Cannot convert OBJ to DAT in both Win and Linux

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Cannot convert OBJ to DAT in both Win and Linux

Post by Commander Learner »

I have installed Python 26 and tried converting an obj file to a dat file using obj2dattex.py, but it just can´t be done! I go Start-->Run-->CMD-->cd\python 26--->obj2dattex.py brick.obj-->enter--->It tells me that it could be an external command etc. What do you all do? :cry:
Shooting polygons since 2001
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I think I have seen some discussions about newer Python versions not playing very well with obj2dattex.py. You may want to try installing Python 2.4 or 2.5 and see if this helps.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thanks. And sorry about the 2 year apart post, didn't want to post a new topic about something already posted :P
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And on Windows, you don't need to be in the Python directory to run things. Just put the obj2dat.py and your obj/mtl/png files in the same place, cd to that directory and from the command prompt do obj2dat.py <filename>.obj.

But as A_C says there are some issues with v2.6, but slightly earlier ones certainly work. Also I think I'm using (successfully) obj2dat.py, not obj2dattex.py . These of course may be the same file just with a re-name along the way somewhere...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, they all need converting to run successfully in 2.6 ( they were developed and work fine in 2.4), they're indeed different scripts, some developed earlier than others. Obj2dattex.py is slightly more complex than obj2dat, which serves as a valuable reference if you need to twiddle the converstion files...

Btw, python is an interpreted language, so those .py files are just text. If you're interested, you can edit them ( upgrade them to 2.6, anyone? ) in notepad++ already! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Thargoid wrote:
But as A_C says there are some issues with v2.6, but slightly earlier ones certainly work. Also I think I'm using (successfully) obj2dat.py, not obj2dattex.py . These of course may be the same file just with a re-name along the way somewhere...
On a related matter, I had to downgrade Python 2.6 to 2.4 due to 1.73.4 dev source tools python debug console requiring tcl8.4 :shock:
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, that's why we provide the js console as a precompiled executable in windows. It neatly sidesteps most of these issues; besides, the average windows user would be stumped by having to install python in the first place... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Glee! :D

This being available not from the oolite.org site, but from berlios.de instead. from http://prdownload.berlios.de/oolite-lin ... le-1.0.zip

<stimpy>Squeal!</stimpy>
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Another Problem (Sheesh..) Can't save shipdata file as plist.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander Learner wrote:
Another Problem (Sheesh..) Can't save shipdata file as plist.
A plist file is just a text file with a different extension. So worst case scenario make a .txt file (using a suitable editor that will write a vanilla text file without adding all sorts of hidden/special characters in it, ie not Windows Notepad) and then rename it from <foo>.txt to <foo>.plist.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Isn't it Wordpad that adds all those hidden stuff? Thanks anyway. :wink:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

No, Wordpad is fine (it's what I 50:50 use in parallel with Notepad ++) again as long as you're saving to text files of course.

It's Notepad that screws things up (mainly in relation to carriage returns and line feeds iirc).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Y’know, there must be someone in the commoonity who knows their way around Python and can upgrade our various scripts. Come on, someone! There’s a listing in the illustrious Official Contributors File up for grabs!
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Funny, I've had no problems with objtodattex.py & Python 2.6 on my machine (Win XP pro SP3).

As long as you have UV-mapped the model and have:
objtodattex.py
.obj
.mtl
.tga
in the same directory, and type objtodattex.py *yourmodel*.obj in command prompt (having navigated to correct directory there) + hit enter.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Yeah...could do it already, many ships a'coming this way. Thanks for the help everyone :D . Say, I don't see my ships anywhere in the game.....do they need a shipyard.plist file in the config or just the shipdata file?