Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by JazHaz »

Storm wrote:
I might be able to help there, though this was intended for the Colonization oxp I was working on with with Okti that has fallen on the wayside. The Torus colony station uses Griff's textures. :)

I want!
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Not having a lot of time to program unfortunately at present, but if someone wants to volunteer I can provide the pieces and texture through Box to create the station with. I can probably pull the model shipdata for the single-ringed version of the Torus station out of the colonization files as well (to keep the dual-ringed version for the possibility that the colonization oxp goes ahead once more as more of a reward) so all the rotations would be already done. Would just need a bit of oxp polish then to get them spinning throughout the Eight.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow Storm!. Looks good. 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Griff wrote:
updated the oxp yet again to v1.2 :roll: - added a minimum brightness level for PaintColor1, keeps the ships paint from getting too dark and blotchy
Missed this update, whoops!

I've been flying the v1.1 Gnat, nice little ship. I started a Jameson yesterday with the excellent Start Choices OXP selling my Hauler start option Python, and buying the Gnat at Lave. Enough money from the Python to nearly fully equip the Gnat! But thats another story!

My query is, the Gnat doesn't seem to be compatible with the Respray for Griff's Ships OXP? Or does the Respray OXP need updating? If the latter with Capt Murphy being MIA I don't know what the chances are!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Yeah it looks as if individual entries for the ships have to be coded into the Respray_for_Griffs.js file in Capt Murphy's amazing OXP, there's references to the ships popping up in the code all over the place though so I don't think it's as simple as just adding the player version onto the end of a list unfortunately which is what I was hoping :(
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've uploaded to box an alternative model & texture for my Viper remake, it's listed as "Griff_Viper_Alt_V1.0.zip", it's my first attempt at using more than one material in a ship (i split the scrolling purple/blue emergency lights into their own material so they could have their own shader and set of textures)

Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Very nice!! Are all these alternative versions going to replace your full packages, as soon as the standard shipset is complete?
Last edited by Tichy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I'll keep both sets available, and this one will be a higher spec ship-set (that viper's about 4000 polygons :shock: ) I'd really like to use just the one fragment shader for all these ships and to limit the models to just one .dat file each so i'm really excited that my go at using 'materials' worked out OK :lol:
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

The Viper looks fantastic Griff :wink:

Excellent work.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Absolutely - sniggers when seeing the glowing gun .-)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Svengali wrote:
Absolutely - sniggers when seeing the glowing gun .-)
Yeah, it looks like a tongue sticking out! :P
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

I was tryng the Fer-de-lance 2013 and I noticed that it doesn't have any light on the hull, no cabin light, no exaust light... Is it intentional, or is an issue?
Image Image Image Image
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

hmm, that looks like either your game is set to 'Simple Shaders' mode or 'Shaders Off' in Oolite's F2 options screen or there's a bug in the fragment shader for the player ship that's stopping the shader from compiling and running during the game - there'll be messages in the log if this is the case. I'll have a look at the oxp this evening, i might have accidentally broken it when i updated it last

edit: just noticed that the Coriolis shaders are working in your screenshot so it's a bug in the fer-de-lance oxp, i'll get it fixed
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

@Tichy - I couldn't find a fault with the fer-de-lance shader, oddly enough the op is at V1.0 - which is usually the bug filled version - my OXPs have to get up to about v1.2.45 or whatever until they start working :lol: Is there anything in the log about a shader failing to compile?

In other news testing the fer-de-lance shader showed that the shaders in my Gnat oxp and the new viper oxp both fail to work in simple shader mode, the reason being that some code that should be in the 'full shader mode only' parts of the shader wasn't.
I've fixed the oxp's and re-uploaded them, if you'd like to fix the oxp yourself, open the mainhull fragment shaders from the gnat and the viper OXPs, go down to somewhere around line 186 and find these lines

Code: Select all

vec2 twmp = vec2(vTexCoord * uTime);
   float engnoise = rand(twmp);
and cut and paste them a few lines further down in the shader code so that they're after the line

Code: Select all

#ifndef OO_REDUCED_COMPLEXITY 
that'll place them in the bit of shader that runs only if the flag from Oolite 'OO_REDUCED_COMPLEXITY' is not set (ie. full shader mode)

Whilst I was updating the viper shader I took the random paint colour code out and replaced it with a dusty 'wear and tear' layer instead, now the vipers stay blue but they have a random amount of slightly less shiny dust sprinkled on them
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
... oddly enough the op is at V1.0 - which is usually the bug filled version - my OXPs have to get up to about v1.2.45 or whatever until they start working
<chuckles>
Griff wrote:
Is there anything in the log about a shader failing to compile?
I'm using the new Fer-de-Lance OXP too, and I've not seen any log errors.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!