Crew Soundset

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Crew Soundset

Post by Corny »

I'd really like to have ship crews in Oolite, not only because I'm a browncoat (firefly fan). But I don't know much about Objective-C, so I can't just code some Multiplayer-mode or some extension to let you have some RPG-like crew with experience points and all... But since it seems to be quite easy to stitch together a sound set if you have the sound files already, I want to do this. I think it would really add something to the atmosphere.
Right now, it's just a raw idea - and I need some voice actors first because I plan to have different crew members for weapons, navigation, engine room and so on. So: Does anyone want to take part in it? You just need an okay microphone (well, if your mic is crappy, you can still take the engineer part shouting over roaring engines), a voice and the ability to speak english. Guess it would even add to the flavor if you had an accent if your english is still understandable :)
The license would be Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported, if you are interested. I'd credit you with full name and/or nickname in the readme, your choice.
If there'd be an overwhelming interest, I wouldn't say no to multiple voice actors, I'd make oxps for every voice then so the player could choose his own crew. If noone wants to take part, I'll find other people, no worries :D

Also, a question:
In both hawksounds and Hal's Hot Sister, there are sounds for [aegis-planet] and [aegis-station]. I never heard these sounds (1.73.4), although I encountered many planets and stations. Do you have an idea why?
Cause if they don't work anyway, I wouldn't need sound files for it...

Download links:
Engineer by Captain Berf
Pilot by Captain Berf
Tactical Officer by Captain Berf
Alien Pilot by Captain Berf

Alternative downloads are located here (Mediafire).

Patches for BGS compatibility
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6c3lv13q1fp9 ... S.zip?dl=0
(by Svengali)
Last edited by Corny on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hey, now that's a neat idea!

(Already giggling with glee)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Crew Sound Set

Post by another_commander »

Corny wrote:
Also, a question:
In both hawksounds and Hal's Hot Sister, there are sounds for [aegis-planet] and [aegis-station]. I never heard these sounds (1.73.4), although I encountered many planets and stations. Do you have an idea why?
Cause if they don't work anyway, I wouldn't need sound files for it...
The [aegis-planet] and [aegis-station] sound files work as intended. To hear them, you need to have the Advanced Space Compass and approach the main planet (or the station, respectively), with the compass set to show the planet, otherwise they are not played. Also, make sure that the spelling of the sound files inside customsounds.plist matches the actual filenames for the two sound files. These two are disabled by default in customsounds.plist.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

I see! I always have the Advance Space Compass pointed on the navigation buoy if I approach the station. Thanks!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Does anyone have a broad Scots accent? It would be cool, because we should have a Scottish engineer!! :D
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Haha, true :D
By the way, I'm currently thinking about the lines for the crew members. But I'm not sure if I should include a chief officer or not.
The "lines" so far:
(This aren't supposed to be the exact lines, just the content you have to express! Be creative, think about the personality of the crewman you play... or just talk like you would :) )

Pilot
Hyperspeed mass-locked
Jump preparations (no countdown needed!)
Jump failed
Jump aborted
No target system set
Galactic Jump
Station in range
Autodocking available
Autodocking not available
Autopilot on (will possibly be scrapped in favour of station greeters)
Autopilot off
Wormhole created

Engineer
Hull breach / Game over
Laser overheating
Drive malfunction
Insufficient fuel
Fuel leak
Low Energy
Hold full
Cargo jettisoned
Escape capsule salvaged

Weapons Officer
Missiles on safety
Missile armed
Missile launched
incoming Missile
Mine armed
Mine deployed
(own) ECM active
Target locked
Target lost
Target memory empty
Red Alert
Locked on by enemy (will possibly be scrapped in favour of enemy transmissions/taunts)
Cloaking active
Cloaking disabled

Not sure about the implementation of these:

Station Greeters
Generic greeting like "Welcome to the Station, Commander. Please be patient and remain seated until you reach docking position."

Enemies
Generic taunts (could be pirates, could be police) or similar, e.g. "Die, scum!".

Edit: Updated the list. Added station greeter and enemies.
Edit: Updated the list again because of BGS-compatibility.
Last edited by Corny on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

A bit dry, isn't it?

Wouldn't it be more realistic if one said, for instance: 'rats, there goes our cargo!'

Or by serious malfunction: 'errrr... Cap? Shouldn't we eject?'

stuff like that would make it more entertaining. Of course, that's just my opinion :oops:
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Nice idea. The question is then how to implement different sets for different crews (without moving files).
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Rxke wrote:
A bit dry, isn't it?

Wouldn't it be more realistic if one said, for instance: 'rats, there goes our cargo!'

