Griff's Explosion Debris OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Griff's Explosion Debris OXP

Post by JazHaz »

Not heard about this?

Found a link to it on Thargoid's wiki page. Have copied the link onto my Griff Industries wiki page.

Sounds interesting though.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Used the Google search to search the BB, but didn't find anything about it. The OXP seems to date from 2009.

Whats the background?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

it's sort of a proof of concept oxp really, it's main thread is here
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... torder=asc
it's got a neat 'dissolving' effect, but it ended up really hard to get good results with it, it looks ok here in the demo piece, but that's about the only one that does work,
plus i started out wasting too much time making textures and models that didn't get used or were really just rubbish ideas to start with that i lost enthusiasm for the oxp, i'll probably come back at take a few bits and bobs from it for including in the dizzy all-in-1 normal mapped shipset bundle
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

What he said. Basically he wrote some lovely textures and shaders, and I bundled them together to make ships explode in more interesting and pretty fashion.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The only "problem" I found with this OXP is that it generated a very big number of wreckage on every explosion. By reducing this number, I think it becomes a very nice addition to the game.
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

Griff wrote:
or were really just rubbish ideas to start with
You say 'rubbish ideas', I say the nuts-'n'-bolts that are turning Oolite from a "mere" update of a much-loved game from the dawn of computer gaming into something that is better than many Hollywood blockbusters...

If this is what y'all can do in your spare time, I'd love to know what you could do with the resources of someone like Paramount or Universal behind you... :shock: :shock: :shock:
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

another_commander wrote:
The only "problem" I found with this OXP is that it generated a very big number of wreckage on every explosion. By reducing this number, I think it becomes a very nice addition to the game.
that's my fault, i mucked about with Thargoids scripts trying to get a bigger cloud of tiny sparks when the ship first explodes but i ended up breaking all the debris levels too, i don't think i ever restored it back to Thargoid's original scripted amounts before shelving the oxp.

I think if i just pick a few of the better junk objects and polished them up a bit the oxp would be better, i got bogged down trying to get different burning effects for each junk piece, it was pointless because it wasn't really noticable in game, and binning so many hours of work just really made me go off the oxp :D
i do like the burst open cargo pods though, i'll re-do them for the normal map oxp
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

very sweet work, griff. =D
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.