[Depricated] Trumble Treats - coming soon!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

[Depricated] Trumble Treats - coming soon!

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

A kind soul made me consider once again the trouble we jamesons have with trumbles.

[post edited]

OXP that gives the player the option to sell his/her trumbles.
Secondary, killed trumble may now yield furs, as in elite classic.
A tiny fraction of 'new' vessels might be infected with them.

get the 0.04 version here

Most of the kinks have been worked out by now, I feel confident enough to call it a beta. :)
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

There are a couple of possibilities still:

1) You could make a mission that requires the player to have a trumble on-board (its presence can be detected as for a piece of equipment). For example when you approach a certain station, your trumble starts purring or telepathically communicating with you or something. For details see Terry Pratchett's Dark Side of the Sun, with Ig playing the role of the trumble.

2) You have a second piece of "equipment" which is the sellable trumble. For that to be available the player must have a trumble already, and it could either be purchasable or sellable as you wish (it can be scripted either way about, that you purchase a "sell a newly born baby trumble"). Just because they aren't bouncing around your cockpit doesn't mean they aren't in the ship and for sale, but you can never quite manage to sell all of them. Along the lines of your last line comment/consideration.

I must admit I've been pondering something along the lines of 1) myself, but have decided to take a break from OXPs for a bit to recover from the recent flurry I seem to have written.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

I think this 'caged' trumble eq is a good concept.
could be 'purchasable' as a scripted mission event at certain seedy locations
such as Arexack's illegal trumble ranch asteroid, previously known as Arexian low-G Agriponics Lab....before Hesperus delivered a load of Deesian wheat. ;)
Or spacebars,
or assasin hangouts,
or hoopys,
or certain hermitrocks.... nah, probably best as a single mission event rather than being bombarded with offers to 'cage your trumble' at every turn.
Riding the Rocket!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

... A naval research project that requires you to fire a special missile loaded with trumbles at a thargoid warship, to find out the military implications of how the thargoids deal with the trumbles and what happens to their ship when they're occupied ...

... As it was on the C64, when you have roasted/salted your trumble-load, they turn to XXX tons of furs you can sell ...
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

Sounds like an entertaining concept - I'm in favour, and if I come up with any plots, I'll be sure to post them! :)

Lestradae, some great ideas there :D

Hmmm, how about a garden-variety bounty-style mission - except that the cargo (and/or maybe even the escape capsule, if this is doable) dropped by the target is full of trumble?
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Full throttle and fuel injectors - now THAT's the way to park!
Arexack_Heretic

That would be the get Hespy mission...

==

v 0.1 will be implemented as a piece of equipment that can be simply bought when trumbles are present on ship & player has been offered the trumble before.
(as opposed to requiring scripted mission to get the EQ)
As soon as player has one or more trumble containers, there will be opportunaties for selling the trumble similar in operation to the trumble offer itself.(system.economy should detract from chance.)
player can then choose to either attempt a sale or not.
(I'll require player feedback on frequency)
If you choose to sell, chance has it that you will be busted and launched from station, thrown in the brig for a day, etc, criminal rating will increase a bit.

maybe later I'll add some scripted missions and or story elements.
I'm thinking of keeping track of number of attempted sales
This could be used to vary the value of trumble.
Notoriety of trumbles increases, value drops as well as succesrate.
I could have success depend on multiple factors; player.rank, player.legal_rating, player.contractReputation,
getting caught depends on:
probably total#trumbles sold as well as system.government
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

Though not a mission, here's another possible way to introduce trumbles:

Disreputable equipment dealers who may not have sanitation measures quite up to galactic standards, might unwittingly give you a little something extra with a new piece of gear - a trumblesome stowaway. Similarly, a new (or more likely, a second-hand) ship, might come with some (might be exactly the reason why the ship was traded in, in the first place!)

Also, here's another idea, though I should probably more correctly suggest it on the Hyperradio thread, but included here as it fits your theme: a "popular hit single", called something like "Trumble Me No More" or "Why You Look So Trumbled?" or something equally cheesy, that could play a bit too often on Hyperradio (as happens all-too-often often on RL radio with overplayed songs...)

(Of course, for this last there's the little complication of needing the services of a composer/singer...)

:)
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Full throttle and fuel injectors - now THAT's the way to park!
Arexack_Heretic

indeed an intriguing idea. :twisted:

Yesterday I've coded the missionscript (for selling),
the equipment.plist,
mission-text.plist,
some descriptions.plist for variation,
Already had some images prepared.

