Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

I've added to box a remake of Angus Duggan's Ophidian from Elite-A:

It's a player flyable trader, I've made it sort of similar in spec to the python, but maybe it should be much smaller - the Acorn Arcade page http://elite.acornarcade.com/ships/ophidian.htm has it down as only having 24T of cargo space, but I wanted it to be something bigger as there's lots of small ships in my ship set already!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

A very nice ship, is that... thanks Griff. Is the washed-out colour on its underside intended? I like it, anyway.

Edit to add: I've just taken a nice purple model for a spin, and I really love the underside paintwork - very cool!
Last edited by Cody on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Great looking ship Griff.

I'll download it tomorrow :-)
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:D
Cody wrote:
Is the washed-out colour on its underside intended?
yeah, it didn't look great with some of the white panels on the underside and just leaving it grey like on the other ships looked a bit boring so i sort of added the paint to the underside and then stuck a picture of some gravel (i think it was) onto it to act as a transparency mask so it looked like the paint had been mostly worn away :D
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

They are getting stronger and stronger! :D
I have some designs you may be interested in..? I keep threatening to post up ideas I sketch :oops:
Gouanaco
Competent
Competent

Post by Gouanaco »

Sorry im lazy about this and didn't go looking through the 100+ replies in this thread :P

But my Griffs ship, always seems to have a skull and bones on the side.... how do i change that?
I thought it was related to your rating or legal status... but its still a skull and bones :P

So is there anyway to get other icon/designs :D
Commander: Gouanaco
Ship: { Cobra Mark III }
Galaxy: [1]
Legal Status: Clean
Rating: Average (63)
Career: Trader/Bounty Hunter
Cash: 12 956.4@ (credits)
Cody

Post by Cody »

In the Griff_Shipset_Resources OXP, go to Textures and find griff_player_decal.png - this an image 256x256 in size. Create (or find) an image of your choice, size it to 256x256 (using an image editor such as Gimp), name it griff_player_decal.png and replace the original (the skull and crossbones).

That's how I do it - but there's possibly an OXP or alternative method somewhere.
Gouanaco
Competent
Competent

Post by Gouanaco »

Cody wrote:
In the Griff_Shipset_Resources OXP, go to Textures and find griff_player_decal.png - this an image 256x256 in size. Create (or find) an image of your choice, size it to 256x256 (using an image editor such as Gimp), name it griff_player_decal.png and replace the original (the skull and crossbones).

That's how I do it - but there's possibly an OXP or alternative method somewhere.
Thanks Cody :D
I have a few icons up my sleeve :P (Cue: "Troll Face")
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gouanaco wrote:
I have a few icons up my sleeve
You should switch to Griff's multi-decal Player Cobra III - you can have four custom decals on that.
Gouanaco
Competent
Competent

Post by Gouanaco »

Cody wrote:
Gouanaco wrote:
I have a few icons up my sleeve
You should switch to Griff's multi-decal Player Cobra III - you can have four custom decals on that.
ok thx... i shall do that :D

Is there multi-decals only for the Cobra M III or is there some other ships that can use/do that aswell?
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Don't remember seeing anything about a fix for this problem with the Griff Krait:

Code: Select all

23:25:02.658 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment shader uses varying gl_TexCoord but vertex shader does not write to it.

23:25:02.659 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
  23:25:02.685 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment shader uses varying gl_TexCoord but vertex shader does not write to it.

23:25:02.685 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment.
  23:25:02.779 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

23:25:02.779 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
  23:25:02.805 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

23:25:02.806 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment.
  23:25:02.835 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

23:25:02.835 [shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
  23:25:02.863 [shader.link.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL shader program linking failed for griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:

23:25:02.864 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_krait_enviromap.vertex/griff_krait_chrome_scoop_eu.fragment.
BTW I also had a log error with the Orbital Shuttle, which was caused by one of the shader file names getting truncated (either by my zip application or Griff's) because, including the file extension, it was more than 64 characters long. The file name was truncated to griff_orbital_shuttle_g_channel_decals_constant_light_f.fragment but I think the call for it had it as griff_orbital_shuttle_g_channel_decals_constant_light_fragment.fragment. I simply changed the call to the shorter file name, and now the orbital shuttle has working lights.

This Griff Krait error is a bit trickier though...
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Keeper, which version of Oolite? Have you got shaders? What version of OpenGL?
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Yes, I have shaders. It looks like the error is triggered by something not getting set up by the .vertex files, so I don't think Oolite version or OpenGL version makes any difference (if it did, other ships would be affected); they're both up to date, anyway.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ah this error in the log

Code: Select all

rings a bell, i think i had a few of these bugs in my shaders at one point, it looks like this oxp might need updating, if you haven't already got it grab Eric Walch's update of this oxp https://app.box.com/shared/i9aznk80x9/1 ... /440935708 rather than my release - Eric's updatehas some amazing scripting going on in it that makes the external subentity equipment on the ship behave properly - eg shoot off the fuel injectors ad the krait can't use them anymore etc!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Keeper wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Keeper, which version of Oolite? Have you got shaders? What version of OpenGL?
Yes, I have shaders. It looks like the error is triggered by something not getting set up by the .vertex files, so I don't think Oolite version or OpenGL version makes any difference (if it did, other ships would be affected); they're both up to date, anyway.
What I was trying to find out, you're not running the test release of the Windows 64-bit version of Oolite 1.77.1 are you?