caduceus and neocaduceus

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

caduceus and neocaduceus

Post by Commander McLane »

Quick question:

Is the neocaduceus.oxp supposed to replace the caduceus.oxp, or live side by side with it?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

As I was asked to remove the old Caduceus from OSE I assume the neo is intended to replace the old.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

99% sure that Lestradae is right. It probably wouldn't take long to dig out the thread where this is stated, as I remember seeing comments to this effect not too long ago.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Sendraks wrote:
99% sure that Lestradae is right. It probably wouldn't take long to dig out the thread where this is stated, as I remember seeing comments to this effect not too long ago.
Wasn't it written that this was how the ship reacted to the events of "Rise of the Kirin"?

Screet
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Screet wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
Wasn't it written that this was how the ship reacted to the events of "Rise of the Kirin"?

Screet
Yes, I believe that was Clym's intention.

In ROTK, the Hammer of Sorrow got severely shot up. Were it a purely mechanical ship, it would've been written off as totaled. But it's a biomechanical entity, and re-formed itself. The reconfiguration spread throughout the rest of the operational Caduceus.
And there you have it, neocacuceus obsoletes and replaces caduceus.

I'm recounting from memory here; Clym can correct me if he likes.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

There were several major problems with the original caduceus,

1) it was over powered.
2) the sites were off.
3) I couldn't physically justify the cargo space in relation to the ship size.
4) The texture made it look less bio, and more medievil.

the neo is a vast improvement in relation to game balace, accuracy, look and handling.

I have a copy of the old oxp, although why someone would want to fly a work in progress. Is beyond me.

Just as a broken bone grows back stronger, so too the rebuild of the ship. After the Battle for Tabicea, the ship regrew altering itself to better survive such an encounter in the future. These improvements where then deceminated and taken up by the other surviving ships. As such, the old version ceased to exist.

This change (although purely pragmatic in nature) has been incorperated into the mythos of the craft in the wiki, also in the fictional works written regarding it.

Dump the old oxp and go for the new one. (your save files might need a touch of altering and have a mostly empty cargo hold when you do) :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks, that was the information I needed.

I was just wandering, because the all names are completely different. caduceus.oxp vs. neocaduceus.oxp, and also the internal filenames and plist entries.

So all this looked as if the second OXP was carefully designed not to replace the first one. I would have found it much easier if the second version would have been named caduceus.oxp, and on dropping in my AddOns folder would have removed the first version automatically. Your naming policy seemed to suggest two independent OXPs, that's why I asked.

Oh, and by the way, and speaking about naming policy: "turrettex.png" is not a good choice of filename, if you are not calling for it to be overwritten by somebody else, or you have intended it to overwrite somebody else's texture.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
Thanks, that was the information I needed.

I was just wandering, because the all names are completely different. caduceus.oxp vs. neocaduceus.oxp, and also the internal filenames and plist entries.

So all this looked as if the second OXP was carefully designed not to replace the first one. I would have found it much easier if the second version would have been named caduceus.oxp, and on dropping in my AddOns folder would have removed the first version automatically. Your naming policy seemed to suggest two independent OXPs, that's why I asked.
Well, I didn't want conflicts in the change over period.
Commander McLane wrote:
Oh, and by the way, and speaking about naming policy: "turrettex.png" is not a good choice of filename, if you are not calling for it to be overwritten by somebody else, or you have intended it to overwrite somebody else's texture.
You know I think that's the closest thing I'll ever get to a compliment (regarding this ship). At the very least it proves in some small way (more in a miffed, slightly annoyed and aloof kind of way admittedly) in a dark and seldom visited region of the soul, you care. Thank you!

I shall do my best to live up to your sizable expectations. I think I can fix that texture without screwing everything up, I do remember one of the models really doesn't like it if you go altering it's texture name.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

ClymAngus wrote:
You know I think that's the closest thing I'll ever get to a compliment (regarding this ship).
From me, or from anybody in this whole wide world? (The latter would be more than just a little scary, and quite discouraging on top of that. :cry: )

