SuperHub

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

SuperHub

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I've just GALhyperspaced to g7 from Teerbi, arriving at Inlaoran TL14 (Rich Industrial - Democracy). There was a SuperHub station there, and I docked with it, refuelled, bought new GALhyperdrive unit and zipped straight off to g8. Once there, I crashed into a RockHermit. It was his fault. I looked up & there he was: stopped - in front of me!!
After discharging myself from the intensive care unit at Lequatdi and returning to g6 to face the Teerbi General & Marine Insurance Company's insane loss adjusters, I was eventually able to retrace my steps in :D a brand new Cobra I rat-boy special. WHEN I ARRIVED AT INLAORAN TL14 THERE WAS NO SUPERHUB.

I've read the "Read Me" Superhubv1.2.oxp and notice:
Read Me wrote:
* Added in the 50:50 chance again.
* Added in a check on the system government
Should the station always appear at the same locations, once positioned, or does the 50/50 chance continue to apply thereafter? (the station presumably having fitted engines and ambled off, as it is able to do, while no-one was looking?)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: SuperHub

Post by Smivs »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
I've just GALhyperspaced to g7 from Teerbi, arriving at Inlaoran TL14 (Rich Industrial - Democracy). There was a SuperHub station there, and I docked with it, refuelled, bought new GALhyperdrive unit and zipped straight off to g8. Once there, I crashed into a RockHermit. It was his fault. I looked up & there he was: stopped - in front of me!!
After discharging myself from the intensive care unit at Lequatdi and returning to g6 to face the Teerbi General & Marine Insurance Company's insane loss adjusters, I was eventually able to retrace my steps in :D a brand new Cobra I rat-boy special.
Got to be time to stop for a cup of Tea, hasn't it? :lol:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

There is no time for tea. I am examining the Esusale/Ceecees anomaly..
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Shades of TMA-1!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Shades of TMA-1!
Just make sure you avoid the Monkeys with bones :!:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Just make sure you avoid the Monkeys with bones
Apes, please... no tails on my ancestors.

(And there's always time for tea).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
After discharging myself from the intensive care unit at Lequatdi and returning to g6 to face the Teerbi General & Marine Insurance Company's insane loss adjusters, I was eventually able to retrace my steps in :D a brand new Cobra I rat-boy special. WHEN I ARRIVED AT INLAORAN TL14 THERE WAS NO SUPERHUB.

I've read the "Read Me" Superhubv1.2.oxp and notice:
Read Me wrote:
* Added in the 50:50 chance again.
* Added in a check on the system government
Should the station always appear at the same locations, once positioned, or does the 50/50 chance continue to apply thereafter? (the station presumably having fitted engines and ambled off, as it is able to do, while no-one was looking?)
I guess unless it stores something in the save game file it'll be 50:50 roll of the die each time - this of course is the argument for why you can't currently save anywhere except a main station...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

This was where all the discussion about how to fix things "randomly but repeatably" came about, or at least it was one of the candidates.

But the initial populator script (which I wrote) didn't have this in, so you're probably being hit by the 50:50 unless PAGroove or someone else updated the scripting after me to put the fixed-random in place (which is entirely possible).
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

If someone needs a "random but repeatable" function, I have a modified version of some code provided by PhantorGorth in my Cheyd_JS_Common_Functions_1.js inside Deep Horizon - System Redux 2.

Include my script in your scripts folder (and add to your worldscripts.plist - dont' worry, since it's named the same as mine only one version will run). Call worldScripts["Cheyd_JS_Common_Functions_1"].generateUniquePseudoRandomArray(parameters). The parameters needs to be an array with the following:
LowerLimit: Inclusive Minimum value that you will want
UpperLimit: Inclusive Maximum value
HowMany: How many random results do you want returned? 1, 4, 200?
Seed_1: Seed value
Seed_2: Seed value (preferably a prime number)
Seed_3: Seed value (preferably a prime number)
MaxSeed: Maximum Seed value (preferably a prime number)

It will return an array of length HowMany that is both random, but also repeatable if you feed the same seeds.

Hope that helps! :)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that scripty wotsit Ahruman gave for psuedorandom seeds (see the Scripting requests bit in SUggestions) works, i use it for placing my new station in random but consistent systems.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

thank you for that information, which I'll investigate re. use of seeds
..the superhub is fine as written, however, I was just curious whether it was working as intended, and it is, so that's OK
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

There was a kaff / service station the Mrs and I used to go to when visiting a friend on the south coast. But we can't even work out where the site was any more. Weird. It was dead good and in a good location - how can it have disappeared?

When out on a drive, we decided to go to the big cinema where we did our courting. There is a Tesco car park there now. How can the main cinema for a heavily populated London town not be making money?

My wife expressed a curiosity in going dog racing so we went to White City. That BBC office block does not look like a dog racing track to me. Can West London really not need a dog track?

And then just the other day, I popped out to get some milk and there was a sign up saying "The Inlaoran SuperHub has moved. We are now at 17-23 The High Street, Angeriri."

FFS. :evil:

Edit: oops. I didn't mean to resurrect a year old thread!
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

SandJ wrote:
There was a kaff / service station the Mrs and I used to go to when visiting a friend on the south coast. But we can't even work out where the site was any more. Weird. It was dead good and in a good location - how can it have disappeared?

When out on a drive, we decided to go to the big cinema where we did our courting. There is a Tesco car park there now. How can the main cinema for a heavily populated London town not be making money?

My wife expressed a curiosity in going dog racing so we went to White City. That BBC office block does not look like a dog racing track to me. Can West London really not need a dog track?

And then just the other day, I popped out to get some milk and there was a sign up saying "The Inlaoran SuperHub has moved. We are now at 17-23 The High Street, Angeriri."

FFS. :evil:

Edit: oops. I didn't mean to resurrect a year old thread!
For such an amusing and well observed posting, you're entirely forgiven.

Old threads are often resurrected.
Selezen wrote:
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Continuing the above theme...

I wonder if they dismantled the SuperHub one piece at a time and shipped it piece by piece to its new location, or if they just attached massive Engines to it and made a hyperspace jump (imagine the size of the wormhole!) Or if they just said "Screw it" and nuked the station and built a new one.

:lol:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

ADCK wrote:
Continuing the above theme...
Or if they just said "Screw it" and nuked the station and built a new one.

:lol:
This is what would happen if Iain M Banks was writing the back story for Oolite... :wink:
Selezen wrote: