Vector

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Vector

Post by bigmike20vt »

Hi

am doing all the G1 missions before starting the constrictor hunt.

i have searched, and read the readme, what is the Vecor (Richmans world) oxp and how do i start the m,ission?

cheers
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Vector

Post by Svengali »

bigmike20vt wrote:
i have searched, and read the readme, what is the Vecor (Richmans world) oxp and how do i start the m,ission?
- They are not galaxy specific (secondary mission handles it separately), so do whatever you like (e.g. finish the Constrictor hunt).
- The main 'mission' has no end and can be done again and again.
- They are no usual triggers - no 'Go out and give them hell.' - someday you'll stumble over it.
- It's along the line 'Free the slavers'. Be a good or bad guy and help the rich to get rid of their burden (money).
- The secondary mission is about a new piece of Equipment to expand the possibilities in the main 'mission'.

Spoilers (ROT13):
Rirelguvat vf nobhg fpbbcvat fcrpvsvp cbqf (pnetb naq rfpncr cbqf), ohg lbh unir gb svaq gur fuvcf gung ner pneelvat gurz. Uryc gurz ... reee... bhg naq cvpx hc gur ybbg.
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

taaaa.

i shall just forget about it then till am prompted.

right then, thats just the navy and random hits to do then, which spawn everywhere.

cant wait till local hero is fixed that looks like a good one, just hope i can start it if am in a later galaxy. :).
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Free the slaves or free the slavers? One I am really interested in and one I'm not so much.
Svengali wrote:
bigmike20vt wrote:
- They are not galaxy specific (secondary mission handles it separately), so do whatever you like (e.g. finish the Constrictor hunt).
- The main 'mission' has no end and can be done again and again.
- They are no usual triggers - no 'Go out and give them hell.' - someday you'll stumble over it.
- It's along the line 'Free the slavers'. Be a good or bad guy and help the rich to get rid of their burden (money).
- The secondary mission is about a new piece of Equipment to expand the possibilities in the main 'mission'.

Spoilers (ROT13):
Rirelguvat vf nobhg fpbbcvat fcrpvsvp cbqf (pnetb naq rfpncr cbqf), ohg lbh unir gb svaq gur fuvcf gung ner pneelvat gurz. Uryc gurz ... reee... bhg naq cvpx hc gur ybbg.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Chrisfs wrote:
Free the slaves or free the slavers? One I am really interested in and one I'm not so much.
'Free' has a double meaning - it's up to you and completely your choice. As I've said it is possible to play it as good or bad guy, both ways have pros and contras.

Currently it only works for some scripted pods, because it's not possible to check piloted escape-capsules if there are legacy_actions or not (private properties). Without this it could break other oxps, so I haven't implemented it.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Svengali, you can actually check to see if there are any legacy script actions:

for example

Code: Select all

if(targetShip.script.legacy_deathActions) {

// the ship targetShip has got some legacy death actions!!

}

Y can use this method to check for "legacy_launchActions", "legacy_scriptActions", "legacy_deathActions", and "legacy_setupActions"!

So if you really want to do extra coding, you can! :twisted:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Also, the legacy_deathActions are called through the shipDied event handler, specifically so you can do nasty stuff like monkey-patching even on legacy-scripted ships:

Code: Select all

if (ship.script.shipDied)  ship.svengali_patched_shipDied = ship.script.shipDied;
ship.shipDied = function()
{
    // Do your stuff here.

// Call original handler:
    if (this.ship.svengali_patched_shipDied)
    {
        this.ship.svengali_patched_shipDied.apply(this, arguments);
    }
}
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

R'n'R Kaks and Ahruman - Thanks a lot for another very useful information.
So I'm going to punch to the duck until it returns what I'm expecting .-)
bovinespirit
Poor
Poor

Post by bovinespirit »

Hi, just a quick note to say that Vector Inc's logo on the wiki page is also the logo of lighting desk manufacturers Avolites. It's especially jarring as 'Vector' is the name of one of their competitors products...
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

bovinespirit wrote:
Hi, just a quick note to say that Vector Inc's logo on the wiki page is also the logo of lighting desk manufacturers Avolites. It's especially jarring as 'Vector' is the name of one of their competitors products...
Hey, the first one who has spotted it, even though the logo is not really identical to Avolites - cool, 12 points! .-)

Hehe, maybe I should add the desperate Commander Flying Pig hunted by his GrandMA for the next version...
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

What's that I hear about merging Localhero with Vector?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Zireael wrote:
What's that I hear about merging Localhero with Vector?
Yep, that's right. Localhero will become a expansion for the Vector, one of quite a few planned things.

I've prepared the Vector with some infrastructure and the expansions will hook in then. The Vector had to be changed for it and the background mission has to be done again (it makes the player familiar with some of the new toys).

Localhero itself will need a complete rewrite as most of the used ways/workarounds/hacks are not working anymore and Oolite has changed a lot. The plan is to split the OXP in pieces which can be installed like Hyperradio musicpacks, but it will need a while. Additionally some other WIP OXPs like Fallenangels will be merged with these pieces too.

I've nearly finished the tests for the new Vector and will release it this weekend if nothing unexpected happens .-)