So let me say it publicly: The Caduceus is a very good-looking and exciting ship and enriches the Ooniverse of any Ooliteer who dares to install it! I enjoy having it in my personal mix. (Which doesn't mean that it is my player ship of choice. But that again doesn't take away anything of the beauty of the ship.) (Oh, and you may put this (probably without the addendum in parenthesis) in a golden frame and stitch it onto your dashboard, if you like. :wink: )
ClymAngus wrote:
At the very least it proves in some small way (more in a miffed, slightly annoyed and aloof kind of way admittedly)
Am I so bad? My oh my, what shall I do? Really, contrary to popular belief it is not the deeper purpose of my life to annoy each and everybody. Perhaps I need to take a diploma in Advanced Politeness?
ClymAngus wrote:
in a dark and seldom visited region of the soul, you care. Thank you!
Oh, I do care. I care a lot about Oolite. And I care about your creation. I don't want anybody else's creation to harm or eradicate it.
ClymAngus wrote:
I shall do my best to live up to your sizable expectations. I think I can fix that texture without screwing everything up, I do remember one of the models really doesn't like it if you go altering it's texture name.
Actually it's not so much about my expectations, but about a reasonable effort not to break each other's work. And I am not even the most important voice in the desert, if it comes to using unique identifiers. That would be Ahruman, another_commander, and a couple more coders.

As far as altering texture names in a model is concerned, it comes down to the search & replace function in a non-evil text editor. Look into Anarchies or Cataclysm. There is not a single identifier (be it a plist-entry or a texture, model, or shader file name) which doesn't begin with either "anarchies" or "cataclysm". And many of the files are recycled wholesale from other OXPs. So I had to change the texture names in the model files.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
From me, or from anybody in this whole wide world? (The latter would be more than just a little scary, and quite discouraging on top of that. :cry: )
It not your fault your grumpy. Your a spam assassin a naturally skeptical outlook is practically essential. Mind you it has been noted that we have been lightly butting heads for some weeks now. <Butt> :D
Commander McLane wrote:
So let me say it publicly: The Caduceus is a very good-looking and exciting ship and enriches the Ooniverse of any Ooliteer who dares to install it! I enjoy having it in my personal mix. (Which doesn't mean that it is my player ship of choice. But that again doesn't take away anything of the beauty of the ship.) (Oh, and you may put this (probably without the addendum in parenthesis) in a golden frame and stitch it onto your dashboard, if you like. :wink: )
Sarcasm, excellent. Now you see was that so hard? :)
All the worlds the stage as they say, just don't get caught still playing the dramatic role, during the farce intermission. Here have a custard pie. The air is thick with them.
Commander McLane wrote:
Am I so bad? My oh my, what shall I do? Really, contrary to popular belief it is not the deeper purpose of my life to annoy each and everybody. Perhaps I need to take a diploma in Advanced Politeness?
Na. There is the worrying fear that your actually being serious, sometimes. But then I just think your a jolly good actor, playing the gag masterfully. Truly it takes more to play the straight man than it ever did the fool. Don't go changing. Your brilliant.
Commander McLane wrote:
Actually it's not so much about my expectations, but about a reasonable effort not to break each other's work. And I am not even the most important voice in the desert, if it comes to using unique identifiers. That would be Ahruman, another_commander, and a couple more coders.
Duly noted. In all seriousness (in the interest of not frying other peoples s**t, that's just ungentlemanly) I'll see what I can do. Ok fixed, or renamed cadturret.png
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Commander McLane wrote:
"turrettex.png" is not a good choice of filename, if you are not calling for it to be overwritten by somebody else, or you have intended it to overwrite somebody else's texture.
That's a good spot, and not that hard to fix. 8)

Now why didn't I think of that when I was restatting the thing? Oh well, 20/20 rearview. BTW, there's a glitch in the Caddy-exclusive equipment script that causes the game to freeze solid when the player ship dies. It's defied my best efforts to fix it so far. Yay, fun with timers... That's a job for a better java wizard than I, methinks.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Oh well, 20/20 rearview. BTW, there's a glitch in the Caddy-exclusive equipment script that causes the game to freeze solid when the player ship dies. It's defied my best efforts to fix it so far. Yay, fun with timers... That's a job for a better java wizard than I, methinks.
Guess what...since the last OSE update I've also got the DCN and thus had a crash after eq was repaired. pwm already had a look at short look at that file, but it was still messed up, so I also went through it. This is how it's looking now:

