How many people use the Fuel Tank OXP?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Poro
Deadly
Deadly

How many people use the Fuel Tank OXP?

Post by Poro »

I've always wondered how popular this is, since I'm finding it increasingly unbalancing. I can remember when I first started Oolite, this was one of the most useful OXPs I had installed (still is) and I was constantly buying them. Then, as my combat skills increased, I realised that I didn't need to save up for an uber ship. I also didn't need so many OXP weapon systems/aids any more. Now I'm getting to the stage where I may remove even this very useful addition to the game, simply to make things harder in combat (only rarely injecting to the target's 'six').

Of course, I could just install current (and upcoming) OXPs which bump up the difficulty of the enemies, but I'd rather do it the other way around - limit my own ship so that I have a reason to fear the stock ships again. I've also considered drastically increasing the price of fuel tanks for myself.

I remember some players discussing how they kept Feudal States on their games, but rarely took part in challenges, since it was too easy to make screed-loads of money that way. Does anyone consciously avoid using fuel tanks?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: How many people use the Fuel Tank OXP?

Post by Cody »

Poro wrote:
Does anyone consciously avoid using fuel tanks?
I only use them for research or exploration purposes (ie crossing the Great Rift), not in normal game-play.
However, test flying Smivs’ new ToughGuys oxp recently, I’ve found them very useful… when it’s that 'difficult' out there, they’re justified... you need injector fuel.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
bovinespirit
Poor
Poor

Post by bovinespirit »

I do, 'cos I'm pretty rubbish at shooting stuff before it shoots me. I also find the Fuel Collector very useful...
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

I hate being left with no drive fuel!! I use them especially when I have long hauls to make such as for missions when you need to jump to systems at the edge of your 7ly range but still be ready to outrun large groups or enter a big battle when you arrive, basically when you know you'll need to use fuel injectors. Of course not all the ships I currently fly can use them: My latest Jameson is in an Eagle MKI (no missile slots) so he's limited to shorter hops or on arrival fly to the left and hit the old J drive!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I've used them on cargo contracts.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Honestly, I don't think I've ever used one. :|

That being said, I can't imagine flying ...(floating?) without at least one. Just in case.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I always keep one just in case of a missjump and I'm left stranded. On more than one occasion I have been the only one to survive with just a single battle bot II.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

My Commander is a cheapskate, and will only use Fuel Tanks in dire emergencies, but one is always carried as misjump insurance. Along with that, Fuel Collector is installed and heavily relied upon.

If there's a rush to get somewhere, a visit to a Constore or one of Thargoid's Fuel Stations* is a cheaper solution than an expensive fuel tank.

*[EliteWiki] Get it here! Special offer! Unlimited time only! Also, make sure to check out Thargoid's other OXPs. Great value!**

** T, I'll PM you the instructions on how to send me my cut.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I carry one, but it's been a long time since I ever used it. Generally speaking I'm free to choose my own routes, so I tend towards short hops which leave me plenty on in-system fuel anyway. But it's nice to have as an emergency backup.
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

I always have my missile slots at least 50% filled with fuel tanks.

They are really useful for long-range delivery missions, or those times when the witch-drive sucks the tank dry!

I really think it is strange why Oolite spaceships by default do not carry extra tanks or can have cargo space filled with fuel?

:)
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Have the OXP installed. Whether I have tanks with me depends on what I'm doing. If I'm doing missions or running around feudal or anarchy system I tend to have one with me. If I'm doing milk runs and building my fortune I don't.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

So whatever happened to sun skimmimg, why waste a missile pylon.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cody

Post by Cody »

You can't go sun-skimming in the middle of a firefight.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I hardly ever use missiles, either, to be honest ... the tank though I keep as insurance against misjumps.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

TGHC wrote:
So whatever happened to sun skimmimg, why waste a missile pylon.
Ever tried to go sunskimming while being stranded in interstellar space? I always carry two of those tanks, only for that case.

Sun skimming - I've done that, but usually only to get rid of trumbles :D I've never understood why sunskimming would be great - it's a loss of much time during which I could earn a lot more than I save by free refuels so far away.

Screet