Only needs testing (probably a lot!)... which needs a new keyboard. :P

Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate a missionVariable in a runScreen missiontext parameter?

I'd like varying price for the trumbles according to the systeminfo and that info would be nice to know before attempting a sale, because the risk of getting caught varies with government type as well as does the chance of a more severe punishment.
Alternatively I could let the player guestimate the probably reward of attempting to push a trumble on a corporate citizen....
(price would vary between: 10*(econ+1/gov+1) +/- random5) eg Only about 6 Cred for an unlucky poor agricultural anarchy or 85 for a lucky rich industrial corporate state)
Riding the Rocket!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to integrate a missionVariable in a runScreen missiontext parameter?
Yes it is. If you put [mission_AXTrumble] in the text of your missiontext.plist file for example, it will be substituted by the value of missionVariables.AXTrumble.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yes, it's possible. Put the name of the mission variable inside square brackets inside missiontext.plist, as described here and here.
(I've just amended the text inside the first link, to make things a bit more clear.

Assuming this is inside missiontext.plist

Code: Select all

{
	ah_variable_price_screen = "\n\nthe price today is: [ah_test_variable_price].";

}
you can do:

missionVariables.ah_test_variable_price=15+7;

mission.runScreen({title:'variable price',messageKey:'ah_variable_price_screen'});
You can also do something like:

mission.runScreen({title:'variable price',message:'\nthe price today is: '+ (15+7)});
edit: ninja'd by the Thargoid! :) Still, my last example is a bit less complicated, if I might say so myself! :P
Last edited by Kaks on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Arexack_Heretic

Thargoid wrote:
Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Yes it is. If you put [mission_AXTrumble] in the text of your missiontext.plist file for example, it will be substituted by the value of missionVariables.AXTrumble.
Ah great thanks! :D
I could not remember how, nor find in the documentation how. Might have been the lateness of the morning. It looks so obvious now. :roll:

edit. What I did yesterday (as a placeholder) was put the javascript expression in the brackets of the plist variable. That doesn't work, is like using wine for fuel, and drinking liquid quirium. It might work, but you have to refine the alcohol(mission_variable) first. ;) Drinking quirrium is a bad idea even if you dilute it with water first, by the way.

edit2:
That second bit of code uses a different variable than the first, but I get the idea. yes.
hehe, JS syntax is a bit weird if you're used to python. Like a thick accent. (More like Afrikaans v Dutch actually, as some basic stuff are just plain different) It's difficult to guess how some things work, like stringing strings together, as you did in the last example, I did not know how that worked in JS, but it is obvious once you're told. :lol:
Online guides and resources for JS suck btw, it generally focusses on website design, not logic, math etc. ;) EDIT: Not so for the OOliite wiki! I'm just too impatient, the wiki contains everything from operators to syntax to eventhandlers. :oops:

edit3: I now need to get a new keyboard...or a new Murgh to text my code. ;) Later. Oh, note to self: and armyboots, my current pair I've busted through the soles.

edit4: before I go: That last example with the message: foo parameter, how does that incorporate [description] references? (such as %H and [thargoid-curses] etc)
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, the simple one was a bit too simple for your tastes, I see! :P

A quick look through this lot:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... _Reference

(Recommended read before going to bed, of course!)

should show expandDescription()...

mission.runScreen({title:'variable price',message:expandDescription('\ntoday, the price in %H is: ')+ (15+7)}); 
Arexack_Heretic

:lol: yeah, at some point this night I had windows open on most of those references as well as having about twelve plist/js file open.

ok, so "expandDescription" expands/translates plist text into string JS can handle.
grrreat!
Riding the Rocket!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

It looks like there's one 'minor' omission to the js reference. I'll be fixing that as best as I can in the next hour or so! :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
edit. What I did yesterday (as a placeholder) was put the javascript expression in the brackets of the plist variable. That doesn't work, is like using wine for fuel, and drinking liquid quirium. It might work, but you have to refine the alcohol(mission_variable) first. ;) Drinking quirrium is a bad idea even if you dilute it with water first, by the way.

edit2:
That second bit of code uses a different variable than the first, but I get the idea. yes.
The mission text uses legacy scripting, which as you rightly say isn't Javascript. The mission_<whatever> is the legacy scripting method of referencing mission variables (and the mission_ bit is needed - Kak's example above is missing it).

And no, gargling Quirium isn't good for your health. Especially when washing down a trumble-burger.