Code: Select all

this.name = "Caduceus Damage Control Node";
this.author = "Modified Thargoid's repair bots for Caduceus, by Wyvern";
this.copyright = "2009";
this.description = "Nanite autorepair node for Caduceus class bioships. Simulates an AI controlled self-healing nanoforge and damage control teams to repair kit over time.";
this.version = "0.1";

this.shipLaunchedFromStation = function() {
	if (player.ship.hasEquipment("EQ_DCN")) {	
		if (this.damageControlTimer) {
			this.damageControlTimer.start();
		} else {
			this.damageControlTimer = new Timer(this, this.repairShip, 60, 300);
		}
	}
};

this.shipExitedWitchspace = function() {
	if (player.ship.hasEquipment("EQ_DCN")) {	
		} else {
			this.damageControlTimer = new Timer(this, this.repairShip, 60, 300);
		}
	}
};

this.equipmentDamaged = this.equipmentDestroyed  = function(equipment) {
	if (equipment == "EQ_DCN") {
		if(this.damageControlTimer) {
			this.damageControlTimer.stop(); 
			delete this.damageControlTimer;
		}
		if(this.damageNodeTimer) {
			this.damageNodeTimer.start();
		} else {
			this.damageNodeTimer = new Timer(this, this.restoreNode, 0, 60);
		}
	}
};

this.playerWillEnterWitchspace = function() {
	}
    if (this.damageNodeTimer) {
		this.damageNodeTimer.stop();
		delete this.damageNodeTimer;
	}
};

this.shipDockedWithStation = function()
{
	}		     
}

this.shipDied = function()
{
	}
	}		     		
}

this.repairShip = function() 
	{ 
	if (0 < oolite.compareVersion("1.72")) 
		{ 
		// 1.71.x or earlier 
		this.thePlayerShip = player; 
		} 
	else 
		{ 
		// 1.72 or later 
		this.thePlayerShip = player.ship; 
		}
	this.damagedList = ["EQ_UPS_IDCLEANER_DAMAGED", "EQ_UPS_UNIVERSAL_SCANNER_DAMAGED", "EQ_UPS_POLICE_SCANNER_DAMAGED", "EQ_CARGO_BAY_DAMAGED", "EQ_ECM_DAMAGED", "EQ_FUEL_SCOOPS_DAMAGED", "EQ_ESCAPE_POD_DAMAGED", "EQ_ENERGY_BOMB_DAMAGED", "EQ_ENERGY_UNIT_DAMAGED", "EQ_NAVAL_ENERGY_UNIT_DAMAGED", "EQ_DOCK_COMP_DAMAGED", "EQ_GAL_DRIVE_DAMAGED", "EQ_CLOAKING_DEVICE_DAMAGED", "EQ_PASSENGER_BERTH_DAMAGED", "EQ_FUEL_INJECTION_DAMAGED", "EQ_SCANNER_SHOW_MISSILE_TARGET_DAMAGED", "EQ_MULTI_TARGET_DAMAGED", "EQ_ADVANCED_COMPASS_DAMAGED", "EQ_ADVANCED_NAVIGATIONAL_ARRAY_DAMAGED", "EQ_TARGET_MEMORY_DAMAGED", "EQ_SHIELD_BOOSTER_DAMAGED", "EQ_NAVAL_SHIELD_BOOSTER_DAMAGED", "EQ_HEAT_SHIELD_DAMAGED", "EQ_FRAME_FUEL_COLLECTOR_DAMAGED", "EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER_DAMAGED", "EQ_ROCKHERMIT_SCANNER_DAMAGED", "EQ_EEU_DAMAGED", "EQ_MISSILE_ANALYSER_DAMAGED", "EQ_HYPER_RADIO_DAMAGED", "EQ_AMS_DAMAGED", "EQ_WELCOME_MAT_DAMAGED", "EQ_PLANETFALL_DAMAGED", "EQ_DUMMY" ];
	this.screenList = ["Pirate ID Cleaner", "Universal Scanner", "GalCop Scanner", "Large Cargo Bay", "E.C.M.", "Fuel Scoops", "Escape Pod", "Energy Bomb", "Extra Energy Enit", "Naval Energy Unit", "Docking Computers", "Galactic Hyperdrive", "Cloaking Device", "Passenger Berth", "Witchdrive Fuel Injectors", "Scanner Targeting Enhancement", "Multi-Targeting System", "Advanced Space Compass", "Advanced Navigational Array", "Target System Memory Expansion", "Shield Boosters", "Naval Shield Enhancement", "External Heat Shielding", "Fuel Collector", "Bounty Scanner", "Rock Hermit Locator", "Emergency Energy Unit", "Missile Analyser", "HyperRadio", "Anti-Missile System", "Planetary Information System", "Planetary Landing Capability", "Nothing could be" ];
	this.eqChance = [70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 100]; // percentage chance of equipment being fixed, for tech <9 chance = 100%, dropping 10% per level above 8.
	this.damListLength = this.damagedList.length - 1;
	this.screenListLength = this.screenList.length - 1;
	this.playerDamagedList = []; // reset the list for each new usage of the repair bots.
	this.playerDamagedItem = []; // array of locations within the above list.
	let eqCounter = 0 ; // reset the counter
	for(eqCounter = 0;eqCounter<=this.damListLength;eqCounter++)
		{
		this.checkItem = this.damagedList[eqCounter];
		if(this.thePlayerShip.hasEquipment(this.checkItem))
			{
			this.playerDamagedList.push(this.checkItem) // if it's broke, add it to the list.
			this.playerDamagedItem.push(eqCounter) // keep a note of where in the list it is.
			}
		}
	this.plistlength = this.playerDamagedList.length;
	if(this.plistlength == 0)
		{
		player.consoleMessage("All systems nominal.",5)
		}
	else
		{
		let damagedEquipment = Math.floor(Math.random() * this.plistlength); // pick a random element from the list...
		this.damagedItem = this.playerDamagedList[damagedEquipment]; // ...define the item...
		this.damagedItemNumber = this.playerDamagedItem[damagedEquipment]; // where the item to be repaired is in the list
		this.fixedItem = this.damagedItem.substring(0,this.damagedItem.length-8);
		this.fixedName = this.screenList[this.damagedItemNumber]; // define it's screen name
		this.fixChance = this.eqChance[this.damagedItemNumber]; // for tech <9 chance = 100%, dropping 10% per level above 8.
		this.fixTry = Math.random() * 100;
		if(this.fixTry < this.fixChance)
			{
			this.fixItem();
			}
		else
			{
			player.consoleMessage(this.fixedName + " is still offlined, Captain. We shall try again soon.",5);
			}
		}
	}