Or by serious malfunction: 'errrr... Cap? Shouldn't we eject?'

stuff like that would make it more entertaining. Of course, that's just my opinion :oops:
My fault, sorry. These aren't supposed to be their exact lines, but the meaning of them. So "Fuel Leak" could come out as "Sir, a fuel leak was detected in sector A6!" or "We got a gorram leak, Captain!". I want to let the speakers decide how they want to speak it. If these were the exact lines, yes, that would be quite dry :D
Just listed them so you can comment on the assignment of lines for the roles.
Svengali wrote:
Nice idea. The question is then how to implement different sets for different crews (without moving files).
I wanted to let you choose your crew with OXPs, so you don't download one crew-OXP, but an OXP for every voice/role you want to have. So, for e.g., you use Tom_Engineer.oxp, Alice_Pilot.oxp and Bob_Weapons.oxp. Ingame changing of the crew would be impossible, then, but I think that's they easiest possibility to let the player choose the crew.
If you have an idea for changing the crew without moving files, just tell me, but I'm afraid it would require to download every possible voice...

Also, I wanted to record more than one file for one event. It is possible to assign multiple sounds for one event which are selected randomized then, right?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Corny wrote:
I wanted to let you choose your crew with OXPs, so you don't download one crew-OXP, but an OXP for every voice/role you want to have.
Yupp. Currently the easiest (and probably fastest way). Or you could make a suggestion to get customsounds.plist scriptable - then it would be possible to create a framework that checks for the installed packs and offers crewmembers if available.
Corny wrote:
Also, I wanted to record more than one file for one event. It is possible to assign multiple sounds for one event which are selected randomized then, right?
Multiple sounds - yes. Randomized? Haven't tried it, but don't expect too much 'random' .-) It's a computer .-)
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Svengali wrote:
Corny wrote:
Multiple sounds - yes. Randomized? Haven't tried it, but don't expect too much 'random' .-) It's a computer .-)
No big problem. It's just that it shouldn't be always the same file so it sounds at least a bit more human.

Edit: Is there a trigger for "Hyperspeed activated"? What would I have to insert into the customsounds.plist?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Corny wrote:
Svengali wrote:
Corny wrote:
No big problem. It's just that it shouldn't be always the same file so it sounds at least a bit more human.

Edit: Is there a trigger for "Hyperspeed activated"? What would I have to insert into the customsounds.plist?
1. There's a thread somewhere about how to get 'random' sounds. Found it:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=73673#73673

just add as many .ogg sound files inside the round brackets, and Oolite will select one at random whenever it's needed.

2. Do look inside sound OXPs to find out directly what's what! There isn't a specific trigger for hyperspeed in 1.73.4 afaik (there might be one in 1.74, but I'm not sure yet), but you can check if the speed you're travelling at is faster than the normal max speed, and play a specific sound if that's the case... Checking if your speed is higher than max speed was somewhere on the board too, and playing a sound is documented on the wiki! Hopefully the info shouldn't be too difficult to find!

However, if you just want to replace the afterburner sound, put a new afterburner1.ogg inside the Sounds directory.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Kaks wrote:
1. There's a thread somewhere about how to get 'random' sounds. Found it:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=73673#73673

just add as many .ogg sound files inside the round brackets, and Oolite will select one at random whenever it's needed.
Alright, thanks!
Kaks wrote:
2. Do look inside sound OXPs to find out directly what's what!

I already reuse .plists from other OXPs instead of writing them myself, but I didn't find a trigger for that.
Kaks wrote:
There isn't a specific trigger for hyperspeed in 1.73.4 afaik (there might be one in 1.74, but I'm not sure yet), but you can check if the speed you're travelling at is faster than the normal max speed, and play a specific sound if that's the case... Checking if your speed is higher than max speed was somewhere on the board too, and playing a sound is documented on the wiki! Hopefully the info shouldn't be too difficult to find!

Mhh but that would mean it could be as well the afterburner or the hyperspeed, so I can't assign a soundfile specifically for afterburner or hyperspeed.
Kaks wrote:
However, if you just want to replace the afterburner sound, put a new afterburner1.ogg inside the Sounds directory.
I will if I record a good sound for that, but my main intention is recording voices. And someone saying "swooooosh!" when you activate the afterburner is kiiiinda silly. :D
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Corny wrote:
And someone saying "swooooosh!" when you activate the afterburner is kiiiinda silly. :D
Damn, rumbled.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

aegidian wrote:
Corny wrote:
And someone saying "swooooosh!" when you activate the afterburner is kiiiinda silly. :D
Damn, rumbled.
:D:D:D:D:D :twisted: