rock Hermit Buoys

Post by JD »

I've just installed the Rock Hermit Locator oxp, version 1.3.2, and have noticed that it creates two buoys per rock hermit. Is that intentional?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Rock Hermit Buoys

Post by Cody »

Are you sure that there weren't two or three actual rock hermits... they often come in clusters.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Two buoys per Rock Hermit is probably not intentional.

@ JD: Asking the obvious question first: Have you by any chance forgotten to remove the old version of the OXP from your AddOns folder?
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

Are you sure that there weren't two or three actual rock hermits... they often come in clusters.
That was my first thought. On the first occasion there were 4 buoys and two hermits. I searched diligently for another two hermits, but they weren't there. Second occasion, two buoys, 1 hermit. The thing is, on each occasion the buoys were arranged in pairs, each pair almost touching. Which suggests (although it doesn't 100% guarantee) that they're marking the same rock hermit entry bay.
Asking the obvious question first: Have you by any chance forgotten to remove the old version of the OXP from your AddOns folder?
No, I haven't previously installed this oxp (I did just check my AddOns folder, to be absolutely certain).

Although it's probably not material, in the interests of full disclosure I should probably also say that I'm running nightly trunk version 4412.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Had you docked and launched at some station before you came across the double buoys? Or was it straight after jumping into the system?
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

No prior docking, I'd just jumped into the system.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

[wildguess]
It almost sounds like the locator.oxp cannot find the original buoys, and then cheats by adding its own.
[/wildguess]
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

CheeseRedux wrote:
[wildguess]
It almost sounds like the locator.oxp cannot find the original buoys, and then cheats by adding its own.
[/wildguess]
There are no original buoys (or at least there didn't used to be). That was the whole point of the OXP - to add them and have them broadcast the beacon.

It is the OXP that adds them, although here for some reason it is doing so twice. Of course if there are now beacons there by default then the whole OXP becomes rather redundant. But as I'm not on my scripting rig at the moment I cannot confirm that.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Thargoid wrote:
There are no original buoys (or at least there didn't used to be). That was the whole point of the OXP - to add them and have them broadcast the beacon.
Well there you go! I've had the RHL installed for so long (without ever actually buying the equipment) that I'd plum forgotten that the hermits don't come with beacons in vanilla. :oops:
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I haven't get gotten my head completely around the RHL script. It seems clear that it intends to only add one buoy per hermit. If the buoy-adding routine is called twice, I don't know yet how that happens. Eric should know more about that, he wrote the script.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I've seen double-buoys as well, and because I've...modified my copy of RHL oxp somewhat...I thought it was something I did wrong.

Is it possible of the 2 buoys, 1 is the "turned off" and the other is "turned on"? Only 1 of the 2 is reported on the advanced space compass, so I'm thinking for some reason both get spawned.

Is Schrodinger's Cat showing up again, both alive and dead?
(The buoys appearing depending on whether you have the RHL equipment or not...but for some reason it thinks you both do and do not have it?)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Switeck wrote:
I've seen double-buoys as well, and because I've...modified my copy of RHL oxp somewhat...I thought it was something I did wrong.

Is it possible of the 2 buoys, 1 is the "turned off" and the other is "turned on"?
That would be a possibility, but only one of them should be spawned in any case.

Can you target them independently? And if you do so, what does PS.target.primaryRole return in each case when typed into the console?

@ Eric: I suspect the culprit to be in the JS-syntax of

Code: Select all

this.buoy = (player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ROCKHERMIT_SCANNER") === "EQUIPMENT_OK") ? "rockbeacon" : "rockbeacof";
which may be running both cases. But I'm not familiar enough with it to be certain.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
@ Eric: I suspect the culprit to be in the JS-syntax of

Code: Select all

this.buoy = (player.ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ROCKHERMIT_SCANNER") === "EQUIPMENT_OK") ? "rockbeacon" : "rockbeacof";
which may be running both cases. But I'm not familiar enough with it to be certain.
No that is correct syntax. I never noticed double buoys in my universe. Even a double install does no harm. There can't exist two worldscripts with the same name. Only one is used. I double checked by duplicating the oxp and giving one script a different revision number. (But oolite seems not to look at version numbers when duplicates exist and only uses the last loaded one) I still have single buoys with my hermits on a double install :wink:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I don't usually have RHL installed, but I just did, and I'm using nightly 4412 as well. I have no double beacons.

The beacons also don't appear on the compass. Wasn't that was RHL was about in the first place? EDIT: Ah, no, I have to buy the equipment first, of course. :oops: (BTW: installing it took about two days :) )

@ Eric: wasn't some Windows JS-thingy updated shortly before rev 4412? Could it be that this has somehow messed up the JS-syntax on Windows systems?
Last edited by Commander McLane on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Commander McLane wrote:
The beacons also don't appear on the compass. Wasn't that was RHL was about in the first place?
Mandatory checking of the obvious: Have you bought the equipment?

Edit: You edited while I posted. And before I could delete, Smivs popped in with a post...
Last edited by CheeseRedux on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Dean C Engelhardt