this.restoreNode = function() 
	{ 
	if (0 < oolite.compareVersion("1.72")) 
		{ 
		// 1.71.x or earlier 
		this.thePlayerShip = player; 
		} 
	else 
		{ 
		// 1.72 or later 
		this.thePlayerShip = player.ship; 
		}
	this.damagedList = ["EQ_DCN_DAMAGED", "EQ_DUMMY" ];
	this.screenList = ["Damage Control Node", "Nothing could be" ];
	this.eqChance = [75, 100]; // percentage chance of equipment being fixed, for tech <9 chance = 100%, dropping 10% per level above 8.
	this.damListLength = this.damagedList.length - 1;
	this.screenListLength = this.screenList.length - 1;
	this.playerDamagedList = []; // reset the list for each new usage of the repair bots.
	this.playerDamagedItem = []; // array of locations within the above list.
	let eqCounter = 0 ; // reset the counter
	for(eqCounter = 0;eqCounter<=this.damListLength;eqCounter++)
		{
		this.checkItem = this.damagedList[eqCounter];
		if(this.thePlayerShip.hasEquipment(this.checkItem))
			{
			this.playerDamagedList.push(this.checkItem) // if it's broke, add it to the list.
			this.playerDamagedItem.push(eqCounter) // keep a note of where in the list it is.
			}
		}
	this.plistlength = this.playerDamagedList.length;
	if(this.plistlength == 0) {
		player.consoleMessage("Damage Control Node regenerated! Repairs resuming.",5)
		}
		} else {
			this.damageControlTimer = new Timer(this, this.repairNode, 60, 300)
		}
	} else {
		let damagedEquipment = Math.floor(Math.random() * this.plistlength); // pick a random element from the list...
		this.damagedItem = this.playerDamagedList[damagedEquipment]; // ...define the item...
		this.damagedItemNumber = this.playerDamagedItem[damagedEquipment]; // where the item to be repaired is in the list
		this.fixedItem = this.damagedItem.substring(0,this.damagedItem.length-8);
		this.fixedName = this.screenList[this.damagedItemNumber]; // define it's screen name
		this.fixChance = this.eqChance[this.damagedItemNumber]; // for tech <9 chance = 100%, dropping 10% per level above 8.
		this.fixTry = Math.random() * 100;
		if(this.fixTry < this.fixChance)
			{
			this.fixItem();
			}
		else
			{
			player.consoleMessage(this.fixedName + " is regenerating. Stand by.",5);
			}
		}
	}

