Pirate Coves

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Pirate Coves

Post by Eric Walch »

Hereby a new release of Pirate Cove by Lazygun.

It contained a few small bugs that were already solved in the 1.1 release half a year ago. Another bug has solved itself by upgrading to Oolite 1.73.

Version 1.2.1 is now completely Oolite 1.73 aware. I had it already in the download folder for some weeks but postponed the announcement as the changes would only be visible with Oolite 1.73.

For who wants to use pirate coves with 1.73 please upgrade to Pirate Coves 1.2.1
With this version pirates will better find home after chasing an enemy.
Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

A slight typo...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>version</key>
<string>1.43</string>
</dict>
</plist>
I'm sure you ment 1.73
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Chaky wrote:
A slight typo...

<key>version</key>
<string>1.43</string>
</dict>
</plist>
I'm sure you ment 1.73
No, it is correct. It should still be compatible with that old version. The new added stuff is just not seen by such an old Oolite. I try to make my changes in such a way it stays at least compatible with 1.65
Eric Walch

Re: Pirate Coves

Post by Eric Walch »

I just updated Pirate Cove.oxp to version 1.3.

Main changes:
- It no longer uses a fixed copy of the oolites hermit station, but can now use any rock hermit. So, with Griffs hermits installed, those can become pirate coves too.
- Randomised the number of rocks around the station. No longer always 8 (That was an indication to recognise the pirate cove).
- Randomised the number of defenders to make things less predictable.
- There will be more defenders in the hermit with players with higher scores so that those players can get frightened again for the pirate coves.
- Raised minimum Oolite to 1.74 to make all those new features possible.
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

Good news, good news. A lot of my "interesting" incidents tend to involve Pirate Coves :D
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Might want to replace scanForRandomMerchantmen with scanForRandomMerchantman in pirateCovePirateAI.plist and pirateCoveAI.plist?
It was mentioned somewhere around this forum and on
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_howto_AI
that scanForRandomMerchantmen is depreciated.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:
Might want to replace scanForRandomMerchantmen with scanForRandomMerchantman
that scanForRandomMerchantmen is depreciated.
I could do that for a next release now the oxp has become 1.74+. However the old spelling is not deprecated because it is a 1.65 command and those stay in place and will have no negative effect when used. The new singular form is more logic as the command only finds one ship.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Eric Walch wrote:
I just updated Pirate Cove.oxp to version 1.3.

Main changes:
- It no longer uses a fixed copy of the oolites hermit station, but can now use any rock hermit. So, with Griffs hermits installed, those can become pirate coves too.
- Randomised the number of rocks around the station. No longer always 8 (That was an indication to recognise the pirate cove).
- Randomised the number of defenders to make things less predictable.
- There will be more defenders in the hermit with players with higher scores so that those players can get frightened again for the pirate coves.
- Raised minimum Oolite to 1.74 to make all those new features possible.
Just what we need, thanks a lot ;)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The way Pirate Coves are added via the pirateCove.js script:
var station = system.addShipsToRoute("rockhermit", 1, 0.10+Math.random()*0.3, coordinateSystem)[0];

...means it's stuck using the Rock Hermit's commodities.plist market.
It also mass-locks me when I try to use the torus, which is strange because the original Rock Hermits do not.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Switeck wrote:
It also mass-locks me when I try to use the torus, which is strange because the original Rock Hermits do not.
Yes! A new way to ID a Pirate Cove! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Switeck wrote:
...means it's stuck using the Rock Hermit's commodities.plist market.
Never noticed that... Although I've always destroyed them whenever I've come across one.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

They don't mass-lock generally, but now the coves are no longer in the oxp. Instead it picks installed rock hermits from other oxps. Unfortunally some oxps don't define them as rock. As a optical fix they get a white scanner colour, but the right fix would be to fix the originel oxp that supplies the hermits.

I have a new release prepared were destroyed pirate coves stay destroyed for 30 days. (game clock)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

If Pirate Coves are added by the system populator, they don't mass lock and use the correct commodities.plist.
But if they're added by the pirateCove.js script, they do mass lock and use the Rock Hermit's commodities.plist.
I'm using Oolite v1.76.1 and v1.77 build 5439.

Seems adding this to the pirateCove.js script causes the Pirate Coves to use the right market commodities.plist file:
station.primaryRole = "pirate-cove"; // was rockhermit
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

The system populater can override the scanclass and sets it to rock. But a script can't change scanclass and depends on how the author had defined them. If you remove any oxp that adds hermits, you will see that when pirate coves adds rocks from the core set, they won't mass lock. It is an oxp bug, masked by the populator because it corrects these oxp bugs.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And the marketplace can be sorted out with the Market shipdata.plist key (if the entity is spawned as a station).