Oolite 6th Birthday present [RELEASE]

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Oolite 6th Birthday present [RELEASE]

Post by Smivs »

Happy Birthday Oolite! :)
Oolite was released on 18th July, 2004, and is six years old today.
To celebrate this anniversary, I would like to offer you all a Birthday Present, PsychOo OXP.
This is NOT a normal OXP, but is a special birthday release, and will only be available until the end of July, 2010. It is intended as a bit of fun, and IS NOT an addition to the normal game.

PsychOo OXP.
Playing 'PsychOo' should allow you to enjoy some of the fastest, wildest and most adrenaline-fuelled battles possible in the Ooniverse. PsychOo OXP will generate a number of Pirates, many of whom will be flying the ultra-fast and lethal Contractor. Their Contractors are extremely well equipped, and these pirates will be very aggressive and may not give up as easily as the normal pirates you encounter - They will opt for Death and Glory rather than defeat. Indeed they may even become suicidal, so take care! :twisted:
However, to keep things fair YOU will also be flying a Contractor. Your Contractor is also very well equipped. On top of the standard Fuel Injectors and ECM your ship has an Extra Energy Unit, Shield Boosters and Military Shield Enhancement, and uprated targeting equipment, plus a few other useful bits of kit.
You are given a tank of fuel and three hardened missiles at the start of the game, but you have Zero Credits and your Contractor has NO resale value.
It is up to you to survive, and if you can, make enough money to keep your ship fuelled and running. :D

Download.
Downloads are no longer available :cry:

Installation.
The 'PsychOo.oxp' folder should be installed in your AddOns folder in the normal way, but unlike regular OXPs there is also a special 'PsychOo.oolite-save' file which should be installed in your Oolite-saves folder.
When you start Oolite, select 'Yes' for 'Load previous commander', then select 'PsychOo', just as you would for any other Commander.
There should be no problems using PsychOo with other OXPs (including Contractor) installed.
NB The 'PsychOo.oxp' folder should be removed from AddOns (and kept somewhere safe) when playing the normal game unless you want to tackle multiple pirates with Contractors in your regular ship. Not normally recommended!.
The 'PsychOo.oolite-save' file can be left in place.

Licence/Author
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA. (37) The OXP was developed by Smivs.
Last edited by Smivs on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Where's the cake? I want cake! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Pie wasn’t good enough for you?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

:D

The pie is a lie!!!

And there was no meringue either!! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Oolite 6th Birthday present [RELEASE]

Post by JensAyton »

Smivs wrote:
Y’know what? According to the file list, 1.65 was released four years and one day ago. :shock:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ahruman wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Y’know what? According to the file list, 1.65 was released four years and one day ago. :shock:
I got the date from the most reliable source of information in the World, Wikipedia. :roll: The page link seems to have brackets '( )' which seems to confuse the BB code so I can't post the link, I'm afraid. Go to Wikipedia and search for 'oolite video game' and you'll find it.

Edit:- It looks like I might have been out by a few days, as I just found
this here on the BB, dated July 12th 2004. :oops: Sorry about your present being late!
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

"I want cake" and "The pie is a lie" - some mixed metaphors there, beautiful! :D

@Smivs: nice going, bruv, am going to download it now, it sounds like fun. Thanks! :)
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Full throttle and fuel injectors - now THAT's the way to park!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Smivs wrote:
I got the date from the most reliable source of information in the World, Wikipedia. :roll: The page link seems to have brackets '( )' which seems to confuse the BB code so I can't post the link, I'm afraid. Go to Wikipedia and search for 'oolite video game' and you'll find it.
If you use url encoding for the brackets – %28 for ( and %29 for ) – you can make it work, thus.

Code: Select all

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolite_%28video_game%29]thus[/url]
But Happy Birthday, one day late or not, to Oolite!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Smivs wrote:
this here on the BB, dated July 12th 2004. :oops: Sorry about your present being late!
It depends what you call first release. Oolite 1.65 was the first official stable release. All other are test releases.
The one you link to is test release 1.0.6. But, I have on my computer also a test realese 1.0.1 dated 28 April 2004. That release already contained a nice doc file (reading: Early Alpha Test Version) and was fully playable. Even on my current Mac OSX 10.5
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Maybe we should set up a committee to decide on Oolite's official birthday :lol:
docwild
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by docwild »

This is all very nice but someone mentioned cake?

serious business...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

docwild wrote:
This is all very nice but someone mentioned cake?

serious business...
The things I do for you guys...

:lol:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Q: Was that hard to do?
A: No... it was a piece of cake!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

...groan... ....good grief..!! :roll:

Well, I've been visiting this board for nearly 6 years, and it was at version 1.04 when I had first discovered it on a 'MacWorld' magazine CD a few days earlier. Thank you MacWorld!
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
Smivs wrote:
It depends what you call first release. Oolite 1.65 was the first official stable release. All other are test releases.
Er, what? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t ever labelled “first official stable release”. In fact, that terminology was only used later, to distinguish 1.67 from it.

I mentioned 1.65 because it was interesting that it was almost exactly two years after 1.06, even if that wasn’t quite as precisely true as it seemed.