this.fixItem = function()
	{
	this.thePlayerShip.setEquipmentStatus(this.fixedItem,"EQUIPMENT_OK"); // and actually fix the thing!
	player.consoleMessage(this.fixedName + " repaired and online.", 5)
	switch(this.fixedItem) // specific OXP equipment which need rebooting after fixing, or have other issues.
		{
		case "EQ_FRAME_FUEL_COLLECTOR":
			{
			if(worldScripts["Fuel Collector"]) 
				{
				worldScripts["Fuel Collector"].shipLaunchedFromStation(); // restart the timers in it's world script
				}
			}
			break;
		case "EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER":			
			{
			if(worldScripts["Bounty Scanner"])
				{
				worldScripts["Bounty Scanner"].shipLaunchedFromStation(); // restart the timers in it's world script
				}
			}
			break;
		case "EQ_EEU":
			{
			if(worldScripts["Emergency Energy Unit"])
				{
				worldScripts["Emergency Energy Unit"].shipLaunchedFromStation(); // restart the timers in it's world script
				}
			}
			break;
		case "EQ_ROCKHERMIT_SCANNER": 
			{ 
			if(worldScripts["rockHermit_Locator"]) 
				{ 
				if(worldScripts["rockHermit_Locator"].version == "1.2.3")
					{
					worldScripts["rockHermit_Locator"].shipLaunchedFromStation() // use the inbuild scripting of the OXP to restart it.
					}
				else
					{
					this.beacons = system.shipsWithPrimaryRole("rockbeacof"); // list the inactive beacons (no lights or "R" on compass) 
					if(this.beacons.length > 0) 
						{ 
						for (let i=0; i<this.beacons.length;i++) 
							{ 
							this.beacons[i].setPosition(this.beacons[i].position.multiply(100)); //throw the rockbeacof into space... 
							this.beacons[i].explode(); //...and blow it up. 
							} 
						} 
					worldScripts["rockHermit_Locator"].buoy = "rockbeacon" 
					worldScripts["rockHermit_Locator"].addBuoys() // no inactive beacons, so use original code to add active beacons. 
					}
				} 
			}
			break; 
		}
	}
Didn't have a crash since updating it, but that is, of course, not saying that it's all correct now.

Screet
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I'm not sure what you did to fix it, but thanks for this. 8)

I updated the script and sent it off to Clym; he'll update the d/l link asap.

Since the felinid is out of the brig, I'll say this:
The DCN is Caddy exclusive. Period. It's not, and never shall be an open-market item.
The Shulth don't want every Tom Dick and Jameson to go bolting it onto a Cobra and expecting it to work, and I have a starving, rabid trumble which will go down the pants of anyone who tries. :twisted:
You want a DCN, then buy a Caddy; if that enslaves you to the Monks for a thousand gal-standard years, well them's the breaks.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
I'm not sure what you did to fix it, but thanks for this. 8)

I updated the script and sent it off to Clym; he'll update the d/l link asap.
Please test it thoroughly before!

Since sending this, I also did add a few other equipment items to the repair list, not sure if you like these:

"EQ_WORMHOLE_SCANNER_DAMAGED","EQ_MISJUMP_ANALYSER_DAMAGED","EQ_MILITARY_SCANNER_FILTER_DAMAGED","EQ_MILITARY_JAMMER_DAMAGED","EQ_RMB_CHAFF_LAUNCHER_DAMAGED","EQ_COMBAT_COMP_DAMAGED"

"Wormhole Scanner","Misjump Analyser","Military Scanner Filtering","Military Scanner Jammer","Chaff Dispenser","Combat Computers"
Screet
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Screet wrote:
Since sending this, I also did add a few other equipment items to the repair list, not sure if you like these:

"EQ_WORMHOLE_SCANNER_DAMAGED","EQ_MISJUMP_ANALYSER_DAMAGED","EQ_MILITARY_SCANNER_FILTER_DAMAGED","EQ_MILITARY_JAMMER_DAMAGED","EQ_RMB_CHAFF_LAUNCHER_DAMAGED","EQ_COMBAT_COMP_DAMAGED"

"Wormhole Scanner","Misjump Analyser","Military Scanner Filtering","Military Scanner Jammer","Chaff Dispenser","Combat Computers"
Screet
These won't be included. In fact, some noncombat, non-irreplacable items were removed.
Reasons:
Womhole scanner - No need to repair everything. Priority given to combat essentials and irreplacables, of which this isn't.
Misjump detector - See above.
Chaff launcher - Well, maybe. I'll think about it. However not everyone uses the M&B pack - I don't - in which case including this would be pointless.
MASC and related kit - NO!! These are officially unsupported, "illegal" items, and as such won't be supported here either.
Combat computer - WTH is that? Meh. Again, no need to autorepair everything.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC